Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2013, 09:11 PM   #1

Unhappy TV loses signal when water pump comes on

We have a 25RKS. When the television is on and then the water pump comes on, we lose the TV signal. Just like if I turn off the pre amp at the outlet. This also happens sometimes when the AC unit comes on, but very brief. The signal does not return until the water pump turns off. Any thoughts???

I'm thinking that the water pump is on the same circuit as the TV and it is drawing to much power to keep the TV signal going.

Thanks,
Andy
medic149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:49 AM   #2

sounds like some sort of electrical interference. Check your ground connections on the pump, tv coax, preamp, maybe also at the elect panel/inverter etc. if you have access to a diffrent tv maybe hook that up to see if the problem remains to rule out the tv. not sure if it could be the pump itself causing the issue since the AC sometimes causes this but its a place to start. intresting problem, keep us updated.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #3

New twist................

Quote:
Originally Posted by exjay1 View Post
sounds like some sort of electrical interference. Check your ground connections on the pump, tv coax, preamp, maybe also at the elect panel/inverter etc. if you have access to a diffrent tv maybe hook that up to see if the problem remains to rule out the tv. not sure if it could be the pump itself causing the issue since the AC sometimes causes this but its a place to start. intresting problem, keep us updated.
Than for the info. I had a new twist last night. While using a coffee grinder, plugged in to the outlet in the kitchen, the same thing happened. Each time the grinder came on, the TV would lose signal, just as if I turned off the pre amp button.

Not the TV. Used a different TV and same thing. All wiring around the pump seemed tight. Now with the grinder doing this as well, seems like a more generalized electrical problem.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:12 AM   #4

We have a 2007 25RKS and that issue does not happen in our unit. While I do not use the water pump that often, I do use the A/C a lot. I have the Television in the Bedroom or the Dinette area and it does not happen to ours. I would look into a possible ground problem like "exjay1" mentioned.
Does it happen if the microwave is used? In other words, does it only happen with A/C or water pump? Try turning on a hair dryer or some other appliance that may have high current draw.
Are you running your trailer on battery or 120 volts?

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #5

Microwave doesn't do it........and the AC only once in a while. Anything that pulls a heavy draw from any where else in the trailer seems to do it. It is worse with a weak TV station signal. I imagine because it is pulling power from the pre amp??

I haven't researched the wiring diagram yet, but I'm wondering if everything is on the same circuit except for the AC and microwave.