Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-18-2016, 09:23 AM   #1

TV only runs on gen or shore

I have a 06 Seneca 35gs. I'm new to RVs and this is my first. Iv been reading posts but still can't find my problem. On the control panel the inverter switch the light doesn't light up when pushing the button. I checked the fuses and power input under the closet and the reset behind the vent panel and they are fine. I also checked the breakers. With the gen the tv has a whine in the sound that sounds out the sound on the TV. I'm having a sat receiver installed tomorrow and was hoping the kids would be able to watch while driving. Our first trip is 30 hours of driving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2016, 10:28 AM   #2

There may be a second fuse between the battery bank and the inverter. Inverter's input is 12vdc from that system, and the output is 120v. I would grab a voltmeter and check input to the inverter first. If no 12v, then its a problem upstream. Check fuses, ground connection of the negative battery cables, and other power connections in between. If it has 12v present, but no 120 ac at the output terminals, it's likely a bad inverter, or possibly just a remote switch. And if it has 120v output at the terminals when switched on, but none at the television power outlet, it's gotta be a circuit breaker, a fuse, or a loose connection. If it has power all the way to the television outlet and the tv still won't power up, then it's your tv.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustdevil View Post
There may be a second fuse between the battery bank and the inverter. Inverter's input is 12vdc from that system, and the output is 120v. I would grab a voltmeter and check input to the inverter first. If no 12v, then its a problem upstream. Check fuses, ground connection of the negative battery cables, and other power connections in between. If it has 12v present, but no 120 ac at the output terminals, it's likely a bad inverter, or possibly just a remote switch. And if it has 120v output at the terminals when switched on, but none at the television power outlet, it's gotta be a circuit breaker, a fuse, or a loose connection. If it has power all the way to the television outlet and the tv still won't power up, then it's your tv.
I checked the fuses in the battery compartment too. I also pulled them in and out a few times to see if there was a bad connection there. I checked the 12v fuses with a test light and they are fine.Where do I check the out put. There is a male plug coming out of the inverter. Sorry for the stupid questions but Im clueless when it comes to electrical.
F419sr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:30 PM   #4

We have a 2008 Seneca 35GS.

There is a power switch on the inverter as well. Is it on and are there any lights?
Check the attachment and tightness of the two battery cables connecting to the backside of the inverter.
There is also another standard 120VAC plug on the back on the inverter. Plug in the TV or something else to see if there's power.

This is all assuming your batteries are maintaining a charge of at least 12.5VDC and by the way the inverter will only power one TV on batteries for about 2-3 hours.
On the road I would use the generator to power everything including the TV and the inverter on batteries is not needed.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:57 PM   #5

I think I would use the generator as well. The power used from the batteries to drive the inverter, tv, and satellite receiver is replenished by the alternator under the hood. That's nowhere near as big or as capable a power generator as the genset running on fuel. The alternator is already busy powering all the electronics to handle engine management, fuel delivery, controls, etc. Not that it can't keep up, but that could be pushing the limits a bit. Your genset will use more fuel, but that's the price of admission for keeping the little ones entertained on long trips.

As for your interference issue with the genset and the television, it's possible an electrical ground issue with the tv power circuit, the genset, or if it's a propane generator, the ignition system. If it's a diesel, not too much to cause interference except maybe the injection controller??? It may actually cease to be a problem once your sat system is connected. For a quick fix, you might consider disconnecting your broadcast antenna from the back of the television, in case that's part of the problem.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:22 PM   #6

And if you have one like our '08 Seneca, make absolute sure the 12VDC disconnect switch by the main coach door is switched on.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:31 PM   #7

Thanks for the replays. I found that the switch on the inverter was switched off. Only the forward TV is hooked up to the inverter.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:39 PM   #8

That is the way mine was hardwired as well and all that I did because the inverter sits just a few feet below the bedroom TV in my '08 Seneca was to run a standard household extension cord up the back of the wardrobe drawers to that TV using the standard 120VAC outlet found on the back of the inverter as mentioned.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:17 PM   #9

Also you may need to do this mod so it works while driving.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...-on-11021.html