Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #1

Question TV speaker

The TV in my 26RLS is quite far from my rear living space which makes the TV hard to hear. The real problem is the speaker in the TV is one of the worst I've ever heard.

The TV is a Con-tinu-us I belive and the stereo is a Jensen.

Is there a way to hook the TV sound into the Jensen speaker system which has 3-4 speakers throughout the trailer?

KRP
Kevin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:02 PM   #2

Yes.

I use an FM transmitter for two purposes in my trailer.

1) I don't have outdoor speakers and I like being able to listen to the same music inside my trailer and outside my trailer. I simply plug my iphone into the FM transmitter and then I turn the trailer radio to the desired frequency. I then have a portable radio outside that I also tune to the same frequency. That way I get the same music playing both inside and outside. It works really well and I've tested the signal to about 150' through my real home exterior wall. Not a drop of static.

2) If I want the TV in my trailer louder I do exactly what you want. I take the transmitter out of my iphone and plug it into the headphone out jack on my TV. The FM transmitter then receives the audio from the TV and broadcasts it out. I just have to set my trailer radio to the same station and I'm golden. It works really, really well.

Of course, you could run cables from the TV to the radio but that requires more work. Here is the transmitter I have. http://www.ccrane.com/radios/fm-tran...x#.UFKAf1Egj8k

One word of warning though. Out of the box, the transmitter doesn't go very far at all. All you have to do is unscrew the backside of the transmitter, turn a single screw a bit and the broadcast range increases dramatically. It's not hard to do at all, ANYONE can do it. I can give you directions if you want to go that route.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #3

Our Jayco came with the same brand TV. It also came with RCA audio cables already connected to the Jensen AUX IN plug. When we hook up the TV we also plug the RCA cables to the "Audio out" on the TV. Then it plays through any of the stereo speakers throughout the trailer on any speaker setting config we want. Our dealer showed us this set up during our PDI.
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #4

cm11599ps

I think would rather run cables. The TV and stereo are about 18" apart. I am one of the few persons that doesn't use a cell phone, I pod, etc., etc. Am old school and electronically mystified.

Just wanted to know if I could couple the red, blue and white cables between the the two units.

KRP
Old 09-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #5

Explorer03.

That is what I believe would be the easiest. I got cables with my stereo but didn't know if I could do this.

KR
Old 09-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #6

If you can get to the back of the Jensen you should be albe to connect the RCA "Red" & "White" audio cables between the two units. That is the set up our TT came with.
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
Old 09-13-2012, 07:19 PM   #7

Thanks for the help. Will try tomorrow when it is daylight in Ohio.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #8

Oh no...are you a Buckeye fan?
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
Old 09-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin21 View Post
cm11599ps

I think would rather run cables. The TV and stereo are about 18" apart. I am one of the few persons that doesn't use a cell phone, I pod, etc., etc. Am old school and electronically mystified.

Just wanted to know if I could couple the red, blue and white cables between the the two units.

KRP

I understand, but there's nothing difficult at all about my idea. If you can run cables and be happy with it then go for it. With my idea, all you have to do is plug the FM transmitter into the headphone jack of the TV. Then plug the FM transmitter into the wall. Last, turn the radio on to whatever radio station is displayed on the front of the transmitter. Done and done. Being it's only 18" apart you may not even have to turn that screw thing that I mentioned first.

I would think my idea is less technical then running and trying to hide wires but like I said, go for whatever you feel comfortable with. Good luck!

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:11 AM   #10

Explorer03

I'm glad your told me what to do BEFORE you found out I was a Buckeye fan.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #11

Just let it be known that a Michigan Wolverine fan provided you some assistance.
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
Old 09-14-2012, 10:33 AM   #12

An easy way to run cable from one end of the trailer to the other end is to go pull down each of the ceiling a/c vents. The a/c foam vents are connected to each other in a straight continuous line. Then you can fish the speaker cables from a/c vent to the next a/c vent until you get to an high mounted cabinet or something that can hide your speaker cables. If you have to exit the vent be sure to use of the spray in foam to prevent cold air from the a/c unit to escape from the foam vent. Otherwise you disrupt the designed air flow pressure for the air conditioner cold air output.

My trailer has ceiling mounted cabinets on both ends of the trailer so i was able to shoot several RG and speaker cables etc thru the a/c ducts between the front and rear mounted ceiling mounted cabinets..

Just a thought for you if you are planning to run some cables from one end of the trailer to the other end...
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote