Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-29-2014, 02:58 PM   #11
First of all, are you hearing 60 cycle Mains hum? Follow this link and you will find a sound bite about half way down the page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_hum

If this is what you are hearing, then the RF chokes and coiled wires suggested above will not help.

If it is 60 cycle hum then you can check the converter as follows. Disconnect the RV shore power. Disconnect the TV from the RV 120VAC outlet. Connect the TV to an extension cord that is connected to a 120VAC receptacle outside of the RV. Now run your tests.

If the problem goes away, then the most likely source is the power converter (60 cycle ripple on the DC lighting circuit). This is assuming that there is no power inverter involved.

If the problem remains, then I would suspect the cables between the TV and the stereo or a problem with the RCA jacks on the back of the stereo.

Mike Laupp

'13 Jayco Premier 351RLTS

'11 F250 CC FX4 6.7L TD SRW
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:01 PM   #12
Thanks Threebutchers and Don, I will try those ideas this weekend and post the results. I really appreciate your feedback.

Ttrav122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:19 PM   #13
Thanks Mike! We are going camping this weekend and will try your suggestions Appreciate the advice. I'm not sure if I have an power inverter or converter or both. I just know that the main fuses are in a large back rectangular box below the oven space. So I assume that is the converter.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:26 PM   #14
Our trailer was built at the end of 2010 and I think there is a HDMI jack
at the back of the Jensen DVD player. My plan is to pull it out and connect it
to the tv. I have a similar problem you describe. When it rains, I can't hear the TV over the rain so I connect to the ceiling speakers and subsequently
get the hum. Thanks for everyone's help and for posting this.
2011 Jay Feather Select 28U
2007 Silverado Crewcab LT 6.0L
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:40 PM   #15
Site Team
TV / stereo issue

Last summer I got frustrated trying to hear. Ordered a wireless headphone (sennheiser) from Amazon. They work great.
Mine does not have a HDMI Jack.
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:03 PM   #16
Update: Jensen does not have a HDMI, only a front USB. Tried Mike's suggestion about the 50-60 cycle hum, and that is in fact the problem. So the converter is made by Iota I believe. Is that an issue that can be fixed, or is this total replacement?

Could this be related to a voltage spike that we had on a December camping trip last year? I'm not entirely sure though, that is was due to the spike or the fact I noticed a voltage drop every time the furnace kicked on. Lights would dim briefly on startup. It did get down to 22 degrees a couple nights in a row. That's way cold for down here. Whatever the cause, it knocked out the TV and the coffee maker. Thank goodness nothing else got hit. I think the morning coffee was actually MORE important than the tv! Lol.