Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-22-2016, 04:11 PM   #1

USB charging port for phones and tablets

Just purchased a new 2016 Jayco TT. The USB ports don't seem to be working. I checked the fuse, it's good. The 12v outlet connected to the same USB outlet works. Anyone have any idea of what it could be?
DonieTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 04:13 PM   #2

They will only work when you are plugged in to 120 volt power.........
Old 05-22-2016, 04:16 PM   #3

I have it plugged into my house as we speak.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:19 PM   #4

Check the circuit breakers in the panel. Make sure they are all on..
Old 05-22-2016, 04:22 PM   #5

Everything is on. The outlet has two USB ports and a 12v cigarette type outlet. The 12v has power so you would think the ports would also. Maybe they wired them incorrectly?
Old 05-22-2016, 06:19 PM   #6

I doubt that the 12v part is being supplied by the 120v input. Turn off all breakers and disconnect your battery, remove the outlet from the wall and see if the wires are connected in the electrical box behind it. Or since this is a new trailer take it back to the dealer.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:20 PM   #7

I removed the faceplate and checked out the wiring. They have the usb wired into the main wires leading to the 12v outlet then electric taped together. I was hoping I could figure this out, dealership is a hour away.. Thanks for the info us7na
Old 05-22-2016, 09:17 PM   #8

Why would the 12v outlet and USB plug (both DC power) only work when the trailer is plugged into an AC power source? That doesn't make sense. You would think that they would be supplied by the 12v system....

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:19 PM   #9

Check for 12vdc on the backs of the USB ports; if power to them is present, then they have an internal problem. They use a few components to get 5vdc for USB.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:38 AM   #10

I am having the same issue with my 2016 27BHS. We used it for the first time and the ports worked for about 5-10 minutes then stopped. All the wires, fuses, etc seem ok. I have an appointment to get the dealer to look at it, I think the ports are bad. Maybe there is a quality issue with the ports...
Mike09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:47 AM   #11

I was just looking into this board from the BLUE SEA site which I was considering adding to couple of my position in my OFF-ROAD POUP trailer

Now BLUE SEA has come out with this version which has a ON-OFF RESET switch. Maybe those go bad when you draw more then the 1A or 2A rating so BLUE SEA added the RESET switch in their 4353 Model??? I know here in the house I plug in all kinds things to the USB ports... Even the FAN PANEL my LAPTOP uses the USB port to power the DC Fan...

I notice the also have a version that has a digital DC VOLTMETER installed... Caught my eye too...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:35 AM   #12

Mike09 let me know what you find out please.
Regards Don
Old 05-23-2016, 09:22 AM   #13

I'd say Bondaddio's advice about checking for 12V on the wires on the back side of the outlet is spot on. That's where I would start. (as an aside, does the cig lighter outlet work?) Next, I would take apart the factory splices and redo them properly to ensure proper connection.

If I found out the wires were getting voltage, and the ports didn't work, I would replace the outlet myself with a higher quality unit. They're not that expensive (certainly less than the fuel to haul the trailer to and from the dealer, not to mention the time) and can be found readily all over the interwebz (I prefer Amazon).

I like the one Roy mentions above that includes the 12V monitor, but that would involve "additional holes" and my wife gets VERY nervous when I'm walking toward the trailer with my drill and bits! She thinks the trailer came with the perfect number of holes, I don't need to be adding any!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:50 AM   #14

@ Camper bob

The 12v works I plugged a portable fan into it. I'm thinking they didn't wire it correctly when they spliced them together. I'm just going to buy a nicer outlet like the one posted above. Stinks that I've had this camper for less than two weeks and see so many flaws. They didn't even attach the cabinet door (headboard) to the Murphy bed. Found a couple screws on the ground. Two of the four window dressings that cover the blinds are mounted crooked. That will be my next project I guess. Can't stand looking at them now. They must have very little care for quality at Jayco.
Take care
Old 05-23-2016, 10:06 AM   #15

My dual USB port under the kitchen counter top was DOA. Had 12v of power coming down the wire so no issue upstream. I took it apart and it looks like whoever soldered on the wires fried right through one of the microprocessors. My dealer is mailing me a replacement.

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:22 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force View Post
My dual USB port under the kitchen counter top was DOA. Had 12v of power coming down the wire so no issue upstream. I took it apart and it looks like whoever soldered on the wires fried right through one of the microprocessors. My dealer is mailing me a replacement.
This raises a good point. Perhaps you could get Jayco or the dealer to mail you the replacement part and install it yourself. But then you get an OEM replacement. That might work though.

Yeah, a lot of people have little problems here and there with fit and finish, and I agree, it's frustrating. If you're handy enough to fix it and fix it right, sometimes it's better to just shake your head and do the fix yourself correctly. If there's enough wrong, and/or you're not handy, start making a "punch list" and get it all taken care of at one time with a trip to the dealer. Of course, that assumes you have a good dealer whose work you can trust. If not, you're probably better off doing it yourself, at least then you have some assurance it's done right.

Honestly, I didn't have too many of those problems with my trailer. A few screws here and there, and some other minor stuff. It was FAR easier for me to just fix it and move on than to depend on the dealer. I did have one major repair that I had my dealer take care of under warranty, and while it was there, I had him take care of a bunch of other stuff too.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:40 AM   #17

Camper bob said:

Yeah, a lot of people have little problems here and there with fit and finish, and I agree, it's frustrating. If you're handy enough to fix it and fix it right, sometimes it's better to just shake your head and do the fix yourself correctly. If there's enough wrong, and/or you're not handy, start making a "punch list" and get it all taken care of at one time with a trip to the dealer. Of course, that assumes you have a good dealer whose work you can trust. If not, you're probably better off doing it yourself, at least then you have some assurance it's done right.

X2 on this. My TT had some small crown molding installed above the slide that was done with two pieces. There was a gap of about 1/4" in between the two and they didn't line up. Looked pretty cheesy. Not a deal breaker but I purchased a similar single length from Home Depot, stained it to match, finished and installed it myself. Cheaper and done right instead of hauling the TT to the dealer.

I actually enjoy tinkering, adjusting, replacing and perfecting the trailer to my taste anyway. It's half the fun of ownership

2005 Forest River Rockwood 2601 (Sold)
2011 Ford Expedition XLT (Sold)
2008 Jeep Wrangler (Just for fun!)
Nukeneck is offline   Reply With Quote