Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-03-2016, 07:37 PM   #1

wall A/C on SLX series, where does it drain

We just got our SLX195rb Monday. At the dealers the sidewall A/C was draining from the plastic cover around the outside of the A/C unit.

At our first campsite Monday it was still draining there. At our second site we did not detect any drainage anywhere.

After we got home I again fired up the A/C and cannot find any drainage.

Any idea where it should drain and what I could do to make it right. My dealer is 140 miles away so I don't want to take it back unless there is a problem I can't fix.

Thanks. Roger
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:26 PM   #2

For the sidewall a/c units to drain properly that side of the trailer needs to be a little lower than the other side.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:49 PM   #3

I thought the trailer needs to be level for the fridge to work properly, as well as the waste tanks.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:54 PM   #4

The trailer only needs to be maybe 1 degree lower on the a/c side, the frig specs on newer models say don't run over 3 degrees off level or damage can happen. I don't think 1 degree will affect the waste tanks.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:11 AM   #5

If you have it 1 degree the wrong way, where does the water go?

I took pains to get my 195RB perfectly level, but with freeze and thaw issues (permanent setup on blocks) it won't stay that way forever.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:18 AM   #6
Site Team

Plumbing rule # 3. Water always runs down hill.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Plumbing rule # 3. Water always runs down hill.
Obviously!

Let me rephrase the question...

If the trailer is not "tilted" and the water does not come out on the ouside (on the side of the trailer), where does the water go?
Old 08-13-2016, 10:00 AM   #8

I have the same question. I am worried it is somehow seeping into the wall void . If so the long term result is BAD.

Has anyone installed a drain like you see in most conventional wall AC units in houses?
Old 08-13-2016, 10:24 AM   #9

I have a Jayco 12HFD Aframe that has the Dometic Cool Cat A/C-Heat pump, it sits on the floor in a condensate pan about an inch deep and has two tube drains through the floor of the trailer. I noticed during the first use the water was not coming out the tubes but about a foot away near the wheel well trim. I removed the outside grill and was amazed at the mess Jayco did with the install. Jayco did not use the kit supplied by Dometic for the drain which was just a 90 degree fitting with a nut to secure to the pan with some sealant. What Jayco did was use a straight barbed fitting into the pan, no nut to secure but lots of caulk, on the end of the fitting they slide some 1/4" tubing and bent it 90 degrees through the floor. It was totally closed off causing the pan to overflow onto the floor inside the trailer, I could not get a piece of wire through either side. I cut a 1" hole in the pan through the floor and installed a thru-hull marine fitting and sealed with 3M underwater marine sealant, now I have water draining below the trailer and not all over the floor. All Jayco had to do was follow directions and use the supplied parts and everything would have been fine but in their haste to get units out the door we pay the price when walls and floors rot, and the proper parts got tossed in the trash.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:56 PM   #10

To add to my outside AC questions above Has anyone taken off the outside trim piece around the AC and looked for a drain?

At one campsite it leaked some around the bottom of the trim piece which had been factory caulked. I don't want to take it off it would serve no purpose to do so.
thanks, Roger
Old 08-14-2016, 07:50 AM   #11

Come on now....Nobody have any answers to the questions above? I guess side mounted AC units are not too popular.....LOL.

When I was inspecting my trailer for possible bug and mouse entry points i could see chicken wire on the roof above the AC unit. There is a vent on the roof and the wire seals it off. I wanted to remove the AC unit to add window screen to the vent to seal it off even further. I unscrewed the front facia on the AC, expecting it to pull right out, but it was not possible. Could the outside caulked trim piece be attached to the AC? In any event, nobody answered that question either.

I see a little condensation dripping down the outside of the trailer and can't detect any inside. I guess it must drain over the outside molding, with no actual drain pipe installed.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:39 AM   #12

Many window frame AC units do not have drains. The pan holds the condensate, and the fan has little dippers that "fling" the water onto the coils to aid in cooling. The water then evaporates and or is blown out the exhaust grill as a mist.

Craig Bailey
New England
2007 Chevy 2500HD crew
2015 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:02 AM   #13

mine only drains when it is very humid, the rest of the time it just evaporates from the air flow and heat.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbailey View Post
Many window frame AC units do not have drains. The pan holds the condensate, and the fan has little dippers that "fling" the water onto the coils to aid in cooling. The water then evaporates and or is blown out the exhaust grill as a mist.

Craig Bailey
New England
2007 Chevy 2500HD crew
2015 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
I believe this is the case for the SLX side-mount A/C units. I've not seen any indication of it leaking inside when it's not level or slightly lower on the side with the A/C. You can get a good bit of water down the side when it does finally get tilted that way. I do try and avoid running the A/C if it's not leveled quite the way it should be.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote