Water Heater "Hybrid Heat" Kit Installation
To all who are awaiting my post on the water heater conversion. Wait no further and see below for steps and (I hope) pics. I purchased a kit called "Hybrid Heat" that would allow me to have hot water utilizing shore power as well as propane. My new jayco 264BHW has a propane heated only water heater. The kit cost about $90 with shipping. Being the impatient type, I could have found it cheaper. It is what it is. My water heater is manufactured by Atwood, btw.
1. First, all power off and disconnected.
2. Wait approximately 30 minutes for unit to cool. If water heater wasn't on, skip this step, obviously.
3. Open faucet(s) and bleed off pressures.
4. Verify pressure reduction by easing open over pressure valve on water heater.
5. Remove drain plug and drain unit. I opened faucets to facilitate a faster drain.
6. Install kit provided adapters in drain plug hole and tighten.
7. Install thermal probe (the kit calls this a heater cartridge) into drain adapter and tighten compression nut and knurl. Do not over tighten.
8. Apply water pressure and check for leaks. Tighten where needed.
9. Install thermostat directly to tank. You may have to remove some insulation.
10.Run the kit provided harnesses. They are very simple. Color coded and a simplified drawing/schematic will ensure you success.
11.Install switch in a sensible location.
12. Plug her in and power her up to test!
I ended up drilling 2 holes that were both inside the RV and out of eyesight. The kit provides a grommet if you require one. I used mine as I drilled one hole through the metal water heater inset panel for the ground and probe power wires. Within a half hour I can tell she was warming up. Now I have 2 options to heat the water. Also, I can utilize both for a faster heat up time. Thanks for reading! I hope my pics post!