Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-01-2015, 05:39 AM   #1

Question Water heater leaking at... (Atwood GC6AA-10E)

My water heater is leaking at the cold water inlet connector point. It's a pretty constant drip drip... Currently dripping into a bowl...

I would like to know if there is a fix wherein I could place some putty type material around the connector? Or do I need to unscrew the connector and reseal? If I need to unscrew it... What do I use to reseal? i.e. Standard plumbers tape?

Thank you for you help.

Z.
zernalaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:45 AM   #2
Site Team

That is a pretty common complaint.

It just need to be disconnected from the tank and retightened slightly. I would apply a wrap or 3 of Teflon tape before putting it back.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:56 AM   #3

I had the same problem. First tried just tightening the fitting a little, and that didn't work. Next, I remove the fitting, cleaned it up an used teflon tape- that didn't work either. I removed the teflon tape, and then used Oatey Great White pipe joint compound. No leaks now for well over a year.

When I did mine, I went a head and resealed the hot-water out fitting on the tank too, just as a preventative measure.

Be aware that when removing the lower fitting, just draining the tank beforehand using the exterior drain plug isn't enough. The bottom of the tank is bowl shaped, and still holds water that is, for some reason, above the lower fitting height. First time I remove the fitting, about a quart of water drained out inside the TT. To remove the remaining water, I used a curved section of 3/8" vinyl tubing. Pushed it through the drain plug hole, aiming the curved end to the tank bottom, and siphoned the remaining water out. Doing that, there was no leakage when removing the lower tank fitting.

Good luck!
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
I removed the teflon tape, and then used Oatey Great White pipe joint compound.
X2 on the pipe dope. Much easier to work with and has a 3k pressure rating. That particular brand is formulated for plastic or metal.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:32 AM   #5

Quote:
I had the same problem. First tried just tightening the fitting a little, and that didn't work. Next, I remove the fitting, cleaned it up an used teflon tape- that didn't work either. I removed the teflon tape, and then used Oatey Great White pipe joint compound. No leaks now for well over a year.

When I did mine, I went a head and resealed the hot-water out fitting on the tank too, just as a preventative measure.

Be aware that when removing the lower fitting, just draining the tank beforehand using the exterior drain plug isn't enough. The bottom of the tank is bowl shaped, and still holds water that is, for some reason, above the lower fitting height. First time I remove the fitting, about a quart of water drained out inside the TT. To remove the remaining water, I used a curved section of 3/8" vinyl tubing. Pushed it through the drain plug hole, aiming the curved end to the tank bottom, and siphoned the remaining water out. Doing that, there was no leakage when removing the lower tank fitting.

Good luck!
Smokerbill, does that mean we have all been leaving water in the w/h when we by-pass it to shut it down for the winter? I have only been opening my drain plug for years.
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 01:40 PM   #6

Not SmokerBill, but yes there is usually some water left in the tank when you drain and bypass it. But what remains isn't a problem as far as freezing, there is lots of room for the ice to expand with a mostly empty tank. When a container (pipe, tank, etc.) is mostly full and it freezes that is when you are likely to have a problem.

What can remain in the standing water, not usually drained out the drain valve, is sediment in the water. That is why agitation and draining the unit several times is recommended at the end of the season (or periodically, for those where winterization is not required) to remove the accumulated sediment. Depending on what water has gone through the heater it can be just a little or a lot! Seen both. You can even purchase a wand that hooks to a hose to insert into the tank to direct a water flow to flush out the debris. http://www.amazon.com/Camco-11691-Wa...+heater+rinser
I made my own with spare copper tubing and fittings I had laying around.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:41 AM   #7

Question Thank u Bill & everyone else...

Bill - what do you use to clean the old material off the threads before applying the Oatey?

Quote:

Good luck!
zernalaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:46 AM   #8

I think I used a small screwdriver and a small brass brush, and was very careful to not damage the threads.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaking, water heater