Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #1

Water Pump Loosing Prime

We were out this last weekend and we had no hookups filled water tank but when using pump it would spit out air with water then finally just water but next time you turned water on or flushed toilet pump would just hum till you let water run long enough and it would spit air and water again was this way all weekend. I know I am sucking air from some where but cant find out where there are no leeks at pump. can take to Dealer but that is a hour away need help.
2004 Dodge 2500 CTD
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:37 AM   #2

Two things you might try. First, next time you get a chance to pressurize the system with a city water supply, turn that on and go around the unit looking for water dripping from a leak. Also look inside for leaks. Also check for a leaky valve where you intake the antifreeze for winterizing.

If no leaks anywhere, then you are not sucking air from the system. That leaves the pump itself. My pump developed a problem of sometimes continuing to run after spigot was turned off. Contacted the manufacturer, who said it was the rubber valve inside the pump. Replaced that, and all was well. BTW, the old valve looked just fine, but obviously was not - in other words, you can't necessarily tell the condition just by looking at it. Hope this helps.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:05 AM   #3

If you left the pump on and it was not cycling there is no leak on the pressure side. There's really no way air would have been introduced in the pressure side if the pump was left on since it would just kick on and pressurize each time it reached below the set pressure to kick on. What you most likely have is a loose fitting on the pump itself for the suction side of the pump. You could also have a open valve on the winterizing feed if you have one? Do you have a set of valves for the pump itself like city, pump or winterization? If one or more of the valves is not fully engaged it could be drawing air into the system. You would not necessarily see a leak on the suction side since it would not be under pressure. When the pump is not pumping it would just slowly retreat as air was sucked back into the leak. This would not effect the pressure side though since the valve is one way. Again this would show in the pump continually cycling with no valves being opened by you.

I would try to tighten the fitting on the draw side of the water pump and see if it holds the prime. If not then work backwards from the pump which should only be one or two fittings at most depending on your setup. My pump goes through a manifold for various options of draw.

If you turn off the pump after each use then it's possible for a leak on the pressurized side.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #4

Thanks for your sugestions have been out 3 times hooked up to city water and no leeks. checked all valves and they are closed they might be bad but they are closed. when pump was just left on it would not cycle we would come back into trailer and pump would just be humming if you turn faucet on and let it run long enough to get rid of air it will cycle and shut off but seems like it takes longer than it uesd to guess I will have to take it to dealer as pump or a valve might be bad.
2004 Dodge 2500 CTD
Old 06-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #5

Yeah you could have bad impeller possilbly that is leaking back or not holding the vaccuum on the draw line while off. City water bypasses that pump so the leak could be right after it but again that would not affect the prime side if the pressure side. It would just keep cycling to keep up the pressure released from the leak.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #6

I had a similar situation with my TT when it was new. I was at my wits end and was ready to take it the 70 miles back to the dealer. To make a long story short, I found that where the winterizing hose hooks into the water system by the pump, the hose clamps that were used to attach the hose were loose. It was not leaking any water at all but when the pump ran it was sucking air into the system. Tightened the clamps and never had the problem again.
Good luck...
Old 06-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #7

Tls001, that would make sense; on that side of the pump the water, it is being pulled (vacuum) so it should not leak water. When the pump stops, the water within the line would be close to 0 psi with a little head pressure so the air would want to leak into any loose connections, and drain the water back into the tank. Well worth the check.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #8

Thanks for all your replys I did check the valve that my winterizing hose is attached but didnt think to check the clamps will check that and see.
2004 Dodge 2500 CTD
Old 06-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #9

Well just found out what it was there is a screen filter between inlet line and the pump there is a clear bulb on the filter with screen in it there is a O ring on the clear bulb if that O ring go bad you will suck air into pump. I bypased it for now and pump works like it should. just wanted to let people know in case it happens to somebody else.
2004 Dodge 2500 CTD
Old 07-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #10

old Blue,
We had the same problem, pump was sucking air probably 1/2 air, 1/2 water and i checked all the connections and even place the winterizing hose in bucket of water. On our second trip from june 29 until july 7 I made the decision to just let the pump go until something happens and on monday call the dealer when we got home. it is still under warranty, well on friday july 6 the pump stopped working. all the fuses are good, breakers good so when we needed a shower off the the showers in the campground we went. seeing the dealer was not open until monday I took a good look at the pump and noticed that the wire fell off, and with the pump located where it was and not much room to get the wire back on I removed the pump and turned it 180 degrees so all the mechanics are much easier to get at and the motor against the cabinet wall. while monkeying with it i also noticed that the glass strainer was not too tight so i remover the bowl and replaced the pinched "o" ring and reconnected the plumbing, filled the tank and PRESTO. works like it should. with the pump shaking the sink and counter while it reached the correct pressure I am glad it knocked the wire off because it saved me the time at the dealer.

2011 GMC Serria Ext Cab LB
2012 Jayflight 22FB
edowsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote