Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-15-2017, 08:44 AM   #1

Water Pump- Newbie Question

Okay... this is my first RV and first outing! BIG learning curve!!! First question, do I need to turn on water pump when using shore water? Water pressure seems really low so it made me think maybe I am supposed to manually turn on the pump! Hopefully my questions will get a little more intelligent as I get more experience! 🤓
Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:00 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

On all my campers, the water pump was only used when using water from the on board fresh water tanks. When hooked up to shore water, the water pressure in the system supplies the pressure for flow. Just like you home when hooked up to shore water.

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsara View Post
Okay... this is my first RV and first outing! BIG learning curve!!! First question, do I need to turn on water pump when using shore water? Water pressure seems really low so it made me think maybe I am supposed to manually turn on the pump! Hopefully my questions will get a little more intelligent as I get more experience! 🤓
The water pump is only turned on when pulling water from the fresh water tank or when winterizing.

If you are hooked up to the City Water port (shore water) then you do not need to turn on your pump and it won't do anything.

The pressure being low is from the campground or your house. Not sure where you are hooked up. You should be on a pressure regulator as well if at a campground to protect your plumbing in the camper. Some are adjustable some are not. If you are coming from your house being on city water and you have high pressure it may seem like the camper has really low pressure. It is fine and just something you have to get used to as your pressure will be lower (even with the pump on the FW tank) than what some residential pressures are in town.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:11 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum... and to RVing!

When using shore water (connected to a trailer's 'city water' connection), the trailer's water pump should be OFF.

I assume you are in a location where freezing is not an issue!

You should have a water pressure regulator in the shore water line to be sure the pressure is not too high for the trailer (not greater than 60psi). A common complaint is that the inexpensive water pressure regulators many of us use severely reduces the water flow rate.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post

When using shore water (connected to a trailer's 'city water' connection), the trailer's water pump should be OFF.

You should have a water pressure regulator in the shore water line to be sure the pressure is not too high for the trailer (not greater than 60psi). A common complaint is that the inexpensive water pressure regulators many of us use severely reduces the water flow rate.
X2..

I know my pressure regulator does that. Will probably swap it out for an adjustable one this year. Starting year 2 with this camper so it's time to begin upgrading the little things.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post

X3. We have a regulator and very glad we do.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:18 PM   #7

No.