Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2014, 11:22 PM   #1

water pump quit!!

trying to finish up my re-plumbing of my water pump to quiet it down, and now it won't prime or shut off.

thoughts?

I eliminated the winterizing T and valves on the suction side of the pump and shortened the suction line. I assumed I had a vacuum leak, but I can manually suck water from the tank with ease (just like a straw). the discharge is routed through a 24" flexible kitchen sink supply hose. it worked fine last night, but after I modified the suction hose, it quit priming.

I might have damaged the wires to the shutoff pressure switch, I am going to check continuity tomorrow night. but that switch shouldn't affect pump suction, only shutoff.

any help would be appreciated.
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:03 AM   #2

That would be my first guess.....pressure switch
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:08 AM   #3

Make sure you open a faucet while trying to prime. Also make sure the suction side is leak free. How are you going to winterize now?

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedAWDAstro View Post
Make sure you open a faucet while trying to prime. Also make sure the suction side is leak free. How are you going to winterize now?
I opened all the faucets to try and prime, no luck. I thought I might have a vacuum leak in the line from the tank, but I was able to suck on the hose and got a mouthfull of water with no problem. (yeah gross, but test sat).

the pump and pressure switch tested fine last night on a bench with short hoses to/from a bucket of water. I will reinstall and see what happens.

as for winterizing, I have just used compressed air to blow the lines and waterheater clear for the past 7 years without issue. It really doesn't freeze hard here in the Puget sound area. I have an adapter I use for the city water connection and dial my compressor down to 50psi. I used a bicycle pump with my last trailer. Slow, but it worked.

I will get the pump back in this weekend and post an update.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:38 AM   #5

Put water in your lines with the city water hookup, then try it, sometimes back priming gets it started

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrotor View Post
Put water in your lines with the city water hookup, then try it, sometimes back priming gets it started
Tried that too, no luck. I also have the waterheater bypassed so as to eliminate that as a source of air into the system.

so far I have
- bypassed the water heater
- filled and vented the system with city water.
- successfully syphoned water out of the TT water tank through the pump suction hose
- did a complete teardown of the pump, pressure switch, and strainer
- performed a successful bench test of the pump using a bucket of water and an external 12v source.

I can't think of anything else before I reinstall and attempt to try again.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:10 AM   #7

Is it possible that you have reversed positive and ground connections???
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ela1948 View Post
Is it possible that you have reversed positive and ground connections???
not at the time. up to the point of failure, I had only added a flex hose to the discharge, remove the winterize "T" portion of the suction line, and added a 1/2" female coupling to mate the suction line to the pump.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:23 PM   #9

When you modified the suction side of the pump, did you by chance remove or damage the one-way valve? Depending on the pump you have, you may need to have a "check valve" on the supply line to maintain the pressure so the water doesn't just drain back into the tank.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:05 AM   #10

Okay, still not happy.
I solved the not pumping problem. I believe it was either an overheated pump, or an airleak between the suction hose and the female fitting to the pump. Either way, the pump works now.

HOWEVER, I purchased a pump silencing kit

http://www.amazon.com/SHURflo-94-591.../dp/B000WN5F96.

Now I notice significant vibration in the discharge hose.

I think the best I am going to be able to do is juggle how the flex hose is routed and coiled coming off the pump. getting it all tucked in under my kitchen cabinet is going to be tough.

other than to install an accumulator, does anyone have other ideas?

I hav
Old 07-02-2014, 02:21 PM   #11

Get a pool noodle, cut to 8" lengths or so, split up the middle and wrap the lines any place they make contact with the floor, wall or cabinets. Easy and cheap!

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:43 AM   #12

Is it possible that when you rehooked up the lines that you reversed them? And now have the suction line on the outflow side?
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedAWDAstro View Post
Get a pool noodle, cut to 8" lengths or so, split up the middle and wrap the lines any place they make contact with the floor, wall or cabinets. Easy and cheap!
It wasn't a pool noodle I used, but household hotwater pipe insulation. $0.42 for 6ft. thanks for the idea.

Everything is back installed and is a bit quieter than before. the only thing left to do would be to add some egg-crate insulation to the cabinet sides surrounding the pump.

- I wrapped one of the flex pump hoses in insulating foam, the put a double coil in it between the pump and the hard piping.

- I used more insulating foam and a length of plumber's tape to the hard pipe.

- I replaced the cold water filter to the kitchen sink and lengths of hard pipe with another flex hose.

If I can figure out how to post pictures, I will get them posted.

Tim