Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-03-2015, 12:02 PM   #31
Metal creep is also an issue. During recent hitching/unhitching, I noticed movement between my hitchhead and dropbar. I had tightened these with gusto a couple years ago during my last hitch adjustment, so I didn't expect them to come loose.

I spent a buck or so on new grade 8 split washers, got in my best weight-lifter stance and re-tightened those nuts. No movement now. I need to check the ball nut, but I don't have a socket big enough.

Make sure you all check hitch bolts (with a wrench) periodically.

tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 02:04 PM   #32
I was hit from behind in a rear end accident earlier this year, damaging a brand new after market hitch I had just installed. I made sure that both the insurance company and the body shop knew about it. The insurance company said it's up tot the body shop to inspect it to see if it needed replacing, but they would approve it if necessary. It did need replacing, and the body shop was just going to throw a stock GM 5,000 lb hitch on there. Nope, says I. Check the sticker. That's a brand new 6,000 lb hitch. I want nothing less than what I have. They had to call around until they found one. The idea of towing with a potentially damaged hitch is enough to give me the willies.

Geoff & Jill
& Sierra, the little white monster
2013 Ford F-150 XTR SC Ecoboost
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49 is offline   Reply With Quote