Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-28-2014, 07:33 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
What (Power) Tongue Jack Do You Have?

Power Tongue Jack we all wish we had on a hot day! When I bought my 2012 198RD there was no name on the Power Tongue Jack except a view numbers. I don’t know if it was an option Jayco installed or the dealer. By Googling I found all the specifications and the manufacturer. Also on a few forums people complaining about this motorized tongue jack. So that will make me curious. So the hyd.jack under the tong and of the Tongue jack comes after loosening the 3 bolts and batt. wire. Others had complains about water leaking into the motor and seizing the motor. So now everybody wants to know the name of the PTJ; Mfg. Lippert Components sold under the name by Stromberg-Carlson The Jet 3500 lbs. Their complaints where legitimate water can come in through the rubber plugs and the seams on the housing. Also the switches are not waterproof. I took it apart and greased everything and drilled a hole in the bottom housing so the water could drain in the event it would occur. Also I faced the front PTJ to the back so it would clear the tailgate. Many where told on the forums it couldn’t. I also installed an extra ground from the motor directly to the battery. And yes to be sure I installed a cover over the PTJ to avoid water problem seize up. No problem with this Power Tongue Jack. It might not have the highest quality standards but it is a good functional Tongue Jack at a reasonable price. Also you can use the stabilizer crank or a socket on your drill if there is a power fail. Yeah sometimes it takes a little bit innovation and effort to stay a happy camper. So what Power Tongue Jack do you have?
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:20 PM   #2
Site Team

Barker 3000 VIP here. 5+years old without issue. Made in Michigan.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:19 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
When I did a survey a few years ago most people recommended Barker if can remember it had a ball bearings. Stromberg-Carlson Jet 3500 has sleeve bearings. But then Barker is twice as much $$$........I guess you pay for quality.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote