Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2014, 09:52 AM   #1

Where / How to install Inverter for Entertainment center

Will be installing a 600w pure sign wave inverter in my 2014 White Hawk 30DSRE primarily to power the Entertainment Center stuff on overnite road trips. The 600W size will give me plenty of room for a few other things and with my twin 6volt cart battery bank, I don't anticipate any amp drain issues since primary use will be as described above and for late nite TV /sat viewing after Generator hours.

The ET Center is at the rear of the TT [max distance from the Battery bank] so to keep the 12v cabling as short as possible I need to locate the inverter in the front storage area or bedroom area and then run an 110v extension to the ET center. My plan is to run the 110 from the inverter along the underside of the TT and since I have the polar sealed bottom, I most likely would run it along the frame rail and bring it into the cabinet next to the et center [I have the fireplace option and the radio is installed in the cabinet to the R of the fireplace. Plan would be to use the extension cord to power a standard twin outlet wall plug mounted next to the radio.

Would love to hear from others who have done a similar mod to there White Hawk or similar TT. I've read the threads about using the right size cable so I think I'm good on that part of the mod. Main thing I'm not decided on is where to install the actual inverter. I'm leaning toward inside the front storage compartment since that would allow me to keep the run to the Batteries short and also could power the small outside fridge while we're on the road.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:30 AM   #2
Site Team

There are many ways of doing what you want....
You are on the right track. Keep that inverter as close to the batteries as possible. My batteries are at the front of the TT also. I decided to take a different approach when I installed my inverter. DW did not want any extension cords any where in the TT. I ran a Romex cable from the front storage compartment (where I have a 1500 watt inverter, MPPT60 Solar Charge Controller and of course the batteries are located) to the rear storage compartment (also where shore power connection is). There I installed 2 30Amp RV outlets (Lowes). Outlet #1 is connected to the Shore Power connection. Outlet #2 is connected to the inverter located in the front storage compartment. The male plug is wired to the TT's 120VAC unit. When I arrive at the CC, if I am going to be using shore power, I plug the male plug into the shore power outlet, thereby sending the shore power 120 VAC source to the TT. If I am dry-camping, I plug the male plug into Outlet #2 that is connected to the inverter, turn on the inverter and I have 120VAC at every outlet in the TT (I turn off the AC breaker just in case). I did rewire the TT's battery charge controller source voltage (120VAC) to its own AC breaker, so it is not on when running on batteries.

I mounted a piece of 1/2" PVC to the frame (from front to back) and ran the Romex cable inside it, to keep it from any road problems.

This system is a lot CHEAPER than installing an automatic transfer switch.

Since adding SOLAR, I have yet to turn the TT's battery charge controller back on and we leave the inverter on while traveling to run the refrigerator.

If you look at my SOLAR link below it has pictures of the outlets in the rear storage and a basic wiring diagram.

Good Luck and keep us informed.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
There are many ways of doing what you want....
You are on the right track. Keep that inverter as close to the batteries as possible. My batteries are at the front of the TT also. I decided to take a different approach when I installed my inverter. DW did not want any extension cords any where in the TT. I ran a Romex cable from the front storage compartment (where I have a 1500 watt inverter, MPPT60 Solar Charge Controller and of course the batteries are located) to the rear storage compartment (also where shore power connection is). There I installed 2 30Amp RV outlets (Lowes). Outlet #1 is connected to the Shore Power connection. Outlet #2 is connected to the inverter located in the front storage compartment. The male plug is wired to the TT's 120VAC unit. When I arrive at the CC, if I am going to be using shore power, I plug the male plug into the shore power outlet, thereby sending the shore power 120 VAC source to the TT. If I am dry-camping, I plug the male plug into Outlet #2 that is connected to the inverter, turn on the inverter and I have 120VAC at every outlet in the TT (I turn off the AC breaker just in case). I did rewire the TT's battery charge controller source voltage (120VAC) to its own AC breaker, so it is not on when running on batteries.

I mounted a piece of 1/2" PVC to the frame (from front to back) and ran the Romex cable inside it, to keep it from any road problems.

This system is a lot CHEAPER than installing an automatic transfer switch.

Since adding SOLAR, I have yet to turn the TT's battery charge controller back on and we leave the inverter on while traveling to run the refrigerator.

If you look at my SOLAR link below it has pictures of the outlets in the rear storage and a basic wiring diagram.

Good Luck and keep us informed.

Don
Very nice set up. No Solar for me, just too expensive to install and will only be using the inverter on a limited basis for the circumstances I mentioned. If dry camping we use a Honda 2000 in the am and again in the evening until quiet hours.

I'm thinking of mounting the inverter in the front storage compartment and run a heavy [10g] orange extension along the frame rail with the front end coming into the storage unit and the rear end entering near where the shore power cord is stored. I only want to power one outlet inside so it will be one near the rear entertainment center. Could do a 2nd one in the front bedroom with an outlet at the base of one of the side table tops.

Do you think it would be necessary to route the orange cord thru a piece of conduit since the orange cord is weatherproof. My plan is to keep it simple but want it to be safe and reliable. Mounting the inverter in the front storage area would require me to go outside and turn it off when I shut down for the night. Don't see that as a problem [remember keep it simple] since I usually take the dogs out before bedding down.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:11 PM   #4

I pretty much did the same as you for my Fifth this last summer. Check out your inverter and available options! I believe all are now required to have an on/off switch on the inverter itself, which means you have to go outside to the inverter, hit the button, then remember to do the same after you are done using the power. (You have to turn it off, or it will continue to drain your battery even if you don't have any of your devices turned on). Some brands come with a "remote" switch that can be mounted in a convenient area, and then a wire run back to the inverter to turn it on/off. That's my next project....
Old 10-27-2014, 04:31 PM   #5

This inverter has a remote as an option but it didn't come with the unit. Will go as is for now but do some research on the remote switch to see how its rated. Would be easy to route it up thru one of the closets and hang the switch on the side of the closet.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:25 PM   #6

On your extension cord I would use one of those multi-tap 120VAC receptacle heads that has an ON-OFF switch on it.

If you can't turn off the INVERTER right away just removing the 120VAC LOAD by turning OFF the multi-tap extension cord head will greatly reduce any load the INVERTER will draw from your battery. You can look in the INVERTER specs and see how current it will draw just being turned ON with no load.

I use one of these multi-tap extension cords with my 600WATT AIMS PSW INVERTER.
Similar to this one... Got my at LOWES in the tool section... I removed the cord holder ends...

This is 8-socket model which are orientated to the side where you can plug-in transformer heads for powering up some devices like computers and cell phone etc... This give you good access to all of the eight outlets... It also has an ON-OFF switch...

I mounted mine on the back of cabinet top with the extension cord hidden - all you see is the multi-tap receptacle velcroed to the back of the cabinet top...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:32 PM   #7

You're on the right track, inverter up front, follow install instructions on a fuse on the positive line to the battery. The one I used to have installed for my entertainment center had the remote switch. It also had a built in transfer switch. So I ran two extension cords up to the Ent. Ctr. One to plug into the shore outlet and the other to plug in my Ent. Ctr. components into a strip. If on shore power it passed through the inverter to the strip I had plugged in to the inverter. When I turned on the switch, it would use battery power. Best part was not having to unplug from the inverter to plug into shore.

2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
2016 GMC Duramax Sierra 3500 HD Denali
4 Crown CR-235 6-volt batteries - 470 AH bank
3000 watt Magnum Energy MSH-3012 Tri Metric 2025
Cummins generator
Winegard Traveler DirecTV slimline HD SK-3005
Big Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 06:35 PM   #8

Project completed last week so wanted to give an update. Inverter installed on bulkhean in front storage area next to the mini frig. Routed #2 cable thru the floor and into the battery area with a run of maybe 5' counting all the bends and turns. Used an 80 amp battery post fuse on the positive connection. Purchased a 100' 12 gauge HD extension on line for $52 w/ freeshipping. Extension had a lighted female end that I terminated thru a grommet on side of the Entertainment center where the sat receiver is sitting. Cut the extension in half and fished it thru the floor below the cabinet and down the underside of the TT using the floor supports connected to the frame rail. Up thru the floor into the storage area and then routed across the front wire tied to the 12V wiring for the storage area lights.

The lighted female end is handy as a reminder that the inverter is powered up. All I have to do is unplug the power strip where the tv, receiver, and blue ray is plugged in from the TT wall outlet and plug it in to the lighted extension end. Ended up with a real clean install and a simple manual switch from house power to inverter power.

The 40" led TV and the dish receiver pull less than 115 watts so I have plenty of room to run a few other things if necessary. The 100' HD extension worked out great and I end up with a 50' HD extension after I add a new female end. Only thing left to do is rig a 5' extension so I can run the mini fridge thru the inverter when traveling or dry camping. Not sure about the power draw on the mini fridge so will have to check before trying to run it on the 600w inverter but pretty sure it will be enough.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:41 PM   #9

Good deal, congrats on finishing that up. Sounds like it shoukd work reallg well. Do you have any pics?

2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
2016 GMC Duramax Sierra 3500 HD Denali
4 Crown CR-235 6-volt batteries - 470 AH bank
3000 watt Magnum Energy MSH-3012 Tri Metric 2025
Cummins generator
Winegard Traveler DirecTV slimline HD SK-3005
Big Sky is offline   Reply With Quote