Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-17-2015, 12:15 PM   #1

Which battery to buy?

I have searched, read, and still haven't found recommendations on which brand of battery to buy.

So, what say you?

Also, what are the advantages of 2 6v vs a 12 v? Can't seem to find that answer either.

I have spent 2 days of searching and reading and can't find it. I apologize if i have missed it, but I need a new battery for the upcoming season and am trying to get my plan together.

Thank you
Equalizer 14,000 lb hitch with 12,000 lb ball and arms (sold)
sugarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 12:56 PM   #2

Please check-out this thread http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...rade-2752.html and Google RV BATTERIES, there is a wealth of information out there.

I'm the DW, and left the research to the DH ~ as Tim Allen says, argh! argh! argh! more power! In November 2014 we took our new TT on a 3-day shakedown at the beach where it was wicked-cold, we were running the furnace and drained the "off the lot" batteries down to the point where the alarm went off at 5:30am on Sunday morning. Couldn't brew coffee so packed-up and left - 'nuf said! We primarily 'dry camp' (no hook-ups) at state and national parks so last year Santa brought generators, this year he's bringing two Trojan T-145 6v deep cycle batteries.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:05 PM   #3

If you boon dock a lot, 2 6v batteries is the way to go. If you mostly use shore power just get a cheap 12v RV deep cycle battery. It's really only for the breakaway cable to set the brakes in the event the trailer decouples from your truck.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:13 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
Last year Santa brought generators, this year he's bringing two Trojan T-145 6v deep cycle batteries.
Hattie is getting a GREAT set of 6 Volt batteries for Christmas. I am looking at getting myself the 2nd SOLAR Panel for my present. I had the same experience as she did with the original battery supplied by the Dealer (Interstate 85Ahr (43Ah usable). Ran out of POWER on the first night. I upgraded to 2 T145 batteries 3 years ago and have no regrets. They are rated at 260Ah (130Ah usable), are True Deep Cycle batteries. I added SOLAR and rewired the TT's battery charge controller to another AC 110VAC breaker so I could turn it off when using SOLAR, well I have yet to turn it back on. A GREAT combination SOLAR and T145 batteries.

BUT.. with that being said, everyone has their favorites and if you go with a TRUE DEEP CYCLE BATTERY (no CCA ratings), a reputable manufacture, enough Ah's, proper size cabling, a good battery maintenance plan, you can not go wrong. Trojan is probably the most favorite brand for RVing.

If you are not going to be dry-camping a regular 12 volt Marine/RV battery will do. Dry-camping you are better off going with the (2) 6 battery volt setup.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:14 PM   #5

One thing to keep in mind with dual 6v batteries is if for some reason one of them goes bad you won't have any power to the trailer. This is the reason I run dual 12v even though it's not as good.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:15 PM   #6

Perhaps there's TOO much information out there. Well, there's a LOT anyway, here and elsewhere.

Anyway, I researched this not long ago, and the best value I could come up with was Trojan. I was looking for a single 12V replacement and their price and reputation are what attracted me. There are many dealers out there, so you'll have to shop. Shipping is the killer, but there are many who will ship for free.

I went back and forth between 2-6V and 1-12V or 2-12V. Eventually I came to the conclusion that I don't boondock enough to justify a 2-6V system. Perhaps a 2-12V system? At the most, maybe? More likely I'll just end up replacing my dealer-supplied Interstate with one good quality Trojan 12V battery. I wouldn't even be replacing that except that the dealer killed it (pretty much all the way) when I had the trailer in for service, and now it won't take a full charge.

A lot of what you choose depends on your usage. We VERY RARELY, if ever, use our trailer without being hooked up to power of some kind, so our battery really just needs to actuate the trailer brakes in the event of a disconnect. Even my damaged battery will do that easily. I won't look seriously at replacing my battery as mentioned above until we have plans for a trip where we'll need it. For now, the one we have is sufficient, and I have other things I need to spend that money on.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:24 PM   #7

My problem is mine Interstate dealer battery was drained at the dealer, now if it sits for a week, the jack won't work. I have just been backing up the truck close enough to get it high enough (I like to keep it level when parked), then hook up. I don't think we'll ever boondock. I'm getting a new one and want to do it right. I am getting a Battery Doctor shut off too. I think the drain from the radio face, propane sensor, and alarm are more than it can handle now.
Equalizer 14,000 lb hitch with 12,000 lb ball and arms (sold)
sugarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:33 PM   #8

Trojan 27 TMX Deep Cycle Battery Free Delivery most locations in the lower 48*.

This is the one I was going to get from this vendor. It was about the best price I could find, and shipping is free to most places. IMO $160 for a good quality true deep cycle battery (not dual purpose) is a decent deal.

This is what I would get if I were in your shoes. Further, I would get a "Battery Tender" brand battery maintainer (can be had for around $25) and pull the battery when you store the trailer. Store the battery on the Battery Tender in your garage, and forget the cut-off switch.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 12-17-2015, 01:34 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarray View Post
I am getting a Battery Doctor shut off too. I think the drain from the radio face, propane sensor, and alarm are more than it can handle now.
All you need is the standard 12Volt marine/RV battery.

If the battery Doctor shut of switch is the one that mounts on the battery terminal with a knob, there have been complaints about it not working after awhile. You may want to look into a marine type cut off switch that is designed for wet weather.
Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:59 PM   #10

I bought a Crown deep cycle 12 volt. S0 far has worked well.
jerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:16 PM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Like many RV questions, one should know how the owner intends to use "it." And the owners needs to consider what kind of maintenance/storage process they need to implement. Also, it is just one source of power and all sources of power, as well as inverters, and converters should also be considered.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:49 PM   #12

Quote:
My problem is mine Interstate dealer battery was drained at the dealer, now if it sits for a week, the jack won't work. I have just been backing up the truck close enough to get it high enough (I like to keep it level when parked), then hook up. I don't think we'll ever boondock. I'm getting a new one and want to do it right. I am getting a Battery Doctor shut off too. I think the drain from the radio face, propane sensor, and alarm are more than it can handle now.
Sorry to hear that your dealer did not treat your battery as well as he probably treats his.

But, I know not to leave my battery with the dealer when I need service.

So thanks for that.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:54 PM   #13

P.S. No matter what type of batteries you decide to go with, learn how to treat them well. They hate heat\cold, do not like being overcharged or depleted below certain levels, and should never be off of a smart battery charger\controller when not in use or discharged. I am sure I am forgetting several things but once you appreciate their importance, keeping track of their condition\charge state becomes just part of the RV fun!
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:28 PM   #14

Marine batteries don't work for me. I've got a pair of red top Optimas on my camper. I plan on them lasting 10 years.

A friend of mine had a red top Optima on his tractor with a bad alternator. It lasted about that long.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:50 PM   #15

I have two Walmart deep cycle trolling motor batteries and they work just fine for me. I believe they are group 29. I keep them on the battery tender when not in use.
Treatcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:54 PM   #16

If I might add, if you are near a battery distribution warehouse or can even find the battery delivery man, ask them about "Blemished" batteries. They might have a scratch or dent or something but are still new with a warranty, might just be ugly.

Usually a lot less than a "perfect" battery.

Also, if you decide to go with a two battery set up, buy them at the same time! Do not pair a new battery with an old one.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 08:58 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
Marine batteries don't work for me. I've got a pair of red top Optimas on my camper. I plan on them lasting 10 years.

A friend of mine had a red top Optima on his tractor with a bad alternator. It lasted about that long.
Wouldn't you rather have a "Blue top"? From what I've read, the red tops are great for high energy starting applications (like a motor that's been cammed over) and they charge and discharge very quickly. Just curious how a non-deep cycle is working out for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treatcg View Post
I have two Walmart deep cycle trolling motor batteries and they work just fine for me. I believe they are group 29. I keep them on the battery tender when not in use.
Which ones exactly, and how long have you had them? I looked and couldn't really find one at WM that I liked. It would be nice to find one, from what I understand the WM battery warranty is pretty nice. They will readily trade out a battery with few questions asked. AND WM is everywhere, so if I have an issue out on the road, I can find a store to take it to.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 12-18-2015, 09:11 AM   #18

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450451246.237767.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	21230

Had them for a year. Walmart batteries are manufactured by Johnson controls. I run two parallel when I am off the grid. They are heavy.
Treatcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 09:17 AM   #19

Quote:
I have searched, read, and still haven't found recommendations on which brand of battery to buy.

So, what say you?

Also, what are the advantages of 2 6v vs a 12 v? Can't seem to find that answer either.

I have spent 2 days of searching and reading and can't find it. I apologize if i have missed it, but I need a new battery for the upcoming season and am trying to get my plan together.

Thank you
Quote:
IMO, if you won't be boondocking, then one 12 volt battery should work for you. Pairs of 6 volt batteries, or 12 volt batteries, give you added DC capacity for boondocking.

We have two 12 volt batteries and routinely boondock for 4 days, but not running the furnace, 12 volt fans, or a television.

We've been using Walmart batteries in our vehicles and TT because of the price and availability. I have no complaints.

Have you checked with an Interstate dealer about replacing the battery? Walmart replaced the batteries in my diesel truck without any questions when they failed within the warranty period.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 09:41 AM   #20

Thanks! I think I'll have a look at those.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV