Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #1

Wifi connections

We'll be picking up our Jayco X17Z in another month or so and I'm wondering how others might be using wifi connected devices at camp sites. We'll have two laptops and a media player for Netflix with us. Does everyone just hope for the best inside the metal frame of the TT or are there other options? Outside Antennas and repeaters etc?

Really would love to hear what others are doing so that I can set up what ever I need, for the first trip once the snow melts.

Thanks
Blair
dddire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:56 AM   #2
Site Team

We do not have the bandwidth or multiple device requirements that you describe. We have a 4g mobile hotspot from Verizon at home and for the road with a 5 gig plan.

When we are in a CG with good wifi, we use it. When not the Verizon does it for us. You can access it with up to 5 different devices.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #3

For me I use a standard 802.11g router inside the camper which will allow everything to talk to each other such as Apple TV, printer etc and it allows sharing with iPhone and iPad (3g enabled). My wife has an iPhone 4s through Sprint (unlimited data) which allows the NetFlix application to stream to Apple TV. We also have a Sling box connected to our home satellite. So by using the iPhone we can drive the Apple TV with complete home satellite as well as Netflix no campground WiFi required.

My "rvnet" is always in the camper. I just need to bring in my AppleTV and MacBook from home. The only thing to do is to insure that the AppleTV and the router talk to each other (not a difficult task). I have a 1TB external hard drive which I can connect to my Mac for movies and music which can stream from the Mac to AppleTV and subsequently through the stereo in the camper through iTunes and AppleTV (no internet connection required)

So basically without any campground internet access (or tricky configurations) I have a wide selection of A/V at my disposal with no additional cost to me.

But connecting to the campground wi-fi *may* be more efficient (not really my experience though) and that I do through a wireless ethernet bridge. I have an external antenna which I *can* feed through a window or vent for the bridge. The bridge then acts as the WAN input to the router which of course will then feed all the wifi connected devices.

In theory all this hi-tech stuff is great, but practically I find that the good ole antenna and a DVD are usually the most efficient and less frustrating. And even better than that is hanging out by the fire listening and watching absolutely nothing!
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #4

I've found that the state park campground wifi services are "iffy" at best. I don't relish having to drive over to the CG office to check email. The private CG wifi services are better, but I don't know how secure they are, probably notta. I have the Time Warner mobile hotspot with unlimited access that travels with us. it's secure, and I don't mind DW doing bank transactions on it if she needs to. I would never do that on a CG wifi.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:07 PM   #5

NO NEVER do any banking over a CG wi-fi connection! Adding the router in there will help protect your LAN however. ALL PC's should have a software firewall and virus protection INCLUDING Mac's regardless if you're home or camping.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyon View Post
NO NEVER do any banking over a CG wi-fi connection! Adding the router in there will help protect your LAN however. ALL PC's should have a software firewall and virus protection INCLUDING Mac's regardless if you're home or camping.
I use a VPN connection to route all of my traffic whenever I am on a public network. It encrypts everything and is pretty safe from things like Wireshark or Aircrack.

I don't get great distance on my Wifi, but in general it does penetrate the camper enough to cover the camp site.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:13 AM   #7

My cell service is with a rural coop phone company so my motorola smart phone has unlimited data so i just use the phone as a wifi hotspot (password required) to run my Ipad .never had a problem getting on the net from inside but I do have the fiberglass shell.
Not a fulltimer so I never do anything such as banking when camping.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote