Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #1

Question Wireless rearview camera on new Jayco x213

Hey there,

I just bought a new 2013 Jayco x213 (so awesome) and I have an old wireless rearview camera I want to hook up to it.

What I was hoping someone might know... is if I would be capable of powering my small camera using the 4 pin connector on my truck.

I'm not sure what kind of power the 4pin outputs, and if it's always active power or only when the brakes or signals are applied. I thought of using the 12v connecter inside the trailer (which my camera is already wired for) but I want to use this method so my camera doesn't drain my trailer battery (its already killed an portable battery). As far as I'm aware, the 4 pin only outputs power while the truck is turned on.

A bit of research shows that the brake connecter (brown) applies the most voltage at 11v, but is that constant power? Or only when the brakes are applied?

I know this isn't related to my jayco specifically but maybe someone has tried this before. Anyone think this is do-able? If so, how?

Thanks!
Carbon900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:37 AM   #2

Usually, the four pin connectors have wires for ground, right & left turn sig, and parking lights. 5-way connectors add a wire for brakes, 6-way adds battery, and 7-way adds back up lights. Brakes are usually self-grounding, which means that current is only on that line when TV brakes are applied. Turn sigs and park lights are only on when TV lights are on. So, assuming that you have the 5 way with brakes, there will be no constant voltage, even if TV is running.

If you also have a 6 or 7 pin connector, in addition to the 5 pin connector, then you could connect the wire from your camera to the battery connection (on the 6 or 7 way), which should be a constant 12V. If not, you would have to run a wire on the TV from a constant hot lead back to the connection with the camera. Include an in-line fuse at a convenient accessible point. BUT - if you connect the camera either of these two ways, be sure not to leave it connected once the TV is shut off, or you will drain your TV battery.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #3

Re: Wireless rearview camera on new Jayco x213

I would just hook it in as your 7 pin connector charges your battery while on the road.