Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-24-2016, 10:16 PM   #1

15 F150 Supercrew 3.5L V6 TIVCT 3.73 ratio

Is anyone towing with a '15 F150 supercrew 3.5L V6 TIVCT 3.73 ratio (not ecoboost)? If so, what are you towing, weight, and how well does it handle? I currently have a 15 17z that i will be towing, but hope to be sble to upgrade to a larger camper in the future with the same truck.
kwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:49 AM   #2

If you haven't already bought the truck I would advise you to step back and think about it before you do anything. In my opinion there is no point in buying that truck with that engine if you plan on towing anything. There's really no benefit - your fuel savings will be minimal if any and all you're going to get is a nice truck that struggles.

You already stated that you're thinking about upgrading trailers to something larger, so why would you voluntarily handicap yourself with respect to your trailer choices? The F-150 is an awesome towing vehicle if you equip it properly and the base model V6 is not what you're looking for in a tow vehicle. Look at the 5.0L or the 3.5Eco for towing. This will allow you more flexibility for future trailer upgrades and an overall more pleasant towing experience. You're really not saving much with the base V6 option.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:38 AM   #3

My parents have a 2014 F150 with that engine and tow a 2013 Jay Feather 24T (UVW 4465 lbs; GVWR 6250 lbs). They basically tow it about 1 hour on a flat road each way to their favorite camping spot. They don't overload it (just two of them and their husky mix).

If you're considering something larger, then pay the $2K upgrade and get an EcoBoost or the V8.

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
If you haven't already bought the truck I would advise you to step back and think about it before you do anything. In my opinion there is no point in buying that truck with that engine if you plan on towing anything. There's really no benefit - your fuel savings will be minimal if any and all you're going to get is a nice truck that struggles.

You already stated that you're thinking about upgrading trailers to something larger, so why would you voluntarily handicap yourself with respect to your trailer choices? The F-150 is an awesome towing vehicle if you equip it properly and the base model V6 is not what you're looking for in a tow vehicle. Look at the 5.0L or the 3.5Eco for towing. This will allow you more flexibility for future trailer upgrades and an overall more pleasant towing experience. You're really not saving much with the base V6 option.
Agreed. Wholeheartedly.

As long as your stepping back consider what you think you might be upgrading to regarding trailer in the future. The F150s are very respectable, but even Dodge's and Chevy's are looking great. Perhaps consider going in ugly early, and look at things in the 250/2500 range. Even they are getting decent gas mileage these days as daily drivers.
Throw a load in in anything and hook a trailer on it, and fuel mileage will go down. The question then becomes, how safe and capable do you want to be while towing?
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote