Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-30-2014, 01:11 PM   #21

I owned a 1992 extended cab Chevy 1500 4x4 w/350, 5sp manual and 3.42 rear end. Not a big tow machine by any means. Still, it towed our sedan and household goods across country (twice), then towed a 23ft TT until we outgrew it. Mpg was ~8mpg w/the trailer. The engine NEVER got hot (~190F), but then the truck would never get up past 35mph. I did notice that I had a trailer behind me. I had to always be aware of sway issues.

Moved up to a 1996 suburban 2500 4x4 w/454, 4L80E trans, and 4.10 rear end. 10K towing capacity and 18K GCVW. No issues towing the 23ft TT. Then moved up to to a Jayco 26BHS (9300 GTW). Snoqualmie pass now meant 3rd gear and 35mph. Mpg towing was ~7mpg and the engine always ran hot (~220F). Brakes on that generation GMC were horrible - even after I upgraded them to 1ton rear cylinders. At 170,000miles, the truck was wearing out. Even with the larger trailer, I never noticed it behind me, it was always stable.

Now I have a 2010 dodge ram CCLB 2500 w/cummins, 6sp auto, and 3.73 rear end, AND an exhaust brake. I can now climb Snoqualmie pass at 65mph, pass who ever I want, then engage the exhaust brake, descend at 50 mph and not touch the brake pedal. Stability is awesome. I get ~12.5mpg towing (at 60-65mph).

Tim
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:35 PM   #22
Lost in the Woods

These trucks are becoming more amazing every day.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:40 PM   #23
Lost in the Woods

"You just don't have the same safety buffer." How much of a towing safety buffer would you estimate you need before you move to the next level of truck. I'm thinking primarily about braking and secondarily about uphill Umph.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:43 PM   #24

What do you mean with capable and desirable?
What do you want to solve? Swing? Speed going up the hill?
As per the producer I understand that both are capable of towing your rig..

Just trying to understand ...
R

For a person may labor with wisdom, knowledge and skill, and then they must leave all they own to another who has not toiled for it. This too is meaningless ... Ecclesiastes 2:21
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:46 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerS View Post
"You just don't have the same safety buffer." How much of a towing safety buffer would you estimate you need before you move to the next level of truck. I'm thinking primarily about braking and secondarily about uphill Umph.
Who are you quoting? It would be helpful if you used the quote feature when quoting another member so we know which post it came from.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:51 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
What do you mean with capable and desirable?
What do you want to solve? Swing? Speed going up the hill?
As per the producer I understand that both are capable of towing your rig..

Just trying to understand ...
R
More capable in that the payload will not be exceeded on the 2500 and more desirable in that it is a much more stable ride especially on windy days. Other then that I guess you have to tow with both to appreciate the differences.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:18 PM   #27

"Stable ride on windy days" means you have swing problems in wind days (assuming you have a swing control hitch not a swing elimination hitch).
While a bigger truck may be the right solution for payload (a less expensive way would be to find an option that can handle more payload), it is not the more elegant solution for the swing problem.
To try to reduce swing with a heavier TV and a stiffer suspension (4x4?) is expensive and you end up with a stiff (less comfortable) ride when not towing...
A hensley or pro-pride hitch can eliminate (not reduce) swing for a fraction of the cost of the heavier truck and you will still have a truck with the comfort of a car when not towing...

R

For a person may labor with wisdom, knowledge and skill, and then they must leave all they own to another who has not toiled for it. This too is meaningless ... Ecclesiastes 2:21
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 02:27 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
More capable in that the payload will not be exceeded on the 2500 and more desirable in that it is a much more stable ride especially on windy days. Other then that I guess you have to tow with both to appreciate the differences.
You're exactly right, and when comparing a 2016 1500 with higher GVWR and GCWR, the 2500's are now at 10K GVWR and 25K GCWR with Cummins, same GVWR, but less GCWR with the 6.4 Hemi.

Truck in my sig in 2012 had a GVWR of 12,300# and GCWR of 25K, In 2013, with all new frame and suspension, as well as medium duty tranny, (Aisin) GVWR went to 14K and GCWR, (both trucks had 4.10), went from 25K to 37.5K

These trucks today have come a very long way in a short period of time.
B&W RVK 3600 hitch
USAF Viet Nam Vet
NC Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 02:33 PM   #29

Quote:
"Stable ride on windy days" means you have swing problems in wind days (assuming you have a swing control hitch not a swing elimination hitch).
While a bigger truck may be the right solution for payload (a less expensive way would be to find an option that can handle more payload), it is not the more elegant solution for the swing problem.
To try to reduce swing with a heavier TV and a stiffer suspension (4x4?) is expensive and you end up with a stiff (less comfortable) ride when not towing...
A hensley or pro-pride hitch can eliminate (not reduce) swing for a fraction of the cost of the heavier truck and you will still have a truck with the comfort of a car when not towing...

R
If one is going to tow at a certain weight, one needs to make sure they have the right truck to do it with, for at least safety sake...My daily driver is a 1 ton crew cab dually with long bed and 4X4, and in Laramie Longhorn trim, I'm wrapped in luxury...it's not a bad ride at all, ( been daily driving with dually for almost 11 years). I need it due to weight I tow.. IF I don't want a bigger TV, Then I will keep weight of 5er down to where I can tow with a car like ride offered by a 1/2 ton truck.

No worries with sway towing a 5er or TT with the right truck, not pushed to it's limits.
B&W RVK 3600 hitch
USAF Viet Nam Vet
NC Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 02:33 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
While a bigger truck may be the right solution for payload (a less expensive way would be to find an option that can handle more payload), it is not the more elegant solution for swing control.
Try to reduce swing heavier TV with a stiffer suspension (4x4?) is expensive and you end up with a stiff (less confortable) ride all the other time you are not towing...

R

It is not a sway issue where the trailer is swaying. I have never encountered a sway event while pulling this trailer with either truck. Its more a feeling of being pushed around by the wind, truck and trailer included. Part of that is the P tires on the 1500, along with shorter wheelbase, lighter curb weight and maxed out springs. Along with that If you put 5 people in the 1500 along with a TW of around 1000 lbs and gear in the truck its just too much for the old gal to bear. Yes she will and did tow it for 3 years but with the 2500 having all that payload, larger frame and brakes, LT tires, longer WB due to being a crew cab, its just a much more pleasant drive all around and no payload worries. And the Crew over the extended is much more comfy for the family.

I`m not the kind who thinks you need a 1 ton diesel to pull a popup. But in my case upgrading the truck which I bought used for 14K was a good fit for me and my family and money well spent. A new hitch system simply would not have accomplished all this IMO. I already had a quality Reese dual cam hitch that worked and still works well. No sway then or now.