Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-03-2016, 08:20 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiankid View Post
That's the posted payload from factory? Have you ever taken your truck to the scales?
Yes, factory number. No, I haven't taken it to the scales, didn't really see a need to. I've loaded firewood, bikes and other stuff in the back of the truck and felt no ill effects with the WDH adjusted properly...

Maybe my comfort level is high after years of towing race cars, boats and horse trailers with no WDH - this thing is a piece of cake compared to some stuff I've towed in the past...

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:30 AM   #22

There are a lot of folks that want to be precise about weight distribution and in cases it can be detrimental to ignore it such as in the case of a at fault accident or a state that pushes numbers at a weight scale. I personally in all my 35 years of towing trailers have never visited a scale. I try to do enough research to be safe number wise and common sense goes a long way.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:34 AM   #23

Gone camping I totally agree, even with my 29qbs I felt fine towing it with my 1500. It became a matter of what's legal for me. I was very surprised that my payload with myself and a full tank of gas was under 1000lbs. Never had a problem towing it but if I had been pulled over by DOT's I would have had a nice ticket to pay!
canadiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:45 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone campin View Post
Yes, factory number. No, I haven't taken it to the scales, didn't really see a need to. I've loaded firewood, bikes and other stuff in the back of the truck and felt no ill effects with the WDH adjusted properly...

Maybe my comfort level is high after years of towing race cars, boats and horse trailers with no WDH - this thing is a piece of cake compared to some stuff I've towed in the past...
I thought my last truck (F150 Crew Cab) had plenty of payload too, and then I finally went to the scales fully loaded and found I was 300lbs over weight (with a 630 lb tongue weight). It adds up surprisingly fast.

Towed absolutely fine though I so hear what you're saying. Experience > #'s on a page, to a certain point.

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:54 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photographermama View Post
Hi. We just bought a 2016 264bhw. We are now choosing our tow vehicle and are going back and forth between a 2010 Silverado 1500 crew cab LT 4w. It has towing package and trans cooler, 6 speed trans, and 5.3 V8, with 3.42 axle ratio, and Z71. They are asking $19,700. My husband just keeps worrying about the off road package shocks being a pain and wondering if we should just be patient and wait for a 2500 Silverado to pop up. Any help? Any thoughts? We are excited to go back to camping!
If you had a 1/2 ton I would try it and go to the scales. But since you are looking to pick up a tow vehicle I would look at the 3/4 ton. You won't be disappointed having more capacity.
Pull Rite SuperGlide #4100 Hitch w/Mor-Ryde Pin Box
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:12 AM   #26

I would go 3/4 ton and try to get one with the 6 speed tranny. It makes a world of difference in how much it shifts on hills
Old 04-03-2016, 09:28 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone campin View Post
I must be missing something... with a payload of 1795# on my Silverado, how is it even close?!?
Is that what's on the door sticker or is that what the sales add says? Oftentimes people get confused with the sales numbers which are max payload for that model with a regular cab 2x4 small engine and no options. Add 4x4 and crew cab and all the leather and power and every other door dad and the payload along with towing capacity falls greatly.

Example... I have a '14 Ram 1500 4x4 crew with Ramboxes and 3.92 gears and Hemi. Everything said I should be able to town over 16k pounds and have something like 1600 lbs payload if I remember. However as my truck was optioned it was actually barely 7000 lbs towing and just under 800 payload. For what it's worth, I did pull and load it heavier numerous times and it didn't struggle other than the rear would sag under much weight but that was easily dealt with. It actually did fine under normal conditions. The issue is, how would it do once things went wrong? Maybe fine? However there is a liability when it doesn't go fine. Now to add something else. I now have a Ram 2500 diesel 4x4 optioned very similarly. Pulling small loads is so effortless it did make it seem like the 1500was working much harder . Pulling heavy loads actually feels easier than the lighter loads in the 1500. It's pretty effortless even in hills or wind now where I certainly felt much more requiring more attention before.

As others have said, if you are buying a truck for towing buy one designed for it. It'll also allow upgrades in the future if a bigger trailer is desired which is usually the evolution anyway.
oz97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:48 PM   #28

The 2500 Burb would do the job as well. The limitation of the Burb though is the factory receiver hitch, which can not be replaced due to how it is integrated into the bumper. It has a tw (tongue weight) rating of only 1000lbs if I recall correctly. There have been a few who have had it strengthened at a weld shop. Look for some threads over on RV.Net in regards to this. Member APT has a newer 2500 Burb (6spd) and has been very happy with it.

As mentioned, get a truck/ Burb with the 6spd trans if at all possible!!! If you go with the 1500, you will need the 3.42 gearing. The 2500HD will have either the 3.73's (Burb only had this) or the 4.10's.

Keep us posted!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:34 PM   #29

Good post, I'm in the same situation I have a 2010 Z71 Silverado quad cab 4x4 1500, with towing package transmission cooler, my trailer is the Jayco HT 29.5 halfton towable, my truck pulls it fine, our plan is to take the trailer to Vancouver Island B.C. My concern is climbing the mountains with this truck and trailer anyone have any thoughts, plan is to get trailer their stay 6 months winter months then back home again, we will be traveling light just two people tanks in trailer will be empty and most of our food will be bought once at our location, any thoughts on this much appreciated thx
Manitoban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:08 AM   #30

This is one of those things where everyone has a opinion.

Can it be done with a 1500?

Absolutely.

Will it be a enjoyable towing experience?

No

My last truck was a 13 Silverado 1500,ext cab,standard bed,4x4, z71 5.3L, 3.42 gears.On flat ground it did ok.However on hills 45 mph wide open throttle.I could manually down shift and get it up to 55 mph.However I had to watch the coolant and transmission temps because they would start to rise doing so.The squashy tire made me feel like I was riding a dolphin on any bump.I never totally felt in control.Yes the weight distribution was setup correctly and everything was properly loaded.

I traded that truck for a 2015 Silverado 2500,crew cab,standard box,4x4, 6.0L(gas)4.10 gears.The difference is night and day.While the 1500 was begging for bloody murder,Screaming it's guts out,crying and telling me "Please no more".The 2500 HD laughs at everything I throw at it and begs for more.Now when I hit a bump towing,I feel a bump and it's done.I don't feel like I'm riding a dolphin.I feel safe,I feel secure.
WrenZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:54 AM   #31

Man I know you're glad that you bought that 2500 with that kind of experience and when I got to the campground you wasn't wore out from the tense driving, I wouldn't want to wish that on nobody.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:34 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Man I know you're glad that you bought that 2500 with that kind of experience and when I got to the campground you wasn't wore out from the tense driving, I wouldn't want to wish that on nobody.
I'm telling difference is night and day.The only added stress on my last trip was due to the extra length of the truck backing into the tight spots of the camp ground I go to.The normal spots I get were full,The only 2 left open were horrible to get a trailer in.The extra foot or so of truck didn't help my cause.

What surprised me on the way home coming down the grade.The truck never down shifted.I had cruise control set at 55 mph.It maintained it flawlessly and never went more then slightly above 2K Rpm's.Not a diesel so no exhaust brake,I'm guessing it worked the brakes on its own to maintain the speed.
WrenZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:24 PM   #33

Yes, I agree i just pick up a 2016 2500 6.4L ram and wanted to be sure that I will enough truck for what I'm looking on getting.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:46 PM   #34

If one already has a 1500 then it makes sense to use it. On the other hand if you have no truck yet then look for the 2500.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:25 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrenZ71 View Post
I'm telling difference is night and day.The only added stress on my last trip was due to the extra length of the truck backing into the tight spots of the camp ground I go to.The normal spots I get were full,The only 2 left open were horrible to get a trailer in.The extra foot or so of truck didn't help my cause.

What surprised me on the way home coming down the grade.The truck never down shifted.I had cruise control set at 55 mph.It maintained it flawlessly and never went more then slightly above 2K Rpm's.Not a diesel so no exhaust brake,I'm guessing it worked the brakes on its own to maintain the speed.
Just curious what length and weight of trailer were you pulling with your 1/2 ton, I'm pulling a HT Model lighter trailer with my 1/2 Ton it's a great truck great shape well looked after I don't want to spend big bucks upgrading right now, since I only pull my trailer short distances right now 3 to 8 hour drives, no reason to buy another truck right now and hate to get rid of a truck that's been good to me, we will see in a few years like I said my only concern was the mountains and climbing and breaking down the hills. Thx
Old 06-21-2016, 07:32 PM   #36

Manitoban What are the hills like around Thompson? The only hill that had given my half ton a challenge here in Manitoba was by minnedosa on the way to Riding Mountain. The only reason I upgraded was because I'm planning a trip out west next year and then will be in some real mountains.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:35 PM   #37

I must disagree with many of the others pushing you towards a 2500. If you tow occasionally (<10% time driving) and your trailer weights are low enough for a 1500, you should go with a properly equipped 1500 (tow package, integrated brake controller, 1700lb+ payload, LT tires). From Jayco's specifications for your trailer, you should be able to find a suitable 1500.

While a 2500 or 3500 will always tow better, what no one seems to be taking into account is the 90% of the time you will not be towing. The 1500 will be easier to drive, park, have better fuel economy, and will be safer. Look up the IIHS and NHTSA safety ratings for HD trucks from each of the big three and compare it to those of their 1500's. Most people are fooled by the size of the HD trucks, thinking that they are safer, but that is very much not true.

Roughly 5% of my driving time is spent towing a substantially heavier trailer, a 28BHBE, with a 2015 GMC Sierra that is properly equipped. I have been to the scales, I am within my payload and axle ratings, but would definitely prefer to tow with a 3500 (don't see the point of 2500s). However, this is outweighed by the 95% of the time that I am driving without the trailer. My truck is at least 2" lower the HD trucks (less prone to rollover), at least 1000# lighter, significantly decreased stopping distance, independent front suspension for better steering, etc.

If you will be towing regularly than an HD truck might make sense, but in that case go for a 3500 so you have plenty of room to grow and full floating axles front and rear. This is especially the case for trucks with diesel engines, 2500s with diesels do not have very impressive payloads.

Just my opinion, but I think the safety argument has merit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photographermama View Post
Hi. We just bought a 2016 264bhw. We are now choosing our tow vehicle and are going back and forth between a 2010 Silverado 1500 crew cab LT 4w. It has towing package and trans cooler, 6 speed trans, and 5.3 V8, with 3.42 axle ratio, and Z71. They are asking $19,700. My husband just keeps worrying about the off road package shocks being a pain and wondering if we should just be patient and wait for a 2500 Silverado to pop up. Any help? Any thoughts? We are excited to go back to camping!
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:36 PM   #38

It's not Manitoba I'm worried about that's easy street lol I'm planning to take my 5th wheel to Vancouver Island leave it there for 6 months at an RV resort on the island get away from the Manitoba winters, just wondering how my truck will do up and down the mountains I have a 2010 z71 GFX 4x4 quad cab with towing package and transmission cooler, thx
Old 06-21-2016, 07:47 PM   #39

Manitoban
What are you a pulling?

Motorbreath I totally agree with part of what your saying, if you don't need a 2500/3500 don't get one but in my opinion if you are close to weights and stress about it then by all means it's a huge improvement. I drive big trucks for a living so as a daily driver I love it, I'm more comfortable in a big vehicle but parking can be a little tricky at times. We take my wife's car to a lot of our kids events and such. Not sure why you're against the 2500 tho. With 2700# payload I sure don't see an reason to increase.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:49 PM   #40

Trucks

Pulling the Jayco 2016 29.5 HT HBDS