Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #1

2006 KIA Sedona as a TV

FYI to anyone with a 2006-now Kia Sedona, I have good news! The van has not 1 but 2 transmission coolers from the factory. However the rear springs are weak so you will absolutely want to get a Timbren SES kit.

I tweeted Kia of America and they got back to me within a day to let me know about the tranny coolers. One less expense in getting ready!

Oops! Can a moderator edit my title to include Kia Sedona!!!
billycuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
Site Team

Done.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #3

Many mini-vans (like Kia, GMs, Dodge, Honda, etc. etc.) are FWD and rated to max 3,500 lbs trailer. This assume single 150 lbs driver and no other stuff inside the vehicle. And, the trailer doesn't have "window wall" drag. Wind drag is like towing a trailer for 300 more lbs. I have a 2009 mini-van and max pull with average gear and passengers in vehicle is 2,600 lbs. I once pulled a loaded 3,000 lbs utility trailer and one can feel it back there. Thus, my new max is a firm < 2,600 lbs trailer. When pulling above 1,500 lbs behind a mini-van, its best to have electrical brakes on the trailer as well. If wondering, my 17ft boat and 5x10 utility trailer have their own electric brakes. If trailer doesn't have brakes, the TV has high risk of wrapping from brake rotors during panic stops. Besting this risk, electric brakes on trailer behind mini van dramatically reduces braking distance as well. Especially when braking down hills. To reduct rear sag on my mini-van, I installed Timbren SES units. re: http://timbren.com/timbren-ses/ Unlike air bags, Timbren SES units are a simple "install and leave" product. No worry about air leaks or adjusting. If wondering, my boat and utility trailers cannot accept a WDS system. If pulling a PUP and/or RV/TT with your mini-van, I highly recommend using a WDS hitch (with properly sized bars).

Long mumblings short… Keep trailer weights under 2,600 lbs (with other stuff in mini-van) and take it easy. When towing, my mini-van is one of the slowest TV + trailer combos on the road. And, my vehicle thanks me for it…

Hope this helps.
Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #4

Thanks Spike. We're headed off on our maiden trip tonight. I installed the Timbren kit last night and what a difference that made. My Sedona no longer sags in the back.

The dry weight of my camper is 2882, but I was able to get it home safely with just a swaybar. I would expect a much better result today. Next, I will invest in a WDH, but I don't want to invest too much in the event that I have to go out and get a whole new vehicle.

Anyway, I was encouraged when I tested the van after installing the Timbren kit and the fender was no where near the wheel.
billycuth is offline   Reply With Quote