Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-15-2016, 05:35 PM   #1

2010 dodge ram 1500 5.7 big horn????

hello, I have this 2010 ram 1500 4X4 quad cab w/ 5.7 hemi. short bed. I have a 2014 jayflight 22fb and I'm looking to possibly upgrade and found this excellent condition 2010 sundance 265rk 5th wheel. I'm not good at figuring this stuff out and was wondering if I were able to tow this 5th wheel or do I need to upgrade to a ram 2500 (which I cant afford right now?? and tips or info would be helpful.
the truck I have now is the Ram big horn package with the 20' wheels
seaswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:43 AM   #2
Lost in the Woods

You'll have to look at the payload available in your truck on the yellow sticker on your door and figure out how much weight is in your truck when you go camping (passengers, kids, dogs, coolers etc.) and subtract this from the payload sticker to get your remaining available payload.

5th wheels generally have a pin weight of 15 to 20% of the fully loaded trailer, so if this amount exceeds your remaining available payload, you would be exceeding the rated capacities of your truck. Finally you need to verify that the Rear Axle Rating of your truck would not be exceeded with the pin weight of the trailer you are considering.

Typically, the more options you have on your truck (which adds weight), the less payload you will have. There is a good chance the 5th will exceed the capacities of your truck unless you have some sort of special Heavy Duty Payload package from Ram on your truck. Also short box trucks typically require sliding hitches which are more expensive than regular 5th wheel hitches. If you post the payload, Rear Axle Weight Rating (RAWR, Front Axle Weight Rating (FAWR) and the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) and the weight of the trailer, others will probably chime in with more precise information for you.

Dealers will tell you its no problem to exceed the ratings on your truck but they won't put it in writing. You will see people doing it, just like you see people driving 95 mp/h on the highway, but it will catch up with them eventually.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:57 AM   #3

Ram Trucks - Towing Guide - Capacity Chart
Click the red box.
Enter your VIN.

That's where I got the info I used to decide on my jayflight.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:09 AM   #4

Ottawasteve is exactly right.

But I think you'll be disappointed at the available payload for your Ram. That year and that trim package looks to offer between 1280 and 1480 lbs base payload (Ram Trucks - Towing & Payload). If you've added anything, that number decreases. If you have passengers or gear in the truck, that number decreases. The fifth wheel hitch will also eat into that capacity quite a bit. So, you see your available payload dwindles quite rapidly.

Even with that Sundance being an "ultralight" fifth wheel, you're still looking at a lot of weight on the pin. The only weight I could find for that trailer was about 6800 lbs (don't know if that's dry weight, yellow sticker weight, GVWR, etc) and at 25% on the pin, that's 1700 lbs. Significantly over your truck's maximum potential payload.

Another suggestion. To get the truck's exact payload capacity remaining, take it to a scale as you would if you were taking your trailer out. Family, gear, full fuel, etc. Subtract your scale weight from the GVWR of the truck, and that's what you have left for hitch and pin weight. There is a yellow tire and loading information sticker in your driver side door jamb that will say something like "combined weight of passengers and cargo should not exceed X,XXX lbs". Also check your rear GAWR to make sure you aren't exceeding your rear axle weight rating.

I think if you do the math, I think you'll find out quickly that you either need more truck, or you need to pass on the fiver. Unfortunately, Ram 1/2 ton trucks are not really strong on payload.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote