Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-31-2014, 04:36 PM   #11
Originally Posted by cyprant View Post
Where can I find the cost of a new Axel?
I would start a new thread. Try to include your model, year, VIN Number, bolt pattern (4,5,6) - spring or torsion - axle rating.....any and all will help.

Good Luck

Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:18 PM   #12
Welcome to the fourm Trailer brakes are very handy when you have to stop fast. Having a much larger pup at one time I had to lock them up a few times. Was not fun don't forget you have all the weight of the trailer,passengers and all your gear on bord You also may want to check with your state transportation department to see if they have any rules that apply. As far as an axle try e-trailer on line but it can be a bit of a chore switching them out. Also look at a conversion kit may be cheaper and lastly take your checkbook with you the dealer may let you upgrade. The sway bar is easy to install and can be bought on line or at walmart

outofhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:29 PM   #13
As someone who has a 2011 Grand Caravan if you can add additional brakes to the trailer, do it. Our GC has had the brakes replaced twice and it only has 25,000km on it as they keep seizing.
2010 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 186BH
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport, 5.7L Hemi, 3.92 axle.
Huntsvillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:48 PM   #14
So I contacted Jayco and Dexter axel today and after providing the VIN number of my soon to be delivered 2015 1007UD they determined that my axel will have the flanges for brakes already on it. I was able to locate the parts needed to add brakes for about $325 and another $125 in labor. Another $275 for a prodigy 2 brake controller installed on my van.

Wish I would have been able to locate this pup with all the features I wanted from the factory, but after talking to Jayco, all units are sold already through July. So If we ordered one we MAY get it by August... Not worth missing 3/4 of a camping season.

Does this seem like a good deal?
If for some reason they were wrong about the flanges, add $300 to a total of $1000 to add brakes...

What would make a bigger impact, spending this $ on brakes or WDH and Sway control??
cyprant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:19 AM   #15
Sounds reasonable unless you have the know how to it yourself. Sometimes its worth paying someone to do it.

The Prodigy sounds high though. Though I'm sure that includes the wiring. They will most likely have to run a wire for the brakes. Most mini-vans would not have that wiring installed from the factory.
2013 Jayco Jayfeather X20 E, 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 SLE
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:12 AM   #16
If I had to choose between brakes, WDH or sway control I would choose brakes. My 1206 (at about 3500 lbs it is quite a bit heavier that yours) came with surge breaks and I locked them up this weekend on a panic stop when someone pulled out in front of me when I was only about 20 feet away as I was doing 35 mph. Glad a cop saw the whole thing and pulled the idiot over. And I was only 3 miles from home.

Scott, DW, and Twin DS (5)

2013 Jayco Jay 1206
2005 Chevy Trailblazer
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote