Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2014, 10:26 AM   #1

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel tow equipment tips

Here's some information that may be useful for anyone who is thinking about adding a brake controller and tow hitch assembly to a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee ("JGC") EcoDiesel.

Although the RV dealer's service shop could have also installed the brake controller and tow hitch equipment, I decided to go with the Jeep dealer for two reasons. First, I decided to use the genuine MOPR brake controller as the JGC was already pre-wired for it. This minimized the risk associated with having to do a custom install. The RV dealer had a line item for "MISC wiring" in their estimate, which I was told was some padding in the event they ran into unknown issues with the JGC. IMHO, custom workarounds are never a good thing for a new car warranty. Second, the Jeep dealer's installation of the tow hitch included cutting the rear bumper cover and adding the bezel to match the factory installed tow hitch. The RV dealer was unsure they would be able to do the same thing.

Brake controller tip...
  • After installing the brake controller, the JGC's ECM must be flashed by the dealer to enable the towing circuitry at the fuse box. I learned this the hard way, while picking up our new TT at the RV dealer. After completing the PDI, we hooked up the TT and noticed none of the lights were working on the TT. A quick inspection of the fuse box and we noticed that none of the towing related fuses had any power. I had to bring the JGC back to the dealer to have the ECM flashed.

I'm not sure if a Chrysler/Jeep dealership is the only place to get the ECM flashed with the towing options, but our RV dealer definitely didn't have the equipment to do it.

JGC EcoDiesel towing equipment myths... this assumes a 2014 JGC EcoDiesel without factory installed tow package.
  • Heavy duty cooling is standard on the EcoDiesel.
  • There is no factory option for transmission cooling.
  • Higher amp alternator (same one installed with factory tow package) is standard on the EcoDiesel.
  • The factory installed tow package does not include a brake controller. This will still have to be purchased and installed later. Get the Jeep dealer to throw it in when purchasing.
  • The factory installed tow package comes with rear shocks that are optimized for towing.

This is the first TV I've ever owned and pulled our X213 for the first time last weekend. Everything seemed to work perfectly, but I have no real experience to compare it to.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 06-22-2014, 11:42 AM   #2

Some good advice for others considering the Jeep GC EcoDiesel. Keep us posted on it performs towing and the MPG.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:36 PM   #3

I have an X213 as well and I'm quite curious to hear about how it tows and real world mileage.

Read a test of one recently and over a week of mixed driving they averaged 25mpg ( no towing). Considering my Expedition ranges from 13-16 mpg that's a massive improvement.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:41 AM   #4

@Paulx213 - We're heading out today to a SP about 100 miles from our house, so i'll be sure to set the computer and calculate MPG for this trip. Forgot to do it on our last trip.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulx213 View Post
I have an X213 as well and I'm quite curious to hear about how it tows and real world mileage.

Read a test of one recently and over a week of mixed driving they averaged 25mpg ( no towing). Considering my Expedition ranges from 13-16 mpg that's a massive improvement.
We averaged 16.6 MPG for our 220 mile round trip towing the X213. I kept the JGC in sport mode for the entire trip, which provides more aggressive shifting and shifts more power to the rear wheels. I'm guessing i could have gotten better MPG if i left it in non-sport mode. My speed didn't get much above 55 MPH as we're still in our recommended "first 500 miles of towing" break-in period.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 06-30-2014, 01:31 PM   #6

That's great. You get better mileage towing then I get solo. ( I get about 10 MPG US towing).

Definitely will consider the diesel Grand Cherokee when I replace the Expedition.

Tags
ecodiesel, grand cherokee, jeep, jgc