Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-17-2017, 01:43 PM   #1

2014 Silverado tire upgrade time

Need to replace my stock tires for my 1500 silverado 4wd crew cab. Stock tires are (265 /65 R18). Picking up a 2017 x23b in april and looking for help on getting the correct tires for the tow. Do i go with the same LT tires or would it be safer to go with a heavier load tire. Should i be looking for a wider or taller size? Not sure how it all effects things when towing as i am new to towing a TT of this size.
If anyone has a similar set up and knows the pros and cons it would be greatly appreciated. Safety, performance, longevity all important!
Thanks in advance for the help

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Jason25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason25 View Post
Need to replace my stock tires for my 1500 silverado 4wd crew cab. Stock tires are (265 /65 R18). Picking up a 2017 x23b in april and looking for help on getting the correct tires for the tow. Do i go with the same LT tires or would it be safer to go with a heavier load tire. Should i be looking for a wider or taller size? Not sure how it all effects things when towing as i am new to towing a TT of this size.
If anyone has a similar set up and knows the pros and cons it would be greatly appreciated. Safety, performance, longevity all important!
Thanks in advance for the help

I wouldn't change the size of the tire but you might consider moving up to a load range E which would have the added benefit of having a stiffer sidewall. This will help with sway and give you a more "controlled" feeling. It will give you a stiffer ride when empty though.
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:18 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk98 View Post
I wouldn't change the size of the tire but you might consider moving up to a load range E .....snip
X2

...... in the "LT".

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:20 PM   #4

Jason,

Congrats on the new rig!!!

When we had our '10 Silverado 1500 towing ~7200lbs (about 900lbs tw) we had a slight "wiggle" when towing with the factory tires (Duellers think they were). Switched to a set of Cooper A/T3's 275/65/18 LT C and was very happy with them!!! The wiggle was gone. Only thing I didn't try them in was mud.... Snow, ice, dry, wet.... performed great towing the clamshell snowmobile trailer to Northern Michigan and Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario area or the travel trailer.

Going up a size (from 265/65/18) didn't change the performance from the seat of the pants meter, even when towing. Only reason I did change the size was the 275/65/18 was way cheaper than the 265/65/18.

Not sure what your exact weights are, but a LR C tire will give better towing performance. Ever so slight change in the mpg, but hardly noticeable.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:38 PM   #5

Congratulations on your new trailer!

I have a different view on tires and just throwing another thought at you.

The need for LT tires pulling a trailer that size isn't necessary. Modern "P" rated truck tires are not the same as "P" rated car tires, like they used to put on Suburbans and Tahoes. Those really sucked. Modern truck tires can take a decent PSI and are fine for using towing loads like yours.

Our X20E is only a little smaller than your X23B at GVWR of 4750#. I put a set of Yokohama Geolander AT/S tires on my Sierra last spring. They max at 51 psi. I put 48 psi in my rear tires when towing. Makes for a nice stable and comfortable towing experience. I haven't had any wiggle.

One thing to note is that not all AT truck tires have max PSI as high as 51. Many max at 42. I think Firestone Destination LEs are like that. If you can't put at least 45 psi in them, you certainly would be better off with LT.

Regarding size just stick with the stock size.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:33 PM   #6

For lighter loads the P rated truck tires are OK, but their sidewalls flex too much for me. Towing with LTs is much much better especially for larger TTs which catch alot of wind, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Congratulations on your new trailer!

I have a different view on tires and just throwing another thought at you.

The need for LT tires pulling a trailer that size isn't necessary. Modern "P" rated truck tires are not the same as "P" rated car tires, like they used to put on Suburbans and Tahoes. Those really sucked. Modern truck tires can take a decent PSI and are fine for using towing loads like yours.

Our X20E is only a little smaller than your X23B at GVWR of 4750#. I put a set of Yokohama Geolander AT/S tires on my Sierra last spring. They max at 51 psi. I put 48 psi in my rear tires when towing. Makes for a nice stable and comfortable towing experience. I haven't had any wiggle.

One thing to note is that not all AT truck tires have max PSI as high as 51. Many max at 42. I think Firestone Destination LEs are like that. If you can't put at least 45 psi in them, you certainly would be better off with LT.

Regarding size just stick with the stock size.
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:33 PM   #7

Thanks for all the info! I think im leaning toward the firestone transforce a/t load E.. If the rough road gets to me driving without the tt i can always drop the tire pressure. Also thinking of adding the timbren ses. With the weight of a topper and a fully loaded bed i can see them really helping. Anyone else using them?

Old 03-17-2017, 08:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason25 View Post
Thanks for all the info! I think im leaning toward the firestone transforce a/t load E.. If the rough road gets to me driving without the tt i can always drop the tire pressure. Also thinking of adding the timbren ses. With the weight of a topper and a fully loaded bed i can see them really helping. Anyone else using them? Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
A possible issue with going to an E rated tire is the tpms system screaming at you for overinflation if you do air them up close to max pressure (80psi), and the rims not being rated for pressure that high.

While you probably won't need to air up the tires to near max (80psi), another issue could crop up running the tire pressure to low, causing heat to build up, leading to more issues.

I searched online, even called a few tire dealers and Chevy dealers trying to find the rims max pressure/weights rating, but never did find the info. Another reason I went with the C rated A/T3, because of the tpms system and exact unknown max rim rating. 50psi never gave any fits.

Never really thought I needed a set of air bags or the timbrens.

What all do you anticipate hauling in the bed?

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:06 AM   #9

With my Tundra, I switched the P-rated Michelins out for a set of load range E Cooper AT3s for a much improved towing experience. I never aired them up to max. I normally ran 65 psi rear and 60 psi front. It definitely rode rougher empty (Actually rode like a truck!) but towing was a huge difference in ride and stability.

I had Timbrens on the front end of my 2003 Ram 2500 to handle the weight of an 8.5' V-plow and it rode very rough as it sat on the Timbrens when the plow was on. Empty was no difference. I personally didn't like the way the truck hammered pot holes and bumps with the plow. It felt like there was almost no suspension under the front. When it came time for adding something to the rear of my Tundra, I went with a set of used Ride-Rite air bags. I just carried a small compressor in the bed to air them and any other tires up as needed.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbreath View Post
For lighter loads the P rated truck tires are OK, but their sidewalls flex too much for me. Towing with LTs is much much better especially for larger TTs which catch alot of wind, IMO.
I don't disagree. Please re-read my post. The OP is indeed towing a lighter load. The X23B is 4950# GVWR, that's only 200# more than my trailer and 2 feet longer.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:59 PM   #11

After much time spent researching I've decided to go with the Hankook a/t load e tires.
Less money plus my mechanic loves them on his truck so thats all i needed to hear. Also changed my mind on the timbrens and going with the super spring. Hoping they do the trick to get rid of the rear end sag.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:31 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
Personally, i would go with a P metric Michelin LTX, trailer is not that heavy, and you may find the ride with the 10 plys a bit rough ....
Old 03-24-2017, 09:50 PM   #13

I had a set of Hankook load range E tires on my old class B MH. No complaints.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:13 PM   #14

Just to update the Hankook a/t load range E tires are great. One size up from stock
(265/70r18). Pressure sensors work just fine. Running at 40lbs in front and 50 in the rear to compensate for the fully loaded bed of construction equipment+topper weight. Im really suprised how much better the ride is. The floating feeling of driving a Cadillac is gone. Feels like a truck should and at the same time i dont feel every crack in the road like i was expecting.
Super springs and a wdh come next. I just might have an acceptable TV when its all said and done.