Needed to install a front hitch as a first step to carrying 4 kayaks with our fifth wheel hitched up. Ordered a Drawtite #65049 through Amazon. Today was install day. Remove 2 brackets, install hitch with 4 bolts. Easy peasy, right?
First off, with the experience of installing this hitch, I would strongly suggest one of the other brands that comes in 3 pieces, rather than a single piece welded together like this one. The cross tube of this hitch gets in the way of trying to get bolts inside the frame rail and into the proper holes. It would be way easier to install 2 brackets then bolt the cross tube to them.
Didn't get install pictures, was too busy teaching my helper the sounds of working on the truck (and the words he can't repeat in front of mom). But it was straight forward - remove the two brackets, bolt up the hitch and cut the hole in the air dam. It would help to have a thin wall 15/16" socket for the front bolts. They are pretty close to another bracket.
The rear bolts get installed using a wire that threads onto the bolt and then gets fished through the hole. That worked good. The front bolts were tough to get inside the frame rail and lined into the hole. After some contorting, I got them in. Tightening them was tough too as I didn't have a wrench or socket that would fit in the frame rail. I ended up using the open end of a box wrench on the bolt from the end. If I could have found my 3/8 drive to ½ socket adapter, that probably would have fit in there.
The rotozip got away from me a bit, so the hole is lopsided and bigger than it needs to be, but I don't plan to fret about it. After zipping the hole, I cleaned up the hole and edges with a utility knife.
Now I have to order the Thule Goalpost and the roof rack bar for the truck roof. Then I'll be all set for kayaking while camping!