Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2015, 01:01 PM   #1

23MB with V8 4Runner?

I'm very happy to have found this forum! We are looking at a 23MB and would be towing it with a V8 4Runner (2006). The V8 has a towing capacity of 7000lbs. and the 23MB dry weight is listed at 4200lbs. I know there will be some variation to that due to the options and I know that there is more to "can my vehicle tow this trailer" than just towing capacity. So.... anyone have experience with this combination or any advice on this set up? Thanks!!!
MAJPLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 03:36 PM   #2

Welcome to the Jayco forum. I had a similar experience a few year ago when we purchased our 2011 Jayco X18D Hybrid and towed it with my V6 4Runner (2006) I my case it was a 5000lbs towing capacity with a loaded TT maxing out at 4500lbs. Not a dangerous combination, but not ideal. WD hitch, an added tranny cooler, and staying out of the mountains gave me some added piece of mind, but I always knew I was "towing on the edge."
You will get lots of great technical advice on this forum from people that know about towing campers safely. It is up to you to decide what will work for you.
I believe that getting to where you are going is half the fun , whether it is your favorite CG 45 minutes away or your "bucket list" trip 2500 mile away to the Grand Canyon. Make it safe and make it stress free.