Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-13-2016, 06:32 PM   #1

3500 choices

Looking for opinions on the new DRW 3500s. I've been driving a '02 Dodge 2500 with a 6 speed and cummins HD for 15 years now. Gen 2 5.9. Absolutely love this truck, 250k and no issues. We bought a new coach last year, Pinnacle 38 FLSA. Probably too much for the old 2500, and when we start traveling more I know it will be time to upgrade. I've been a Dodge guy, but I know nothing about the new 6.7, and the options around the big 3. What are the likes and dislikes around all 3? Lot of my friends are duramax guys. I know they are all 3 great trucks, just wanting to get real opinions from real owners and what they see in real towing situations with coaches of this size. Not trying to start a brand war, just looking for thoughts.
Kevin and Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:40 PM   #2

I cant speak to the new 3500 series but I drove both the ford and gmc and I liked the pep of the ford 6.7 better than the duramax. I think all three are formidable to pull but I was just happy with the ford even though I work at the gm truck plant
Old 05-13-2016, 07:13 PM   #3

Between home and work, I drive all 3. My opinion, go drive all 3 and see which you like best. They are all fairly close.

The 6.7 cummins is just a bigger 5.9. Some parts even interchange.

The 6.7 ford has more "go juice".

The chevys ride the best.

The Chevy and Ford automatic transmissions shift a bit smoother than a 68rfe Ram....Never drove an Aisin Ram so I cant speak for them.

The Ram has a lot more room under the hood for maintenance and repair. Looking under the hood of both V-8 diesels is a nightmare. I do about all the maintenance and repair myself after the warranty is up, so this was a big deal to me.

If you still want a manual, Ram is the only option.

One other thing to keep in mind, and this is just my opinion like all the other above, but I dont think any the new diesels will be as long term reliable as the older diesels. They are way more complicated with all the emissions stuff now than your 5.9, and my old 7.3....which is why I kept the 7.3 when I got my Ram.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:27 PM   #4

Well I know the gmc denali did ride better as mine is a little more jittery in the rear on concrete highways but a friend who has had both the 250 and 350 dually in for said the 350 dually actually rides better. I know at the gm plant we put a lot of rancho shocks on the heavy duties
Old 05-14-2016, 02:04 AM   #5

I was a Chevy guy from 1975-2010..last 4 were D/A combo's, last two were Dually's..Loved them...nothing bad to say about them...Saw a brand new 2010 Ram 3500 Dually, was scared to death to give up the Allison for an68RFE auto tranny, BUT, just purchased my 3rd Ram Dually as my retirement truck..I LOVE THEM!....

If you want to run "light to light"..the Ram is your 3rd. choice, if you want the reliability and longivity of the Cummins engine..that's your pick...The 6.7 has been out since 08(?)..but it's as proven as the 5.9,,,I have truck in my sig and it's "wrapped in luxury" and drives rather smooth for a 1 ton, crew cab, long bed, 4 wheel drive truck..I'ts my daily driver and it tows TH in my sig. At 45' and a GVW of 20K, Truck tows it effortlessly through the mountains of SC, NC, TN, VA and WVA..( I also tried out a 2016 Chevy loaded out 3500...I really didn't think it ran any smoother than the Chevy...The interior is awesome..

The medium duty Cummins engine can be strapped to a medium duty Aisin tranny to give you 385HP and 900 ft lb of GRUNT..GVWR is 14K, with a RAWR of 9750# at 65 psi. (AAM rates this axle at 11,800#...with tires filled to max sidewall psi of 80, RAWR is 10.5K..per AAM, not Ram...with the Aisin and 4.10, I have a GCWR of 39,100#..

I think the Ram is one of the best looking trucks on the market, inside and out..The rear air suspension assist allows you to lower the bed a little over an inch when hooking up a 5er ..then when 5er is on hitch and locked in, truck self levels and maintains level through entire towing trip...The rear cargo camera looks down on the hitch and makes it even easier to hook up to one's 5er...

This truck is a towing beast..2 stage EB is great..refined enough to want to use as a daily drive or just drive around, tough enough for heavy towing...

Still uses the less problematic CP3 HPFP...

Pro's and Con's to all of them...Don't think you could go wrong with any 3500 Dually the Big Three offer..Never owned a Ram till 2010...never wanted one...now I'm sold on them.

Jim
B&W RVK 3600 hitch
USAF Viet Nam Vet
NC Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:16 AM   #6

This may be interesting for you to watch. It's a side by side comparison of the trucks you are looking at towing a similar 5ver.

2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin and Beth View Post
Looking for opinions on the new DRW 3500s. I've been driving a '02 Dodge 2500 with a 6 speed and cummins HD for 15 years now. Gen 2 5.9. Absolutely love this truck, 250k and no issues. We bought a new coach last year, Pinnacle 38 FLSA. Probably too much for the old 2500, and when we start traveling more I know it will be time to upgrade. I've been a Dodge guy, but I know nothing about the new 6.7, and the options around the big 3. What are the likes and dislikes around all 3? Lot of my friends are duramax guys. I know they are all 3 great trucks, just wanting to get real opinions from real owners and what they see in real towing situations with coaches of this size. Not trying to start a brand war, just looking for thoughts.
No thoughts on a new one, but just wanted to say that I've got a 2002 Dodge 2500 gasser, and I will keep it a while as it only has 100K miles on it (and no rust!). Bought it used with very low miles 6 years ago. Never was a Dodge guy before, but am now a fan.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 01:30 PM   #8

One thing to check is your truck bed/hitch height. I have a 2015 Ram 2500 6.4L 4 X 4 gas and when we picked up our fifth wheel we were towing 8" nose high with a Pullrite superglide. We've got that down to 4" now by flipping the axles on the fiver and raising the pin box, but still high. I have also found out that RWD only Ram's can be lowered, but not 4X4's.
Mindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 01:38 PM   #9

I was always a Ford guy until I bought my '14 Ram. I drove all 3 and liked the Ram the best. And honestly, the Ram dealership was willing deal more with the price...but that was probably due to the truck I bought being the last '14 they had on the lot. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them...I think mostly it will come down to the feel and price.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindman View Post
One thing to check is your truck bed/hitch height. I have a 2015 Ram 2500 6.4L 4 X 4 gas and when we picked up our fifth wheel we were towing 8" nose high with a Pullrite superglide. We've got that down to 4" now by flipping the axles on the fiver and raising the pin box, but still high. I have also found out that RWD only Ram's can be lowered, but not 4X4's.
As I stated with rear air assist on my truck, the bed will drop approx 1.5" to hook uo to a 5er...when you put weight on the hitch, truck automatically levels the truck...mine is a 4X4 and my TH is perfectly level. The rear air assist is a great towing tool.
B&W RVK 3600 hitch
USAF Viet Nam Vet
Old 05-14-2016, 09:35 PM   #11

I was a dodge guy for a while. I loved my 5.9 dodge, but when I went to buy anouther they just wouldn't come off the price at all. So I started looking at other brands. Now I drive a ford. I noticed the price of the dodges have gone up compaired to what they used to be when compared to the other two brands. The only 2 complaints about the dodge, is that you have to pay extra to get the upgraded torque and an equally optioned ford is less expensive (I wasn't looking at top of the line though). Makes zero sense to me, when I can go buy a ford for less and not have to get an optional trans to have the torque. The ford diesel drives like a gas engine when compared to the dodge. Hope this helps.
jws0679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jws0679 View Post
I was a dodge guy for a while. I loved my 5.9 dodge, but when I went to buy anouther they just wouldn't come off the price at all. So I started looking at other brands. Now I drive a ford. I noticed the price of the dodges have gone up compaired to what they used to be when compared to the other two brands. The only 2 complaints about the dodge, is that you have to pay extra to get the upgraded torque and an equally optioned ford is less expensive (I wasn't looking at top of the line though). Makes zero sense to me, when I can go buy a ford for less and not have to get an optional trans to have the torque. The ford diesel drives like a gas engine when compared to the dodge. Hope this helps.
I guess it's regional..My experience is/was just the opposite of your's..comparing apples to apples in trim and features..Ford's cost the most in and around the region I live in..Chevy in the middle and Ram was the cheapest in cost...I've priced and drove all three in 2010, 2013 and again this past January...again, the same results..and you could get 10K off sticker every time with the Ramwithout even negotiating .....As I stated I was a brand loyal Chevy truck fan for 35 years...Ford didn't like the color of my money I guess...always got the best deal with Chevy...Didn't go to a Dodge truck until 2010...never wanted a Ram, couldn't stand the loudness of the 5.9 , nor cared about body style of earlier models, even if cost was less.

Ram gives you a medium duty engine (the Cummins), strapped to a medium duty tranny, ( the Aisin)..I would expect to pay more..BUT, the loaded out King Ranch STILL cost more than truck in my sig, in my case...and I still have far more GCWR than the Ford, a higher RAWR and medium duty engine and tranny...in my case for less than the Ford..The Ford is running the troublesome CP4HPFP..The Ram is using the CP3..no issues.

I'm not looking for "light to light" running, I'm for reliability and longevity,,,and with 900 ft lb of TQ, towing my TH in the mountains is a piece of cake for this truck.
B&W RVK 3600 hitch
USAF Viet Nam Vet
Old 05-16-2016, 02:44 PM   #13

We got the Tradesman trim on our 14 Ram in the signature line. They made us a heck of a deal thru Costco. They were just getting in the 1/2 ton diesels and wanted the lot space. We got 2% over dealer cost for a SRW and another $5k off if I took the Dually. Ended up out the door at $39k.
This 6.7 is a beast! Just got back from Vegas with our 5ver in sig line. Came back I15 to I70. It pulled Vail, Eisenhauer and Floyd Hill at 65+mph. It never ran hot and pulled like crazy. Hand calculated mpg at 12.1 for the entire trip. Couldn't ask for better.