Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-05-2015, 08:11 PM   #1

5th Wheel Hitch Suggestions??

Since I will be "looking" at a new 5th wheel tomorrow, I need to ask for some wisdom and education. I have never towed a 5th wheel before, but have towed from the bumper since I was 16. I did use the search function above, but didn't come up with the info. I'm looking for.

My question is what are the recommended 5th wheel hitchs that you are using...specifically with my application a Ram with a Megacab. My buddy told me to get a B&W Companion and forget about everything else. From my readings and my lack of towing a 5er, I would think I need a slider?? What are the better brands and what are your suggestions?? Any help/knowledge is VERY much appreciated!!

Thank you in advance!
Dan
Old 06-05-2015, 11:10 PM   #2

I am new to this 5th wheel experience as well, never pulled one until April when we purchased our first. We have a sb Silverado so I went with the Pullrite Superglide; it slides without having to pull any additional levers. For the extra cost I have the peace of mind of not breaking a window, damaging the truck or trailer because I forgot. Trust me when I say I would forget sooner or later and the cost of repair would probable be more than I paid for the hitch. In my signature picture you can see the trailer at a 90 degree angle no problem. Good luck and enjoy!!!

Freenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:52 AM   #3

Congrats!

You will definitely need a slider. after that your next consideration would be to opt for either an automatic slider or a manual slider. Although I do not subscribe to the theory of inevitability, the automatic slider does remove the possibility of forgetting to unlock a manual slider leading to a real "oh crap" moment. If you choose an auto slider then my recommendation is a Pull-Rite either in the Superglide (under body rails) which eliminate the in box rails or the standard Pull-Rite with the in box rails. The Superglide is an expensive hitch ($3k or more).

In a manual slider then there are more options. Reese makes a popular manual slider. There has also been some discussion regarding the Anderson hitch. It is unusual but the reports seem to indicate that those who have one like it.

Understand that each of the hitches will have a compromise. For example the Pull-Rites, have a limitation on how uneven the ground is, or the angle at which the truck can be when hitching up. The manual sliders may not have that restriction but you have to remember to pull the lever.

Good luck.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:16 AM   #4

When I (thought I) needed a slider, I had the PullRite SuperGlide auto-slider and it was a great hitch. The Super Rails make it easy to recover your entire bed space when needed but plan on having a buddy or installing a hoist for removing the hitch. It's probably around 225-250 lbs installed. Tweety's had the best price and I installed the rails myself... no small task BTW. Hitch ran me about $950 and the rails another $500. If you have someone else install the rails, you're looking at somewhere between $300-500.

Moving on, when I upgraded my truck to a Ford 6.7 PSTD and a long bed, I decided to go with the B&W Companion. I can't say enough good things about this hitch! It works flawlessly and is so easy to remove that I can do it myself in about 5 mins. The hitch head separates from the base and weighs about 40 lbs, as does the base. It mounts into the Ford puck system with a simple twist of four handles that you can lock in place. Installed price was $950.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:24 AM   #5

I'm not sure about the Super Glide, but DEMCO is still made in the USA so that was my choice. I have the standard since I didn't need the slider.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:28 AM   #6

PullRite is made in the USA.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:47 AM   #7

Something to think about... Auto sliders, while they may save your bacon and be really neat, they are huge and heavy. Not only do they take up the majority of your bed but they require something like an engine block hoist to remove.

I have a manual and never use the slider function. So I'm not worried about the auto slide. It's nice to know its there if I need it though. It's also "light" weight and I can remove quickly and by myself if needed.

You'll hear people talk about how they can turn 90 degrees and whatnot, which I can too if I slide. But point is, I don't see when this is really ever necessary. I've never come close to having to turn that sharp. Not to mention travel trailers won't do that and we park them just fine so I don't know why we seem to think this is a necessary function.

Something else you may consider is a Reese revolution pin box. Especially if you have a mega cab that might be the way to go. I don't know what it requires as I don't have one but it would allow for a standard fifth wheel hitch I believe. You may want to reasearch it.

UPC
Old 06-06-2015, 06:26 AM   #8

+1 for Revolution and standard B&W companion. That is the best of both worlds and keeps it manageable in weight.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote