Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-01-2014, 03:33 PM   #1

Acura MDX and WDH - What to do?

After changing our minds more times than I can recall, we just ordered the x20e hybrid, and also ordered an Equalizer hitch and a P3 brake controller.

Our TV is a 2013 Acura MDX (5K towing capacity)

THEN we read the MDX manual: Acura does not recommend using a WDH because of its built-in TSA (Trailer Stability Assist). It does, however, suggest adding some sort of sway control . . .

Really? We had become sold on the Equalizer. What are other MDX owners doing? Hellooooo . . . Anybody?
Dual 6V Deep Cycle Interstate Batteries
giddyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:42 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

I would think it will need something. That X20E will have likely close to 600 pounds TW as it will weigh over 4K
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:00 PM   #3

More info from MDX manual:

Weight Distributing Hitch: A weight distributing hitch is not recommended for use with your vehicle, as an improperly adjusted
weight distributing hitch may reduce handling, stability, and braking
performance.

Your vehicle is equipped with trailer stability assist function. This function works on the same sensors as the vehicle stability assist (VSA) system. This function helps to stabilize the vehicle/trailer combination when the trailer severely sways or oscillates.

If the function detects vehicle/ trailer instability, it checks if the swaying is caused by the trailer, and if the trailer swaying or oscillation is increasing. The vehicle/trailer combination is more affected by crosswinds, buffeting, and improper tongue load. These conditions can make the trailer unstable, and cause it to sway. stability assist begins to stabilize the vehicle/trailer combination by reducing the vehicle speed. The control unit sends signals to selectively apply the brakes and regulate the engine output. The brake lights of your vehicle will be turned on automatically by the system even if you do not keep the pressure on the brake pedal. When the brakes are applied, the trailer's
brake lights come on along with the vehicle brake lights. When the trailer stability assist activates, you will see the VSA system indicator blink. Trailer stability assist cannot prevent a loss of control. Always reduce the vehicle speed and steer firmly. Do not brake suddenly or make quick steering motion. It could cause the trailer to jackknife or turn over and the system becomes ineffective. Trailer stability assist cannot prevent swaying that can occur in crosswinds and in normal and emergency driving maneuvers. It helps only to stabilize the vehicle/trailer combination in these conditions, after the oscillation becomes severe. Trailer stability assist will also be ineffective while driving at high speed or towing a trailer with a high center of gravity.

Does anyone have experience with this device? Is it a good idea to override the system and go ahead with the Equalizer?
Old 09-01-2014, 06:03 PM   #4

Sorry for being so long winded, but our MDX manual also says:

Sway Control
This device is recommended if your
trailer tends to sway. Your trailer
maker can tell you what kind of sway
control you need and how to install it.

What is the manual suggesting that we do? Is it safe to override the VSA and continue with the Equalizer? or . . . ?

What would you do?
Old 09-01-2014, 06:48 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Like I said above, I do not believe you will have a choice. Once you hook on to that big a trailer loaded ready to camp I think your TV is going to squat and your front end is going to lift up considerably. A WDH is the only way to correct that.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:07 PM   #6

I'll be honest here... I haven't seen an MDX tow much more than a couple of jetskis.

If they do not recommend a WDH, then they likely don't want you towing a trailer larger than a pop-up with it. The X20E is 3700# dry, with 370# on the hitch. You'll need to distribute that somehow.

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:28 PM   #7

I don't see how a WDH would make the situation worse. Just make sure you don't exceed the max tongue weight for the factory receiver. YMMV.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:12 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

The 2013 Acura MDX has the Uni-body design, which IMO is the underlying reason for Acura "not recommending" the use of a WDH.

Does your Acura MDX owners manual have any reference to a maximum trailer tongue weight limit? I thought the MDX had a maximum 450lb (maybe 500lb) trailer tongue weight limit (?).

Also, don't forget that the published MDX 5,000lb tow rating decreases by the weight of passengers, cargo, etc..

As far as a sway control device, any trailer has the potential for a sway event...., so a sway control device should be utilized with the VSA system.

Based on the Acura information presented, I wouldn't use a WDH, which IMO may rule out the X20E under loaded conditions.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:57 AM   #9

Thanks to all of you for trying to help. I don't know what we would do without the feedback from forum users.

We expect the TT to be about 3,900# because our only upgrade is the television. MDX has 5,000# tow capacity with 500# max. tongue load. The TT has a factory installed Class IV hitch (with wiring harness; tran cooler, etc.) Does this suggest that it might have been intended to tow something more than a jetski? Or am I missing the point here?

Obviously, we never really intended to test that MDX tow package until I made the tactical error of going to a big RV show and falling in love with the Jayco Hybrid.

I can see that we might be cutting it close on weight but we don't need to carry much as we are used to camping (way) light. If the tongue weight is only 400#, we will have room for ourselves, the dog and 450 - 650 pounds of "stuff". Anyway you look at it, the MDX will need to be replaced in the next year or so and at the rate we are going, we will still be trying to figure out how to hook it up and drag it out of storage.

At this point, I am inclined to stay with the x20e because the Big Guy likes the slide and I wanted to stay away from the extra length of the x23b. We can load it up and then weigh it. If the weight(s) are higher than we hoped, we can switch out the MDX sooner rather than later.

I also sent an email to and left a message for Equalizer about the WDH questions and will re-post what I learn there. I think that the person who commented on the uni-body construction may have been right.

All that said, if I am missing the boat here, please speak up.

In closing, the Big Guy was definitely correct - Those darned RV shows can become mighty expensive.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:14 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by giddyup View Post
snip....... The TT has a factory installed Class IV hitch (with wiring harness; tran cooler, etc.) Does this suggest that it might have been intended to tow something more than a jet ski? .......snip
The Class IV hitch is rated up to 10,000 pounds towing capacity, 600 to 1,000 pounds tongue weight...., but not all Class IV hitches are rated for both Weight Carrying (WC) and Weight Distribution (WD). In your MDX's case the vehicle's 500lb tongue weight limit is the trump card over your Class IV hitch's rated capability.

The MDX's specified 500lb tongue weight maximum 'suggests' to me that the vehicle's OEM Class IV hitch was intended to be used in a Weight Carrying mode, not Weight Distribution with a WDH.

I agree, the best you can do with the X20E is confirm all your loaded weights and stay within your specified weight limits.

No, your not missing the boat..., your asking all the right questions.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 09-02-2014, 05:05 AM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
The 2013 Acura MDX has the Uni-body design, which IMO is the underlying reason for Acura "not recommending" the use of a WDH.

Bob
Most vehicles on the road today are Unibody and most have no issue with using a WDH. Unsure why you think a unibody can't have a WDH.
MY toyota works great with my Equalizer
Old 09-02-2014, 10:19 AM   #12

Quote:
The Class IV hitch is rated up to 10,000 pounds towing capacity, 600 to 1,000 pounds tongue weight...., but not all Class IV hitches are rated for both Weight Carrying (WC) and Weight Distribution (WD). In your MDX's case the vehicle's 500lb tongue weight limit is the trump card over your Class IV hitch's rated capability.

The MDX's specified 500lb tongue weight maximum 'suggests' to me that the vehicle's OEM Class IV hitch was intended to be used in a Weight Carrying mode, not Weight Distribution with a WDH.

I agree, the best you can do with the X20E is confirm all your loaded weights and stay within your specified weight limits.

No, your not missing the boat..., your asking all the right questions.

Bob
Thanks for your input. That is a strange disconnect that you point out between the Class IV hitch and the 500# max tongue load.

The Big Guy gave up months ago and is just waiting for me to give him the "all clear", and I am getting worn out. Those two jetski's are beginning to look good.

Will still talk to Equalizer to see if they can shed some light on this. Even our dealer is confused.

Geesh.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:55 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
Most vehicles on the road today are Unibody and most have no issue with using a WDH. Unsure why you think a unibody can't have a WDH. MY toyota works great with my Equalizer
Not all unibody's are created equal, because vehicle unibody design platforms vary. The WDH is designed to transfer weight via force leveraging a vehicle's receiver hitch attached to the vehicle 'frame'...., unlike the conventional full "body-on-frame" constructed vehicle the "unibody" construction reacts differently to this forced WDH leveraging. To-date, many auto manufactures (where applicable) do not recommend the use of a WDH with specific unibody vehicle platforms.

Yes, WDH manufactures have brought "lite-duty" WDH products to the market, but when utilized the importance of proper application/adjustment is critical.

I believe Toyota still manufactures the most conventional full "body-on-frame" platforms in their SUV product line-up...., but in the case of the Tundra pickup it's robust hybrid construction is "similar" in design to that of a conventional full body-on-frame design except it's sectioned, I've heard it described as a hybrid unibody-on-frame.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 09-02-2014, 12:02 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip..... That is a strange disconnect that you point out between the Class IV hitch and the 500# max tongue load....snip
Not sure if I'm interpreting the use of the term "disconnect" correctly...., but my intent was to project that in most towing applications a tongue weight less then 500lbs doesn't require the use of a WDH, and/or a receiver hitch with a WD mode.

It's not uncommon for a vehicle manufacture to incorporate a OEM receiver hitch that is rated higher then the same vehicle's towing related specifications.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 09-02-2014, 12:13 PM   #15
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
The WDH is designed to transfer weight via force leveraging a vehicle's receiver hitch attached to the vehicle 'frame'...., unlike the conventional full "body-on-frame" constructed vehicle the "unibody" construction reacts differently to this forced WDH leveraging.

Bob
I have never heard of it reacting differently. I have searched endlessly without finding anything. Is there a report you have found.
What are they saying that there could be a failure in the unibody using a WDH?
Old 09-02-2014, 01:04 PM   #16

350lb base tongue weight + 40lbs propane + 50lbs dealer-installed battery + 80lbs Equal-I-Zer hitch and you're looking at over 500lbs on the hitch -- with a WDH, some of it will get transferred off the tongue, but as you can see the base tongue weight is pretty misleading. Plus note anything you carry in cargo area of the MDX behind the drive wheels, and anything you carry in the forward area of your HTT will count toward your tongue weight. So...I really can't comment on whether you should use a WDH on your MDX, but as you can see, without a WDH (and possibly even with one depending on how you're loaded), you may be over the tongue weight limit of the MDX already. Not trying to scare you, but I'd say pack lightly, take short, close-to-home trips, and enjoy what you have. You can then venture farther or upgrade the tow vehicle down the road as you get more comfortable (or uncomfortable) with your setup. Good luck!
kvangil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:53 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
snip......What are they saying that there could be a failure in the unibody using a WDH?
I haven't seen any reference to a "failure", so I think the question would be better addressed by the auto manufactures that recommend not using (or not to use) a WDH on "specific" unibody vehicles.

To avoid totally hijacking "giddyup's" thread, I refer you to lurk around the different independent vehicle brand forums, the discussions surrounding the use of a WDH on unibody vehicles are plentiful. I check them out periodically for user information on towing subject matter.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 09-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #18

Quote:
I haven't seen any reference to a "failure", so I think the question would be better addressed by the auto manufactures that recommend not using (or not to use) a WDH on "specific" unibody vehicles.

To avoid totally hijacking "giddyup's" thread, I refer you to lurk around the different independent vehicle brand forums, the discussions surrounding the use of a WDH on unibody vehicles are plentiful. I check them out periodically for user information on towing subject matter.

Bob
To all the "helpers" who are still hanging in there:

Today, I spoke with Equalizer; Husky; Richardson's RV; and my Acura dealer.

First off: the 2013 MDX Acura MDX's unit-body was engineered with Honda's Advanced Compatibility Engineering (ACE) body structure designed to absorb energy from a collision.

If you click thru - it is basically a unibody construction.

The factory supplied Travel Stability Assistance (TSA) senses when swaying occurs and automatically applies (and releases) the brakes.

Some hitches do their work if/when swaying commences.

Equalizers prevent the swaying, so if it is properly installed and used, that TSA would never kick in. Because of this, many Acura / Pilot owners go for the Equalizer and I have no feedback on how that works.

As of now, I have no info other than from the above messages as to the Unitbody/Unibody issue. Will try Acura again tomorrow and will post what I find.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvangil View Post
350lb base tongue weight + 40lbs propane + 50lbs dealer-installed battery + 80lbs Equal-I-Zer hitch and you're looking at over 500lbs on the hitch -- with a WDH, some of it will get transferred off the tongue, but as you can see the base tongue weight is pretty misleading. Plus note anything you carry in cargo area of the MDX behind the drive wheels, and anything you carry in the forward area of your HTT will count toward your tongue weight. So...I really can't comment on whether you should use a WDH on your MDX, but as you can see, without a WDH (and possibly even with one depending on how you're loaded), you may be over the tongue weight limit of the MDX already. Not trying to scare you, but I'd say pack lightly, take short, close-to-home trips, and enjoy what you have. You can then venture farther or upgrade the tow vehicle down the road as you get more comfortable (or uncomfortable) with your setup. Good luck!
Good advice and exactly our thinking. I will have fun even if I never leave town.

But, now, I am curious as to the WDH. See post below. Did some more research.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:03 PM   #20

Quote:
To all the "helpers" who are still hanging in there:

Today, I spoke with Equalizer; Husky; Richardson's RV; and my Acura dealer.

First off: the 2013 MDX Acura MDX's unit-body was engineered with Honda's Advanced Compatibility Engineering (ACE) body structure designed to absorb energy from a collision.

If you click thru - it is basically a unibody construction.

The factory supplied Travel Stability Assistance (TSA) senses when swaying occurs and automatically applies (and releases) the brakes.

Some hitches do their work if/when swaying commences.

Equalizers prevent the swaying, so if it is properly installed and used, that TSA would never kick in. Because of this, many Acura / Pilot owners go for the Equalizer and I have no feedback on how that works.

As of now, I have no info other than from the above messages as to the Unitbody/Unibody issue. Will try Acura again tomorrow and will post what I find.
Sounds like the "TSA" feature is more around sway control. This is common with tow packages (for example, see this on the F150 - ).

The WDH will NOT provide sway control, unless you get something like a dual cam setup (which does weight-distribution + sway).

Sounds like you're doing the proper research by contacting the vehicle manufacturer. Provide the details on the trailer that you are wishing to tow and ask them if they recommend that you tow it with the MDX. You might get a very different answer than from the RV dealer

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote