Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-12-2015, 01:53 AM   #1

Adjust weight distribution

I recently traded my 13 Silverado 1500 for a 15 Silverado 2500. I took today to adjust the weight distribution system.The system I have is the eaz lift with 1200 pound round bars.I also have 2 eaz lift brand friction type sway controls.Here are the numbers I came up with while adjusting the hitch,I also set my bubble level on the trailer floor after adjusting and it is reading perfect front to rear.The numbers are from the ground to the top of my wheel wells.Do the numbers look good or should I do some more adjusting.Also this was done in a dirt driveway so the numbers may be off alittle from the ground not being perfect.

Before coupling
Front:39 11/16
Rise:42 15/16

After coupling
Front:40
Rear:41 1/4

After adding weight distribution bars(2 link not under tension)
Front:39 11/16
Rear:41 11/16

After Head angle adjustment(1 link not under tension)
Front:39 9/16
Rear:41 15/16
WrenZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:06 AM   #2

I'm new to WDH usage. My understanding of the setup process may be flawed and there are plenty of other with much more experience. But here goes...

From what I've read and managed to accomplish, keeping the ride height on the front axle exactly the same unhitched vs. ready to roll is the goal of the WDH. The rear has to squat somewhat as there still needs to be some tongue weight. The trailer should be level at that time.

So, according to your notes, the '2 links unused' setting best matches the goals I've read about.

I will say that the instructions I've read refer to the number of links under tension.

How does it handle on the road?

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:22 AM   #3

If possible the final decision should be done on a scale. You need 10 to 15 percent of the trailer weight on the hitch. Also you may want to call the mfgs tec support. I find they can be quite helpful. I have a Blue Ox and they went out of their way to help me set it up correctly. Good luck.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:47 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

WrenZ71,

Your final adjustment looks fine based on your information..., although a hard/level surface would be ideal for taking measurements. I also assume that your round spring bars are parallel (slight angle ok) to the TT's A-frame when engaged.

As mentioned, a trip to the CAT scale will allow you to confirm, and/or dial-in your WDH adjustments.

CAT Scale how-to: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...v-tt-3871.html

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
I'm new to WDH usage. My understanding of the setup process may be flawed and there are plenty of other with much more experience. But here goes...

From what I've read and managed to accomplish, keeping the ride height on the front axle exactly the same unhitched vs. ready to roll is the goal of the WDH. The rear has to squat somewhat as there still needs to be some tongue weight. The trailer should be level at that time.

So, according to your notes, the '2 links unused' setting best matches the goals I've read about.

I will say that the instructions I've read refer to the number of links under tension.

How does it handle on the road?
The 2 links unused (6 under tension)seemed to be the best setting,but the bar were angled up.Once I adjusted the head angle to level out the bars one 1 link unused (7 under tension) was the most I could get on.

As far as road test,DW was sick yesterday so it will have to wait till next weekend.There is a real nasty grade around the corner I want to give it a try on to see how it will do in the mountains.Then to the dump station to flush my tanks.Last time out I dumped but didn't get to flush as good as I liked.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
WrenZ71,

Your final adjustment looks fine based on your information..., although a hard/level surface would be ideal for taking measurements. I also assume that your round spring bars are parallel (slight angle ok) to the TT's A-frame when engaged.

As mentioned, a trip to the CAT scale will allow you to confirm, and/or dial-in your WDH adjustments.

CAT Scale how-to: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...v-tt-3871.html

Bob
Thanks,I'll need to get it trip ready and find a scale to try and dial it in.