Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2016, 05:14 PM   #1

Advice on my TV and TT of choice

We have a '99 F-150 4.6L 3.55. We may be getting a 2016 26BH.

I wouldn't consider a TT this size except it's new and dealer stock with the Elite, Thermal, TV, Electronic Sway Command Control, Electric Stabilizer Jacks, Aluminum Rims, Chill 'N Stor, Bumper Mount Outside Grill, & Roof Ladder.

They've discounted this to sell being a '16 and this fits what we're looking for our family of 5. No slide and bunks.

Now I understand my setup will struggle at times. We are coming from a PUP so we've learned to pack light. I typically take an EZ Up and 4 bag chairs. Having the secondary fridge most likely eliminate the need for a packed cooler. I've PMed a few people here who have the same TT with a similar or even smaller vehicle so I know it'll pull. We also typically take 2 vehicles since we camp fairly close so It's typically just me pulling and the rest of the family coming a few hours later. Before anyone says I need to upgrade my truck. I just can't. It was my late father's so there is sentimental value here. It has less than 100k miles and is in pristine condition. And most important. It's paid for

Our camping style is typically one place we like to go and it's roughly 45 minutes away. No mountains. Straight up the interstate. The other place we like to go is also 45 minutes away, but over 1 mountain. Not too bad here in VA. If anyone is familiar with the area its the mountain on Rt. 130 going to Lynchburg. Moving to a TT we'd like to pull to Tennessee (Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area). And maybe Virginia Beach. This is all interstate travel for us with no mountain climbing except Afton Mountain going to VA Beach.

I see people posting about CAT Scales. I have 2 near me. I'd like to give this a whirl. What exactly am I looking for if I go? Should I go with and/or without the TT? Thanks again for everyone's help here.
kantonburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:03 PM   #2

Well I don't know what the tongue weight of the trailer is but I would say I have pulled more with less and as long as its set up right with brakes and wdh it should be fine if you take it easy
Old 06-27-2016, 07:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintinfool3 View Post
Well I don't know what the tongue weight of the trailer is but I would say I have pulled more with less and as long as its set up right with brakes and wdh it should be fine if you take it easy
Jayco's website lists it at 475lbs.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:18 PM   #4

I would say you would be fine .... of course I am not one of the people who uses the scales but I go by what I feel comfortable towing. I do think there are limits to safety but I don't think you would be pushing it as long as the truck is in good mechanical shape
Old 06-27-2016, 07:48 PM   #5

I offered you my opinion in your other thread on this subject and that opinion was based on very similar pup's and TT. But being your F150 has "sentimental value"
and you seem to have your mind made up I won't offer the same advice again. However I will say to you that even if you say "we've learned to pack light" I will say that will change as you will be able to pack more and make things more comfortable than with a pup. The TT you are considering is very close to the gross weight of what the TV is rated for. I don't know your towing experience but will you be comfortable towing the new TT with a 4.6 engine. Only you can determine that.

As far as CAT Scales read the attached link
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...html#post24549

As you said some say you can and some say no I am not saying you can't tow it But there is no way I would and again that is based on towing similar TT's and pup's

If you look at my current TV and TT you will see that the ratings of both as far as gross leaves a very good safety margin. And my feelings are to be safe not sorry and to end up being someone's else sentimental memory.

Again just my honest opinion But you do whats best for you and I will wish you all the best
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:04 PM   #6

My motto is and always has been better safe than sorry. My TT weighs in at around 4500 lb and even at that I know I probably have overkill with regards to TV and setup. I tow with a 2001 F250 long bed crew cab and use a Fastway 2 setup that is WDH and double anti-sway built into one unit. Towing my TT and my previous TT which weighed about 3800 lb with our previous 1/2 Ton, I always felt the TT was in control of the TV and didn't like that feeling. I only tow around 65 mph max...and usually stay around 60 in case of a tire blowout or cross winds. I say do makes you comfortable, but I would keep the sentimental truck and find a better TV.
Roosevelt008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedrck46 View Post
I offered you my opinion in your other thread on this subject and that opinion was based on very similar pup's and TT. But being your F150 has "sentimental value"
and you seem to have your mind made up I won't offer the same advice again. However I will say to you that even if you say "we've learned to pack light" I will say that will change as you will be able to pack more and make things more comfortable than with a pup. The TT you are considering is very close to the gross weight of what the TV is rated for. I don't know your towing experience but will you be comfortable towing the new TT with a 4.6 engine. Only you can determine that.

As far as CAT Scales read the attached link
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...html#post24549

As you said some say you can and some say no I am not saying you can't tow it But there is no way I would and again that is based on towing similar TT's and pup's

If you look at my current TV and TT you will see that the ratings of both as far as gross leaves a very good safety margin. And my feelings are to be safe not sorry and to end up being someone's else sentimental memory.

Again just my honest opinion But you do whats best for you and I will wish you all the best
I appreciate the advice. I still haven't made my mind up. Safety is obviously the issue. This is the frustrating part of the process. The numbers all say I'm within my limit, maybe close, but it all works out. Then you have one side telling you yep you're good and those are typically who are in my situation with a regular 1/2 ton vehicle. The other side is telling you no way. There is never any gray area in all the research I've done.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosevelt008 View Post
My motto is and always has been better safe than sorry. My TT weighs in at around 4500 lb and even at that I know I probably have overkill with regards to TV and setup. I tow with a 2001 F250 long bed crew cab and use a Fastway 2 setup that is WDH and double anti-sway built into one unit. Towing my TT and my previous TT which weighed about 3800 lb with our previous 1/2 Ton, I always felt the TT was in control of the TV and didn't like that feeling. I only tow around 65 mph max...and usually stay around 60 in case of a tire blowout or cross winds. I say do makes you comfortable, but I would keep the sentimental truck and find a better TV.
That's ultimately my plan. I don't need anything new to tow with. I have 2 kids 2 years from driving age anyway.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:34 PM   #9

One thing I have learned about asking for advice and getting replies from those that say Yes do it and those that say No don't do it. Most people want to hear what they want to do. so if your thought are to do it then you will listen to those that say yes because they confirm what you want to do. But also keep this in mind Just because the want to jump off the bridge and say its safe Is that what you want to do.

I agree with what Roosevelt008 posted "better safe than sorry" keep the 150 and look for a better TV.

It is far better to be overpowered than to be close to the max ratings.
And just because Ford says a TV is rated to tow a certain weight and most likely it can but there is a big difference towing a flatbed trailer at 6000 lbs as compared to a TT that is the same weight.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:31 PM   #10

We were in same situation with a Ford Expedition w/ heavy duty tow. Numbers on paper worked but I knew it was close. Bought our desired tt (2nd choice actually because first's weight made me too nervous.) Pulled it all of 2 times and I knew we needed a 3/4 ton. Now that we have the larger TV we are super comfortable with set up. Ask yourself if you are willing to buy a TV if it doesn't work well with current one and that tt. If the answer is no then I would find a lighter tt.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:55 AM   #11

need a test drive

I think what you really need to do is figure out a way to take the thing for a test drive. You should hook it up and go to the site with the mountain. See what you think and make your decision based on that.
jdrumsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantonburg View Post
Jayco's website lists it at 475lbs.
At a minimum you will need to add battery and LP Weight to this figure. Conservatively that's 40# for battery and 100# for LP, which puts you over 600# tongue weight.

Whe I had a 26BH we easily had 750# + tongue weight, don't forget the WD Hitch is also tounge weight. For us the front pass through collected a fair amount of gear which also attributed to my tongue weight.

We towed our 26BH with both a Tahoe and Silverado, both were 5.3l 3:73 4-speeds. On flat ground it was no issue, but I hated the combination in the hills.

My personal opinion is I would not like the combination your are considering.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantonburg View Post
I appreciate the advice. I still haven't made my mind up. Safety is obviously the issue. This is the frustrating part of the process. The numbers all say I'm within my limit, maybe close, but it all works out. Then you have one side telling you yep you're good and those are typically who are in my situation with a regular 1/2 ton vehicle. The other side is telling you no way. There is never any gray area in all the research I've done.
I went through this too. Different truck, different trailer, but basically the same concept. I was good on paper, and I thought that was good enough. Turns out, for me it wasn't. I also had some other circumstances thrown into the mix; when we first started, it was just me, DW and the wonder mutt. At that point, we were good on paper, weights were right under the max, and most of our towing was okay. Hills were a bit of a chore, and the truck seemed to struggle much of the time, but I wasn't worried about breaking stuff, and IMO we were pretty safe with our setup. I would say it wasn't optimal, but we made it work.

Then we got pregnant, and that changed everything. I knew weights would increase, and I wanted to be comfortable, so we upgraded our truck. It hurt a bit because I loved my old truck, and it cost a bit of money to make it work. But it was worth it, and I love my new truck every bit as much as I loved my old truck! LOL!

Anyway, my point is that just because it's good on paper, doesn't mean it works to your liking when you're hurtling down the road. If you go with your currently considered setup, and that ends up being right at your maximums, just make sure your expectations are in line. Don't expect it to be a one finger on the wheel, laid back, relaxing tow experience. It MIGHT be that way, but probably not. Just know that you're going to have to be diligent about your setup and your weights. And above all, make sure you're safe out there. Which is to say, make sure that you have good quality equipment, rated and adjusted properly, and that it is meticulously maintained to stay in top working order.

I think under the right circumstances it can be done, and done safely, but it will take some effort on your part.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:59 PM   #14

Just so everyone knows I've decided against the 26BH. The base weight was just too much and after looking at the factory sticker with all the options the one we were considering was 5100 and change so that was definitely a no go.

I appreciate everyone's advice and we've decided to look at a smaller camper that still fits our needs. Just trying to find one up until this point has been the challenge.