Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-29-2011, 11:59 AM   #11
I would never mess with a gas engine as far as programers go. Only adding more displacement will help with gas as their touque is made at higher RPMs.

With a diesel you can mess with fuel and timing and see a real difference without harming the engine. You must have gauges to closely monitor what is going on. The engine I am most familiar with the Cummins is a good example of upgrades for power. 1998 5.9 24 valve engine had 215 horse and around 400 lbs of torque. That same engine in 2007 made 320 hp and 600 lbs of troque. The older engines can be brought up to the newer power levels with a programer. It will not affect the longevity of the engine.

You can add LOTS of power like 500hp and 900 lbs of torque but the result is a lot of problems usually starting with the clutch or automatic transmission. Blown head gaskets and engine failures are common.

In the end it all depends on how full your pockets are and do you want to work on your truck or drive it.

2011 Eagle 330RLTS with just about every option.
Dodge SRW 1 ton Cummins powered.

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:34 PM   #12
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
I appreciate the feedback and pretty well knew what to expect when I posted the question. Someone always has a gimmick to sell. From reading here the mileage I am getting is not that out of the norm. For the miles I drive I can not make the cost of a deisel work for me. I would have to drive about 200K miles to make a break even. The truck may make it that many miles but I have doubts if I would. Thanks for your thoughts.
You make up for the cost of a diesel when you look at the blue book a few year later lol.

DieselX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:45 PM   #13
I hand calculated mine (avg several weeks each) before and after installing my programer and saw a 2 MPG increase after installed. It was hard ( to control urges ) but kept the same driving habits before and after. I avg 10-11 towing and 16-17 daily driving. I knew how much my wife was planning on spending for xmas in 2010 so that was my xmas present, the money was gonna get spent anyways so figured to get something usefull. I believe changing the converter lock points also helps in MPG gain.

2011 Jayco Jay Flight Swift 264BH
2008 XLT SCab 5.4L, FF, 4X4, 3.55 LS, Gotts Mod w/Drop in K&N, Holley Hooker Aerochamber Muffler, Edge Evolution, Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller,33.5" Nitto Terra Grapplers.
NACSKINS is offline   Reply With Quote