Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-08-2015, 09:40 AM   #21
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ustabslim View Post
I have had overload springs and air bags. I loved the air bags and if installed properly leak no worse than a tire. I'm able to firm up for loads and soften up when unloaded and it serves as a leveling devise as well.
Glad you mentioned air pressure consistency and comparing it to a tire. I have not seen any remarks or reviews yet with that in mind so glad you brought it up. I realize most bags are made of heavy duty material and should stand up to normal towing of a TT but also good to realize the need to check air pressure just as you would on vehicle and trailer tires. I realize there are $$ involved but found one of the manufacturers that have an automatic psi check system that keeps air pressure where you want it with out any human intervention.
Equalizer 4 10K Hitch System
P2 Brake Controller
Full Timer Wanna-be's
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:00 AM   #22

I have the Firestone airbags. Run them around 10lbs empty and 20lbs when hooked up. The leak rate on mine is about 2lbs every 6 months, so no issue. $350 installed. Only caution with bags is you shouldn't run them totally deflated.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:25 AM   #23
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboocreek View Post
I have the Firestone airbags. Run them around 10lbs empty and 20lbs when hooked up. The leak rate on mine is about 2lbs every 6 months, so no issue. $350 installed. Only caution with bags is you shouldn't run them totally deflated.
Thanks for the feedback... The only reason I am even looking at bags is that my 2006 Ford Expedition rear end suspension is still too soft when I have the TT hooked up. I just installed the Equalizer hitch system to help eliminate most of my sway issues. However, my tow vehicle rear end is still not very level with the front end so air bags should significantly help with that issue as well as supplement sway control.
P2 Brake Controller
Full Timer Wanna-be's
Old 02-08-2015, 10:30 AM   #24
Jim

Appreciate everyone's feedback and advice and so that I don't overthink this (which I can tend to do) looks like I just need to set down with the dealer and determine which system will work the best and select one I can afford $$ as a few other have mentioned. I'll drop back to this thread after I get something installed and give some feedback as to how it is working for me.
P2 Brake Controller
Full Timer Wanna-be's
Old 02-08-2015, 02:24 PM   #25

Ran a set of Firestone Ride-Rite air bags on my old motorhome for 10 years with no problems.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 03:29 PM   #26

Jim;

If you run bags then you need to understand how they work with a friction bar WD. You can't just hitch up the TT and then level the Expy with the bags. That will take weight off the bars which will then lose their effectiveness. If you can't transfer enough weight back to the front of the Expy with the WD then the bars are undersized, you need heavier ones, or you don't have enough tilt in the WD head. 6-7 washers should be enough to get the most out of the bars at the proper weight sizing. Have you ever weighed your setup? Your TW could be near 900lbs. You would need 1200lb maybe even 1400lbs bars to transfer the weight on a softly sprung Expy. Have you measured the front of the Expy to see how much you're actually returning? The front should be 50-100% back from the original unhitched measurement.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:30 PM   #27

Good info goducks. I was also curious how adding air bags to a properly set WDH would affect the function of them.I wanted to add a set to my truck also for longer trips when I load up firewood and coolers since it drops the back end down a little more than I like.But I don't wanna have to reset the hitch set up again.

2015 Jayco Eagle Premier 314BHDS

IBEW local 94 Electrical Worker
314BHDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:52 PM   #28

I had bags on our an 08 F150 when we had our 1st TT. What I did was measure the trucks rear fender well unloaded. Then load the rear of the truck with all our camping stuff. Probably 4-500lbs. Then I aired up the bags to return the rear to it's original hgt. Then hitch up the TT and set the WD bars as normal. Road like a caddy.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote