Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-06-2017, 07:28 PM   #1

Air Lift and other ?'s

Hi everyone, I recently purchased a new TT (Whitehawk 31RKLS) and quickly realized that I need to look at suspension enhancements...and a higher rated WDH.

For suspension enhancements I've been looking at Air Lifts. When I asked etrailer I got a response that, of course, had me asking more questions. I figured I would ask here since there are a lot of experienced folks on this board.

If I install Air Lifts https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Sus...t/AL57284.html Do I need to install any additional enhancements such as the following:

- SuperSprings https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Sus...ngs/SSA28.html
- Roadmaster Active Suspension https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Sus...RAS3611-Y.html

As for the WDH, I asked etrailer about the Equalizer WDH and they recommended the (https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...EQ37140ET.html) 1400 version as my tongue weight goes from 1150 to 1250 depending on load. While the specs show the Equalizer 1400 may be too much they say that the 1400 lbs tw would be best. After reading a lot of topics on this - some say go for the extra rating and others say the higher version would be too stiff? Should I just go for the 1400lb tongue rating?
Drolaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:38 AM   #2

Air Lift and other ?'s

If you install air bags, you do not need the RAS or super springs. Each of those are different solutions to the same problem. I don't think you could install RAS with bags.
I'd get the 1400 bars is your TW is over 1200. Jmho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:47 AM   #3

I concur with magnolia tom. I installed air bags on mine and it helps with leveling and suspension stiffening, dont need both. I would go 1400 on hitch as you can always link it down to suit your needs but i was undersold on my hitch at dealer and ended up having to go heavier which doubles cost and leaves you with a used hitch to try to sell
Old 06-07-2017, 08:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintinfool3 View Post
I concur with magnolia tom. I installed air bags on mine and it helps with leveling and suspension stiffening, dont need both. I would go 1400 on hitch as you can always link it down to suit your needs but i was undersold on my hitch at dealer and ended up having to go heavier which doubles cost and leaves you with a used hitch to try to sell
x3
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:36 AM   #5

Thanks everyone for the responses. There is much to learn and some of it is overwhelming for newbies like myself. I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing when it comes to safety and of course, the performance of my vehicle.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:29 AM   #6
Lost in the Woods

No need for RAS or supersprings in addition to airbags.

For simplicity, I opted for the system without the on-board compressor etc. and just ran airlines to rear bumper to replace license plate screws. Just about any portable compressor will work to air them up as they are low volume and most people air them up to between 25 and 45 psi for the rear axle on a TV.

If you search this forum and others (even the e-trailers site) there is some debate on how or even whether air-bags should be used in conjunction with a WD hitch. If you follow the WD directions and then level TV with the airbags you will defeat the purpose of the WD and probably put some additional stress on your TT and TV frames where you do not need it. I hook up my WD hitch as per instructions and then inflate airbags just until they start to lift (35 psi on my setup) so the bags provide extra support to the TV shocks, firm up the ride so I don't hit the bumpstops on pot holes etc. and add stability without lifting the rear of the TV.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:29 PM   #7

I installed airbags this spring as I think my leaf springs are getting week from old age, My TV almost always is used under a load.

I purchased a Tee, and have one fill port and the bags self balance. I drilled a hole into the mount that holds my female 7 pin connector, that is where my single fill port is located.

I have been playing around with pressures each trip. So far 35 psi, seems just about right.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 03:23 PM   #8
bap

Drolaw, what is your tow vehicle?
Old 06-07-2017, 05:59 PM   #9

I installed airlift 5k in my new F250 and think I may have jumped the gun a bit. I had no real issues but wanted the ability to simply level the rear end a bit. I had the RAS in my F150 with just an equalizer weight distribution hitch and was fine with that.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap View Post
Drolaw, what is your tow vehicle?
I have a 2017 F150 Screw.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post
... there is some debate on how or even whether air-bags should be used in conjunction with a WD hitch...you will defeat the purpose of the WD and probably put some additional stress on your TT and TV frames where you do not need it.
Thanks for the heads up. I didn't even think about that. I need to rethink this...lol. My main concern is to take the stress off of the TV and have a safe and smooth ride.