Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-13-2016, 02:58 PM   #21

Mainly what's your planning down the road, for ours need a 250 is okay, but if I had a big 5th wheel or a big toy hauler well maybe a 350 will be right. Only you know what's is your plan is later, the 250 can tow/haul a lot of weight, you can tow some 5th wheel setup. Good luck on whatever you go with.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:36 PM   #22

Size matters....

You don't want your truck to have feelings of inadequacy when it's at the truck wash with all the other trucks. Don't be that truck....
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:51 PM   #23

I tow my 26BH with my Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. It's pulls it perfectly.
Spur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:38 PM   #24

I pull 8000 lbs with a 2012 f250. Works very well. When looking used, I am an advocate for the certified pre owned program through Ford. The extra warranty protection is nice. I have replace a Nox sensor and trans pump under the program. Just my opinion. I would do it again. Bought the truck with only 22000 miles.
Biggest Weber fan in the world.
Bucko06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:40 PM   #25

The op was up-front about this being a personal preference and not a claim that his/her 1500 was not capable enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur View Post
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:16 PM   #26

I've an opinion and a question: firstly, a truck with 2WD is kinda like kissing your sister - you just shouldn't do that, and my question: how 'bout weighing in on the lighter (aluminum?) beds on the Fords versus the steel beds on many other trucks? The Chevy commercial notwithstanding, I read a "Truck Camper" article about the Dodge's significantly more carrying capacity BECAUSE of the sturdier, albeit heavier, steel bed.
JEFF1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:20 PM   #27

I've faced that same problem twice: wanting a dually Ford 350 - and both times I settled on a single F250. In my case it was principally settling for what was available in the used market; BUT they've both been fully up to the task (first one V10 gas, second one diesel).

However I still want a dually F450; go big or stay at home mentality.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:45 PM   #28

I went through this decision process earlier this year, and decided on the -350, gas. The only difference with the '16 -250 and -350 is in the suspension. The -350 has around 1000# additional payload in the rear, via at least one additional leafs. So the cost difference was about $1 per pound. However, I would say it was well worth the premium. I have an Eagle 314BHDS, with a tongue weight of nearly 1000#'s, which equates to around a 3000# moment at the tow hitch. I have an Equalizer hitch, and don't use any air bags, and she sits nice and level.
As others have advised, you won't regret too much truck when towing. Ever.
Good luck.
Super Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 05:13 AM   #29

The truck won't end up being a daily driver. I have a 52 mile commute one way every day. So, while I do drive the Sierra every day (and love it), I likely won't drive the 250/350 just because of the additional size in Atlanta traffic. I'll end up buying a cheap car to drive to work.

Obviously, I think my decision will probably be a 350 if I can find one in the next month or so. Right now, I'm trying to find a 12-14 with 50-60K miles on it. But they are few and far between. If I can't find one, I feel comfortable that the 250 will more than do the job and I can add air bags or something if I just really need them for some reason.

What are our future plans? I have no idea. This is our first camper. I don't THINK we'll end up with a 5th wheel any time soon. It just doesn't seem to fit us. But who knows?
andrewat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 05:42 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewat View Post
The truck won't end up being a daily driver. I have a 52 mile commute one way every day. So, while I do drive the Sierra every day (and love it), I likely won't drive the 250/350 just because of the additional size in Atlanta traffic. I'll end up buying a cheap car to drive to work.

Obviously, I think my decision will probably be a 350 if I can find one in the next month or so. Right now, I'm trying to find a 12-14 with 50-60K miles on it. But they are few and far between. If I can't find one, I feel comfortable that the 250 will more than do the job and I can add air bags or something if I just really need them for some reason.

What are our future plans? I have no idea. This is our first camper. I don't THINK we'll end up with a 5th wheel any time soon. It just doesn't seem to fit us. But who knows?
Enjoy the process of looking for a truck, and driving other people's stuff!
Super Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:37 AM   #31
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbreath View Post
The op was up-front about this being a personal preference and not a claim that his/her 1500 was not capable enough.
Don't take it personally Spur, the forum strongly discourages mention of pulling travel trailers safely with 1500/2500 TV's.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:41 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewat View Post
I dont know if it makes a difference in regards to gas/diesel or not (I am not a mechanic and not really familiar with diesels) but if it is not your daily driver would it be better to get a gas 250/350??

Maybe someone else can chime in, but I have "heard" that diesels should not sit -- "they need to be run".

With that being said, I bought a gas due to only using it to pull the trailer. It sits in the garage when not being used (up to couple of weeks at a time).

I don't want to bring up the whole "maintenance cost" comparison, but just a thought if the truck will not be a daily driver.

2009 Jayco JayFeather x23B
2007 Ford F250 5.4L 4x4 CCSB
sbpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:07 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpatterson View Post
I dont know if it makes a difference in regards to gas/diesel or not (I am not a mechanic and not really familiar with diesels) but if it is not your daily driver would it be better to get a gas 250/350??

Maybe someone else can chime in, but I have "heard" that diesels should not sit -- "they need to be run".
I am familiar with Diesels. The 'should not sit' applies to all motor vehicles. Parasitic electrical loads kill the battery, oil gradually settles leaving parts unprotected, etc.

There are some differences around stopping/restarting and when you can apply the load that are different between gas and Diesel. There used to be problems with the fuel gelling at low temperatures, but since the introduction of ultra-low-sulfur fuels, it's not an issue any more.

But for absolute power without having to bend the needle on the tach, Diesel has it all over gas!

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:46 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpatterson View Post

With that being said, I bought a gas due to only using it to pull the trailer. It sits in the garage when not being used (up to couple of weeks at a time).

I don't want to bring up the whole "maintenance cost" comparison, but just a thought if the truck will not be a daily driver.
My Duramax is not my daily driver, it sits more than its on the road.

However I simply love driving it more than my work car; so every weekend it gets driven, not necessarily driven hard but driven. For ~ 4 years this has proven to be enough to keep the fuel fresh, fluids moving and battery charged. If it was going to be parked except the handful of days one is towing the camper then maybe a diesel isn't the best option.

I find lots of reasons to use it however. The past several weekends we have been landscaping so it has hauled tons or dirt, boulders, sod, plants etc. Nothing like going to the bulk yard and putting 2 yards of soil in it and not ever being concerned about weight.

Having a 250/2500 vs 150/1500 has proved very useful around our house, besides the obvious benefit of towing up an 11% grade at 55 mph
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 03:12 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
My Duramax is not my daily driver, it sits more than its on the road.

However I simply love driving it more than my work car; so every weekend it gets driven, not necessarily driven hard but driven. For ~ 4 years this has proven to be enough to keep the fuel fresh, fluids moving and battery charged. If it was going to be parked except the handful of days one is towing the camper then maybe a diesel isn't the best option.

I find lots of reasons to use it however. The past several weekends we have been landscaping so it has hauled tons or dirt, boulders, sod, plants etc. Nothing like going to the bulk yard and putting 2 yards of soil in it and not ever being concerned about weight.

Having a 250/2500 vs 150/1500 has proved very useful around our house, besides the obvious benefit of towing up an 11% grade at 55 mph
This would be my situation too. I'd use it every weekend and pretty much anytime I drive other than back and forth to work.
andrewat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 04:40 PM   #36

I did add air bags to mine just for the sake of load leveling when I want it. mine does fine with equalizing hitch without the bags and my hitch weight is about 1300 lbs . I have had a diesel for about 8 years and it has been my daily driver and I don't mind it at all. Sitting hurts either gas or diesel for long periods
Old 10-15-2016, 08:26 AM   #37

I totally hear you. If we went into 7k (+), we would strongly consider 3/4 ton. The towing experience is so much better when you start hauling bugger units. The 1/2's can do it, but these weights enter their upper threshold, and I do not like being there. It's just me. At 7-8k, I would be seriously considering the 3/4. That's on the margin of a 1/2. It is important to consider the future. We think that we are going to stick with 1/2 ton towable - just our preference. It's all about lifestyle, budget, and maintenance. We like all of it - the trucks, the motor homes, the fivers, and the trailers. But alas, we cannot have it all.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:39 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post
Don't take it personally Spur, the forum strongly discourages mention of pulling travel trailers safely with 1500/2500 TV's.

My mistake, I apologize. It won't happen again.
Spur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:20 PM   #39

I would encourage you to compare the available payload numbers on the tire and loading information sticker on the door jamb between the 2, I was surprised at the difference between Diesel F250's and gasser F250's, that engine weight makes a difference. If I was going with the diesel, I think I would lean 350 if I could to have that number be higher as long as it didn't make you take a bath on insurance or registration fees.

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:50 AM   #40

Here's my two years of towing take on it...with your current size rig, yes the 250 will do it easily...either gas or diesel. But if you start looking at larger rigs, the tounge/pin weights add up quick. So, if you might be close to upgrading, try to find a decent 350. When going the 350 route, I'd go diesel. Your next decision will be single or dual rear end...These trailers are big and catch a lot of air, so having the correct handling for a tow vehicle is paramount. Trust me, I pulled right at my limits for 1 1/2 seasons and love my 2500 CTD and the security while pulling it provides me. Don't know if this helps any, but I hope it provides some helpful info.
Swinepartner is offline   Reply With Quote