Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2017, 08:13 PM   #1

Andersen WD hitch dialed in, but...

So I've owned this hitch for a year, and while I love its sway control, I hate its poor weight distribution. Search on "Andersen WD hitch" and you'll see my story is a common one, especially for trailers over 26 feet or so. As I installed larger tires and new equalizers today (that's a story for another thread), I knew I'd have to make adjustments to my hitch setup and so I was determined to get everything possible out of the Andersen or sell it.

The verdict? I'm keeping it, for now, anyway. Today, fully loaded for camping, I managed to get both my truck and trailer perfectly level measuring ground to frame (I had been about 1.5" nose down on the trailer before). Using two washers per urethane bushing and with 12 threads showing on the Andersen, I was also able to get my rear TV axle to 70lbs under GAWR (at one point last year I had been 370lbs over). I also did some load lightening and redistributing, getting my tongue weight down to about 910lbs (about 13% of the trailer load) from 1020lbs last autumn. So I'm under on all critical weights: tongue weight, all axles GAWR, truck and trailer GVWR, GCWR, etc.

BUT...I'm only getting about 35% FALR now and see no way to get more.The combo drove great today at a sustained 65mph on two interstates...good handling, no front end float, no getting bullied by tractor trailers, etc.. Still, it bothers me. I bought a Blue Ox SwayPro BXW1503 but I haven't unboxed it yet and may return it. Since I purchased it I became aware that Blue Ox insists you turn off your truck's electronic sway control, which can stop a major sway event cold. And the bars are much lower than I'd like. These things have me hesitating to make the switch. And towing with the Andersen again today makes me really want to hold onto it, it's so comfortable. Ah well, luxury problems, I suppose...I'll figure it out eventually. Any advice out there?
Our White Hawk photo album
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:15 PM   #2

12 threads, eh?

My SOB (some other brand) 32' trailer is probably running about in the same tongue weight as yours. I posted over on RV.NET a question about how to estimate getting it better dialed in before I hit the scales.

What I do know: at the dealer, I est. the tongue was about 725. Did the install in their lot, and roughed it in to 3 threads. Ooops, steering was pretty squirrely! A couple of miles down the road tightened it to 6. Much better and made the 60 mi. Interstate trip home, bucking a 20 mph quartering wind. Not as solid as my old fifth, but seemed OK.

After loading, tried to dial it in better. First issue - what is level for the truck? Unloaded, mine sits moderately tail up. Just put a level in the bed, and adjust to that?

After filling the trailer, I put the full weight on the ball (no chains) and found the front fender rose 3/8" from unloaded. Hitched up the chains, and cranked them down to 9 threads. That reduced the front rise to only 1/8th inch higher. Good enough, or should I go for more? At 9 threads, the bolt starts to push the socket off the nut...(I had to add extra washers, so when the chains are finger tight, the end of the bolt is just flush with the nut).

The specs:
Trailer: 32ft, 6,561 lb (642 hitch weight) w/o gas/battery. 8,495 GVWR.

Truck: 2012 F-150, 4x4, SCrew, Eco, Max Tow, HD Payload. 17" "E" Tires, 2166 payload sticker.

Bought the Andersen to keep tongue weight down, so I could later add 2 6v batteries....but if I have to seriously manage it all to baby the hitch....

Any advice on getting it better dialed in before I can make it to a scale?
Old 04-23-2017, 09:26 PM   #3

I dial in at the scales, actually. My local Pilot/Flying J is big enough for me to do a weigh, make adjustments and re-weigh, and then pull off somewhere to adjust my hitch if need be. I though I had the Andersen dialed in last autumn before weighing and decided to weigh at the end of the season as I was taking the trailer to storage. I was way over rear GAWR. Lesson learned for me...measuring tape doesn't tell enough of the story. Do you have a CAT scale nearby?
Old 04-23-2017, 09:41 PM   #4

Closest is about 25 mi. away, and it's just on the other side of the state line, so tends to be pretty busy (truckers verifying before they hit the State weigh stations, etc.) So I'd like to get it as close as I can, to minimize messing around at the CAT scale.

Are your "12 threads" my "12 threads?" - meaning when chains are finger/hand tight, do you start off with any threads showing?
Old 04-24-2017, 03:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapper View Post
Closest is about 25 mi. away, and it's just on the other side of the state line, so tends to be pretty busy (truckers verifying before they hit the State weigh stations, etc.) So I'd like to get it as close as I can, to minimize messing around at the CAT scale.

Are your "12 threads" my "12 threads?" - meaning when chains are finger/hand tight, do you start off with any threads showing?
I doubt my 12 threads are the same as yours. There will always be a little variance from setup to setup, beginning with bracket installation. When I first installed mine I made the screw ends flush with the nuts, i.e. no threads showing. I wanted the brackets as far back on the frame as possible...
Old 04-24-2017, 02:15 PM   #6

Interesting read. I am using the Andersen also. My tongue weight Is running 14-15% of my loaded trailer weight or about 900lbs. My difference is that I have the F250. The difference in measurement of the front end with the trailer attached is 3/8 inch. My Ford owners manual only requires that I return 1/2 of the difference. I returned it to 1/8 inch using 6-7 threads showing. My brackets are set at 30 inches. I have not weighed the front axle because I don't feel the need at this point. Everything is level and the TT toes great. Mikey, it sounds like you have everything dialed in and got your rear axle weight lighter. Glad to hear that. it sounds like it is doing a goood job for you.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nOZ View Post
Interesting read. I am using the Andersen also. My tongue weight Is running 14-15% of my loaded trailer weight or about 900lbs. My difference is that I have the F250. The difference in measurement of the front end with the trailer attached is 3/8 inch. My Ford owners manual only requires that I return 1/2 of the difference. I returned it to 1/8 inch using 6-7 threads showing. My brackets are set at 30 inches. I have not weighed the front axle because I don't feel the need at this point. Everything is level and the TT toes great. Mikey, it sounds like you have everything dialed in and got your rear axle weight lighter. Glad to hear that. it sounds like it is doing a goood job for you.
Thanks, I know I recommended the hitch to you and I'm glad you're enjoying it. Funny thing about the Andersen (and not something I've seen anyone else mention) is that it's a better hitch for a 3/4 ton truck if you ask me. If you weighed I bet you a nickel that you'd find you're not getting a bunch of FALR, but with the heavier truck and engine, longer wheelbase and heavier rear suspension resulting in less squat, I'm sure you're losing a much lower percentage of front axle weight than I do with a short box F150. And your rear axle has a huge GAWR of about 6,300 lbs, making level, load balancing and proper tongue weight the more critical factors, just as you've pointed out. You can dial in without compressing your urethane bushings to smithereens the way I have to...

I think a 3/4 ton is in my future, probably next year, but with my last round of Andersen adjustments I should be fine until then. Take care!
Old 04-24-2017, 02:53 PM   #8

You should try out the Blue Ox you have. I upgraded from the Anderson to the Blue Ox and find it far superior in ride quality, ease of setup and returning weight to the front axle. Can't comment on sway as I haven't experienced sway with either hitch so they are both working I guess.
You hit on my only complaint about it that the bars sit low and I have dragged them a couple times.
I have also never turned off my vehicles anti sway electronics and have never heard Blue Ox advising you to do so.

Cheers
Old 04-24-2017, 05:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post
You should try out the Blue Ox you have. I upgraded from the Anderson to the Blue Ox and find it far superior in ride quality, ease of setup and returning weight to the front axle. Can't comment on sway as I haven't experienced sway with either hitch so they are both working I guess.
You hit on my only complaint about it that the bars sit low and I have dragged them a couple times.
I have also never turned off my vehicles anti sway electronics and have never heard Blue Ox advising you to do so.

Cheers
Thanks, I may still try it, but then again I really don't feel like dragging bars. As for turning off your vehicle's anti-sway, give Blue Ox a call and they'll insist that you do so. The fact that this tidbit isn't in their owner's manual is another thing that gives me pause. That said, I'm really glad it works for you.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nOZ View Post
2nOZ - interesting. as you saw, I got 3/8 with full load too, but on my F-150 with the HD Payload. I thought that was pretty small as it was. Read about other guys with other vehicles getting inches of rise! . Getting the Andersen to get me to 1/8 also may be about right. Makes me think I may be OK...
Old 04-24-2017, 05:50 PM   #11

Quote:
2nOZ - interesting. as you saw, I got 3/8 with full load too, but on my F-150 with the HD Payload. I thought that was pretty small as it was. Read about other guys with other vehicles getting inches of rise! . Getting the Andersen to get me to 1/8 also may be about right. Makes me think I may be OK...
EcoBoost and HD payload? Man, you're living the dream. How much payload do you have left after tongue weight and family are loaded up? I've only got about 300 lbs...
Old 04-24-2017, 06:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
EcoBoost and HD payload? Man, you're living the dream. How much payload do you have left after tongue weight and family are loaded up? I've only got about 300 lbs...
Haven't been to a scale with this setup, but truck door sticker says payload is 2,166.....
Flapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Haven't been to a scale with this setup, but truck door sticker says payload is 2,166.....
That's a NICE start point, almost 450 lbs more than mine (sigh). Did you order it that way or luck out when shopping used?
Old 04-24-2017, 08:50 PM   #14

Ordered it that way - Max Tow and HD Payload. Dealer messed up, and first truck was on it's way without it, so I had to refuse it and wait for another to be built. Dealer had never heard of the option.
Towed my 2013 Jayco 26.5 RLS Fifth 14,500 miles to all three coasts from Minn. with it. But a roof tear caused delamination. All loaded up we were right at max. payload. Subsequent later Jayco fifths have gained weight, so had to go to a TT. Nobody makes a 30' fifth anymore that that truck can carry. Was going to get a White Hawk, but then saw Grand Design Imagine, which was as close to the old RLS as we could get in a TT.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Ordered it that way - Max Tow and HD Payload. Dealer messed up, and first truck was on it's way without it, so I had to refuse it and wait for another to be built. Dealer had never heard of the option.
Towed my 2013 Jayco 26.5 RLS Fifth 14,500 miles to all three coasts from Minn. with it. But a roof tear caused delamination. All loaded up we were right at max. payload. Subsequent later Jayco fifths have gained weight, so had to go to a TT. Nobody makes a 30' fifth anymore that that truck can carry. Was going to get a White Hawk, but then saw Grand Design Imagine, which was as close to the old RLS as we could get in a TT.
Nice, I saw a feature on your trailer in Trailer Life magazine last year and I was floored, it's beautiful.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:44 PM   #16

A follow up: After a longer trip fully loaded, I was two handing it all the way, and getting small amounts of sway. At the CG, I filled the water full and proceeded back. No change.
Trailer is at 7740 GVW/1076 tongue with water, 7366/872 without. Had to go to the dealer (70mi) and did the run with full water - no change. Added 20 lbs to the tires for the return to see if that would help, with also no improvement, AND had one time where the sway alert went off in the truck (yikes!) On all trips, had to cruise at 55-60. At 60+ was where I was starting to see sway, or got the alert.

BTW - at 872 tongue I was able to get the fenders back to unloaded with "8 threads". At 1076, "9.5" was as tight as I physically could go with the extended wrench I had, and the Andersen deep socket, and had 3/16 rise. So just at Ford spec.

But the wobble, semi-suck, and sway were just bad. So after lots of hand wringing and conversations on other forums, have just decided to bite the bullet and pay the big bucks for a ProPride. The Andersen weight distributing part seems to be just barely enough for heavy trailers, but for me, the "no-sway" part seems to be a pretty big fail.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:20 PM   #17

Quote:
But the wobble, semi-suck, and sway were just bad. So after lots of hand wringing and conversations on other forums, have just decided to bite the bullet and pay the big bucks for a ProPride. The Andersen weight distributing part seems to be just barely enough for heavy trailers, but for me, the "no-sway" part seems to be a pretty big fail.
Welcome to the club! You will absolutely be amazed at how much better your camper tows with the ProPride!

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:24 AM   #18

Interesting.

The best part about our Andersen hitch is the absolute elimination of sway, it's night and day between using the hitch and not.

When semis pass we don't even feel it. High winds and bad roads do not induce sway either. The sway function works absolutely wonderful for us and I wouldn't tow without it.

I keep ours adjusted to six threads showing. On our FJ the WD worked well, can't really speak to the 2500HD because we don't really even need any WD for it, but I still use it for the anti-sway function.

Our TW is only 430 lbs and loaded TT weight is 3,800 lbs so maybe that's the difference.
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:20 AM   #19

Quote:
A follow up: After a longer trip fully loaded, I was two handing it all the way, and getting small amounts of sway. At the CG, I filled the water full and proceeded back. No change.
Trailer is at 7740 GVW/1076 tongue with water, 7366/872 without. Had to go to the dealer (70mi) and did the run with full water - no change. Added 20 lbs to the tires for the return to see if that would help, with also no improvement, AND had one time where the sway alert went off in the truck (yikes!) On all trips, had to cruise at 55-60. At 60+ was where I was starting to see sway, or got the alert.

BTW - at 872 tongue I was able to get the fenders back to unloaded with "8 threads". At 1076, "9.5" was as tight as I physically could go with the extended wrench I had, and the Andersen deep socket, and had 3/16 rise. So just at Ford spec.

I've read a lot of threads here and on several other forums regarding the Andersen over the last 2-3 years. What stands out to me is that the majority of good reports are for small to medium sized trailers - usually under 750-800lbs tongue weight while the majority of poor reports are above that. Occasionally somebody does report a good experience with a larger and heavier unit, but it doesn't seem to be the norm. From a weight distribution perspective it seems to be more effective on shorter wheel base TV's.

Like 01Tundra my experience has been very good. Solid and stable, no sway even in heavy winds or lots of semi's passing. My tongue weight is usually around 450 with a 3700lb trailer so definitely in the small to medium size trailer. I have the older style unit with the longer and somewhat softer red urethane bushings. I adjust mine to 1/4" compression as opposed to fixed number of threads. My brackets are also welded to the frame. I think it's an excellent choice for small to medium sized units - quiet, clean, easy to hook up and light weight. If I was looking to move up to a larger and heavier unit based on what I've read to date I'd be looking for something more robust in the weight distribution capability.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
I've read a lot of threads here and on several other forums regarding the Andersen over the last 2-3 years. What stands out to me is that the majority of good reports are for small to medium sized trailers - usually under 750-800lbs tongue weight while the majority of poor reports are above that. Occasionally somebody does report a good experience with a larger and heavier unit, but it doesn't seem to be the norm. From a weight distribution perspective it seems to be more effective on shorter wheel base TV's.

Like 01Tundra my experience has been very good. Solid and stable, no sway even in heavy winds or lots of semi's passing. My tongue weight is usually around 450 with a 3700lb trailer so definitely in the small to medium size trailer. I have the older style unit with the longer and somewhat softer red urethane bushings. I adjust mine to 1/4" compression as opposed to fixed number of threads. My brackets are also welded to the frame. I think it's an excellent choice for small to medium sized units - quiet, clean, easy to hook up and light weight. If I was looking to move up to a larger and heavier unit based on what I've read to date I'd be looking for something more robust in the weight distribution capability.
I tow my 2017 27DSRL with my 2017 F250 6.2L short bed gasser with my Andersen. Tongue weight is 950-1000 lbs. I'm using 6-7 threads depending on load. So far I have no sway, no bounce, and do not feel the trucks. I do feel the TV and TT move slightly as one when the crosswinds are 25-30. I've put 1000 miles on it so far this year. The DW helps drive on longer trips and likes it.
2nOZ is offline   Reply With Quote