Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-02-2016, 06:50 PM   #1

Andersen WDH Anti Sway Hitch for my TT

I am picking up my new 2016 White Hawk 28DSBH in a week and I'm loving this Andersen WDH Anti Sway Hitch. Anyone else using this one and how do you like it. Thank you
DebMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:02 PM   #2

We have had ours since Sep 2015 on a 26BH and I am happy with it so far - we only have about 650 lbs on the tongue. Only issue was that it got really loud (creaking and groaning on slow speed sharp turns) on our trip this winter getting out of the cold. Andersen was very responsive and provided a whole new ball assembly (ball, lining, and aluminum head) based on a single email. They figure that the lining got saturated and "contaminated" as a result - I suspect that the cold allowed the ball to seat itself lower in the lining and as it warmed up heading south, the metal or lining expanded creating too much friction. It was great as long as we were going straight...
Previous - 2011 Jay Series 1007 (traded); 2016 Jay Flight 26BH (traded)
TommyAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyAjax View Post
We have had ours since Sep 2015 on a 26BH and I am happy with it so far - we only have about 650 lbs on the tongue. Only issue was that it got really loud (creaking and groaning on slow speed sharp turns) on our trip this winter getting out of the cold. Andersen was very responsive and provided a whole new ball assembly (ball, lining, and aluminum head) based on a single email. They figure that the lining got saturated and "contaminated" as a result - I suspect that the cold allowed the ball to seat itself lower in the lining and as it warmed up heading south, the metal or lining expanded creating too much friction. It was great as long as we were going straight...
Is everything quiet now that they gave you a new assembly? Does it eliminate sway like it says? How about bounce?
lukenick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyAjax View Post
Sway... how does it handle that! Must important, it can groan and moan as long as I don't sway
Old 05-02-2016, 07:28 PM   #5

The new hitch head is brand new and quiet.

I have not experienced any sway or "white knuckle" driving with it and have always felt comfortable when being passed by semis and other RV's or in crosswinds. The windiest that we have pulled it in was late March coming out of Amarillo across to OKC and it was a steady 30mph with gusts up to 55mph according to the weather reports that day. No issues.

Have not experienced any bounce.

I have never used the bar type WDH so can't compare - this is our first WDH.

Main reason I got it was for the weight savings as I am running a Ram 1500 and am tight on the payload number. We have about 7000 miles on the Andersen.
Previous - 2011 Jay Series 1007 (traded); 2016 Jay Flight 26BH (traded)
TommyAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:08 PM   #6

I've been using the Andersen since March 2015 and have about 6000 miles with it now. I had a similar experience as TommyAjax describes during our trip to southern Nevada the beginning of April. My experience with Andersen support was the same - single email and they immediately shipped me a replacement friction cone (as opposed to the whole ball assembly they sent TommyAjax). It took about 20 minutes to replace the friction cone and it's good as new.

Like TommyAjax this is the only WDH I've used. My trailer is a little smaller and I run with about 450lbs tongue weight. I did have to make a couple of adjustments after picking up the trailer. My RAM has the auto-leveling suspension. The dealer did the initial installation and had set the ball at ~1.5" above the level coupler height. Once the tongue was dropped on the ball the suspension raised it up to "level" which had the trailer running nose-high. I dropped the ball to about 1/2" below level coupler height to account for that. I also tack-welded the frame brackets for the chains as I never quite cured the little slip that was occurring.

With those adjustments in place it's been solid. It's steady in crosswinds and when the semi's go blowing by in either direction. It's always been a comfortable tow - no white knuckle and I'm not exhausted after pulling 500 miles in a day. I'm very happy with it and feel like it's a good choice, especially for small to medium trailers.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
I've been using the Andersen since March 2015 and have about 6000 miles with it now. I had a similar experience as TommyAjax describes during our trip to southern Nevada the beginning of April. My experience with Andersen support was the same - single email and they immediately shipped me a replacement friction cone (as opposed to the whole ball assembly they sent TommyAjax). It took about 20 minutes to replace the friction cone and it's good as new.

Like TommyAjax this is the only WDH I've used. My trailer is a little smaller and I run with about 450lbs tongue weight. I did have to make a couple of adjustments after picking up the trailer. My RAM has the auto-leveling suspension. The dealer did the initial installation and had set the ball at ~1.5" above the level coupler height. Once the tongue was dropped on the ball the suspension raised it up to "level" which had the trailer running nose-high. I dropped the ball to about 1/2" below level coupler height to account for that. I also tack-welded the frame brackets for the chains as I never quite cured the little slip that was occurring.

With those adjustments in place it's been solid. It's steady in crosswinds and when the semi's go blowing by in either direction. It's always been a comfortable tow - no white knuckle and I'm not exhausted after pulling 500 miles in a day. I'm very happy with it and feel like it's a good choice, especially for small to medium trailers.
Good to hear. I have a TT I'm trading in and hate the WDH set up, the bars and chains are a pain and the friction sway bar ..not the best . Want a better system for the new TT I'm getting. I don't want white knuckles anymore !! LOL
Old 05-13-2016, 02:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebMar View Post
Good to hear. I have a TT I'm trading in and hate the WDH set up, the bars and chains are a pain and the friction sway bar ..not the best . Want a better system for the new TT I'm getting. I don't want white knuckles anymore !! LOL
Hi DebMar,

Did you pick up your White Hawk yet? I'm REALLY interested to know how you made out with the Andersen. I'm picking up my new 28DSBH in a week and I'll be using the Andersen as well. Please let us know how it's worked for you and good luck with the new rig!
Our White Hawk photo album
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:32 PM   #9

Hi, I'm picking up the White Hawk May 17th. I actually stopped today at the RV dealer for my sister and saw my White Hawk sitting there. So I went in and showed her. Its awesome. I did see some defects and I pointed them out and they wrote them down and should have those fixed by the time I pick it up on Tuesday. One was the side decal, peeling, they said they will remove and put new one on.
I have the Anderson here and will install it on the new RV when I pick it up and then give to my sister. After much reading and research I feel it it not the best for my length camper, IMO if my TT started to go into a sway, the Andersen would have a hard time bring it back in. I think its best for shorter TT's. So I ordered the ProPride. If I didn't get the Propride I would have grabbed the the Equalizer 4 point anti sway or blue ox. Both have the 4 point anti sway, more friction points for preventing sway.