Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-04-2016, 11:56 PM   #1

Andersen Weight Distribution Hitch

We had an Equal-I-zer weight distributing hitch before and had good luck with it. A coworker recently bought a new camper and is purchasing the Andersen weight distributing hitch. I watched the videos and it looks fairly simple and without the noises of the bar systems. Anyone chime in on this system?

Thanks.
270wsmhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:06 AM   #2

I would say it depends on the size of the TT. I have the Andersen and like it. Does pretty much everything as advertised - quiet, light weight, clean, easy to hook up and good sway control. We put close to 4000 miles on it last year.

When I was researching in mid-2014 there seemed to be more reports of issues with heavier tongue weights and not being able to get enough load returned to the front axle. This seemed to be more of a problem with tongue weights upwards of 800lbs or more. My tongue weight runs about 450lbs average and I have no problem with load restoration to the front axle. So it appears to be well-suited for tongue weights under 800lbs.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:16 AM   #3

The Andersen hitch is a great system. Have towed with it for the last 2 years. I am really happy with it. Best things are quiet, NO grease, NO sway and I find it easy to hitch/unhitch. If you get one, read the instructions several times and install yourself. I had dealer install as they said they had done them before and I had to do it myself anyway.(chain mounts had different measements on each side
by the time i got home one chain was loose. 13km drive). I pre-drilled dimples in the frame for the set screws and used a torque wrench on all fasteners. I did not weld the chain mounts as others have stated they had to and it has not shifted at all. Now I have to admit I have not used any other WDH, so I am not qualified to compare it to anything else.
Average tongue weight runs around 120lbs and Silverado 3500HD XC LB does just fine with it.
Happy Camping
Andersen Hitch.
'07 Northern Lite 10-2RR Camper.
SuperSprings.
Northern Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:03 PM   #4

I used one in 2014 and i am one of the ones with a 800-900lb tongue weight and I could not get enough weight transfer.
I felt it stiffened the ride of the tow vehicle and was more cumbersome to hitch and unhitch.

It is light and quieter but I sold it and went with a Blue Ox.

Much better towing experience and easier to hitch and unhitch.

Cheers
Old 03-08-2016, 03:21 PM   #5

After doing a little research I believe we will continue to utilize the Equal-i-zer hitch on our new camper. I know how to dial it in and family knows how to hook it up too.
270wsmhunter is offline   Reply With Quote