Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-29-2016, 09:35 PM   #41
JMC

On trim levels.... Check out the Big Horn edition. It's an SLT with an options package. I found that it was perfect. Not paying for leather seats or dash... But has heated seats, heated steering wheel, remote start and other goodies. I found it was almost $5k less than the Laramie and was a sweet spot for options that I wanted most.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:32 AM   #42

Just picked up a 2016 Ram Lonestar 3500 SRW, 4X4, CC, 6.7 Cummins, Aisin, with 3.42. Haven't towed yet but I can tell you with 900lb-ft torque people say I could pull a house off the foundation!

We traded in a 2015 Ram Lonestar 2500 Megacab, 4X4, 6.4 Hemi, 3.73 because it was on the edge of being overloaded with a 12.5K 5er.

Interiors are basically the same except the 3500 has some additional features. 10 way Buckets with lumbar are very comfortable and trust me, I spent some time in the saddle. Right after I picked the 2500 up I put on 19,500 miles over 7 months. They both had adjustable pedals as well, which make positioning easier to reduce fatigue during long hauls.
Inthewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:58 AM   #43

Be sure of the options "actually" on the truck before you sign. I have a 2016 2500 SLT Cummins with the Lonestar package My understanding is the Lonestar & Big Horn packages are the same thing. Lonestar just marketed in TX. However unlike JMC & Inthewind, I did NOT get heated seats/steering wheel. Also, did not get adjustable pedals. Only the driver's seat is power adjustable. Also, my SLT came with the "sport" mirrors. Why RAM would not put tow mirrors on a truck set up for towing is beyond me.
You live and learn, or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:31 AM   #44
Site Team

Thanks to all who are providing real world information. I already feel better equipped to deal with the calls.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:38 AM   #45
Site Team

New Question

I currently have a DrawTite hitch in my current truck, mounted on rails. Can these rails be attached to the bed puck arrangement and if so will I have any bed height clearance problems? My rig now runs level at a pin height of 43 inches.

I am leaning toward a 2wd truck 6.7L CC, LB , Bighorn 2014 or above.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 03-01-2016, 05:55 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I currently have a DrawTite hitch in my current truck, mounted on rails. Can these rails be attached to the bed puck arrangement and if so will I have any bed height clearance problems? My rig now runs level at a pin height of 43 inches.

Only way to do rails in the factory equipped puck system is the picture frame adapter which is a rail system that is removable. If no prep then you can install a traditional rail system.

You are going to need to play with your setup a little as the Ram will not "squat" like your current Ford. I would say your current settings might be a little nose high if you do not change a thing.

The only way to know for sure is to hook it up.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:17 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
I read some bad things about some 2015 Ram brake controllers in that link that was posted somewhere in the forum.
If at all possible before you hand over your $$ see if you can pull your rig with it first.

I have a problem controller in my F350. I have very poor braking. Will probably have to put in an aftermarket controller. Certainly not the look I paid for.
I have the 2015 2500 Outdoorsman with the 6.7 Cummins. Never had a problem with the brake controller. Have 15,000 miles on it so far and go out every month pulling my Eagle. Even had to lock the brakes up one time when a fool pulled right out in front of us. What a racket that made, but we stopped in a very short distance. Scattered a few things around but other than that, no problem.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:50 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
I have the 2015 2500 Outdoorsman with the 6.7 Cummins. Never had a problem with the brake controller. Have 15,000 miles on it so far and go out every month pulling my Eagle. Even had to lock the brakes up one time when a fool pulled right out in front of us. What a racket that made, but we stopped in a very short distance. Scattered a few things around but other than that, no problem.
Read about it hereBrake Controller - DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums

I know how he feels. Paid a lot of money for a feature that doesn't work, is dangerous and no one will take your concern seriously....so you're stuck with it.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:43 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
Read about it hereBrake Controller - DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums

I know how he feels. Paid a lot of money for a feature that doesn't work, is dangerous and no one will take your concern seriously....so you're stuck with it.
I just checked mine and I am at 13.0V hooked up, heavy trailer setting with full brake control. I intend to do this check again in the spring more thoroughly, but thought I would check in case there was a gremlin to work out ahead of the season.

While I have only towed with this TV once, all seemed fine when I did do it. This spring it will be set for full lock up.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:42 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMC View Post
On trim levels.... Check out the Big Horn edition. It's an SLT with an options package. I found that it was perfect. Not paying for leather seats or dash... But has heated seats, heated steering wheel, remote start and other goodies. I found it was almost $5k less than the Laramie and was a sweet spot for options that I wanted most.
I do have to say the remote start sucks. You can't hit the button to stop and grab a coffee. You have to shut the truck off and then remote start it again after you get out. That's a lot of wear and tear on a diesel when it's really cold out. The U Connect thru the phone to start it also takes forever and many times doesn't work. I am seriously thinking of going aftermarket on both. Never had an issue with my Smartstart on my previous truck.
Spanky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:32 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky1 View Post
I do have to say the remote start sucks. You can't hit the button to stop and grab a coffee. You have to shut the truck off and then remote start it again after you get out. That's a lot of wear and tear on a diesel when it's really cold out. The U Connect thru the phone to start it also takes forever and many times doesn't work. I am seriously thinking of going aftermarket on both. Never had an issue with my Smartstart on my previous truck.
I don't have the remote start, or the push-button start. But if I want to get out for a minute (like to grab a coffee or something), I just pull the actual key out of the fob and lock the driver door from the outside manually. You have to lock all the doors with the power lock, unlock the driver door using the post on the door, get out, close the driver door and manually lock it with the key. Takes some doing, but it works especially when I have a child asleep in the back seat and need to step away from the truck for a moment. Since I have the actual metal key in hand, I can't get locked out.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:19 AM   #52

Check this out... gives a good idea about what they have to offer now.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:28 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky1 View Post
My truck has push button and remote start. All I have to do is exit the vehicle with the key fob and lock the doors, it stays running. Even if i dont lock the doors, the truck wont shift from park unless the key fob is inside the cab. My remote start works well. It picks up over 200'. I start it from inside my house(through a window) all the time with the truck in the shop. I love it.

My brake box also works awesome. Light trailer on 6 is good for my Jayco.

Drove a bunch of ford diesels...owned 3. The Ram is my favorite so far but it's also a 10 years newer than my others were.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:24 PM   #54

Quote:

You will do better to go with the picture frame adapter...They are Very pricy from Mopar, and cheaper from Reese, but still around $300..If you need one and could figure out how to get it to you, I have a perfectly good one I would let you have for $100, It's just setting in my tool shed..I upgraded to a B&W 3600 RVK which fits right into the puck system.
B&W RVK 3600 hitch
USAF Viet Nam Vet
NC Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:31 PM   #55

Well, this much I can say. I just had to make a panic stop coming home on our last trip. I had a fool pull right out in front of us and had to stomp down on the pedal hard. Made an awful racket! But we stopped in no time. I was not even using heavy load on the controller, just the regular setting. We did scatter some stuff in the 5th wheel but believe me, I was a believer in the braking system!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:03 PM   #56
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Hauler View Post
You will do better to go with the picture frame adapter...They are Very pricy from Mopar, and cheaper from Reese, but still around $300..If you need one and could figure out how to get it to you, I have a perfectly good one I would let you have for $100, It's just setting in my tool shed..I upgraded to a B&W 3600 RVK which fits right into the puck system.
Thanks, I'll keep it in mind. We go to Waynesville and Asheville a lot. If I need it we can work out the details
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 03-01-2016, 04:02 PM   #57

Quote:
Thanks, I'll keep it in mind. We go to Waynesville and Asheville a lot. If I need it we can work out the details

Cool, if interested, let me know, and I'll PM you my phone number..

Jim
B&W RVK 3600 hitch
USAF Viet Nam Vet
NC Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:40 PM   #58
Site Team

Things are moving. I found 3 I like and I may be looking at one tomorrow.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 03-01-2016, 05:54 PM   #59

Quote:
Things are moving. I found 3 I like and I may be looking at one tomorrow.
How many miles on your 6.0 Ford, Norty?

You will LOVE the low end torque and no lag "take off" time of the 6.7 cummins over the 6.0. The cummins aren't quite as high strung as the 6.0s, they make big power at a lower RPM.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:15 PM   #60
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
How many miles on your 6.0 Ford, Norty?

You will LOVE the low end torque and no lag "take off" time of the 6.7 cummins over the 6.0. The cummins aren't quite as high strung as the 6.0s, they make big power at a lower RPM.
110k on the Lariat.
Gator roll-up bed cover