Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-01-2016, 07:18 PM   #61

That's all barely broke in
Old 03-01-2016, 07:24 PM   #62
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintinfool3 View Post
That's all barely broke in
It's for sale!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:32 PM   #63

Oh I am sure you will sale it fairly quick . I just bought the 2011 king ranch it has 97000 on it
Old 03-02-2016, 11:44 AM   #64

If you go with the Ram I'll be soliciting a review from you. Although my upgrade is still months away I've narrowed it to Ford or Ram, lord knows I've worn the forum out asking questions about TV's and 5'ers for our future upgrades! Very glad people offer such good info here, and good luck.
"Gonna buy a home on wheels see
how it feels going mobile"
mothernaturesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:55 PM   #65

I have the '15 Ram 3500 in my signature. it's an SLT. I've put 12,000 miles on it.

DEF needs filled about every 6,000 miles (unloaded). Must faster when towing a heavy load.

There are 2 fuel filter/water separators.

The 5th wheel/gooseneck prep is an option I have. I would only get this option if you want to spend the money to buy the hitch that works with the factory pucks.

No problems with the truck so far.
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:18 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by hboy View Post
I have the '15 Ram 3500 in my signature. it's an SLT. I've put 12,000 miles on it.

DEF needs filled about every 6,000 miles (unloaded). Must faster when towing a heavy load.

There are 2 fuel filter/water separators.

The 5th wheel/gooseneck prep is an option I have. I would only get this option if you want to spend the money to buy the hitch that works with the factory pucks.

No problems with the truck so far.
He CAN use a picture frame adapter and his own hitch if he has one now..Don't "necessarily" HAVE to purchase a hitch that fits the puck system...just depends how deep one's pockets is..
B&W RVK 3600 hitch
USAF Viet Nam Vet
NC Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:38 AM   #67
Site Team

Update

Well I spent the whole day looking at trucks, thinking about trucks, etc. First I got 2 estimates on my truck the highest one is likely the best I can get for it. New ones are scarce and expensive. Started searching for used and they are also scarce.

Right now I don't know which way to go. Ever been there?

Today, I'm checking on having the "Bulletproof" mod done to my current truck, and waiting on several who are looking for a late model 3500, long or short bed, 6.7 diesel with a Bighorn or Laramie pkg.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 03-03-2016, 06:41 AM   #68
JOF Mascot

Norty, Its only money, and it only costs a little more to go first class. That`s what Crabman told me anyways.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:29 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Well I spent the whole day looking at trucks, thinking about trucks, etc. First I got 2 estimates on my truck the highest one is likely the best I can get for it. New ones are scarce and expensive. Started searching for used and they are also scarce.

Right now I don't know which way to go. Ever been there?

Today, I'm checking on having the "Bulletproof" mod done to my current truck, and waiting on several who are looking for a late model 3500, long or short bed, 6.7 diesel with a Bighorn or Laramie pkg.
Hey Norty. I was there for 2 years prior to my recent upgrade. I have learned to take the emotion out of it, step back and check the boxes. Get a good handle on what your trucks value is, both private and trade in first. Once you have that number now enter a search in Auto Trader for all your minimums as far as amenities go. You will get e-mails when something matches your perfect vehicle if you set it up.

This last go around I was offered 5K difference between trade in's and when it came down to 2 trucks that met my budget, trim and build up I then started negotiating. I made the deal through e-mail and texts then traveled 500 miles to do the deal. It was an 8K difference between the 2 deals and overall the best deal I could find on both sides of it.

Patience is the best advice I can give you in this. Open your search up to a broader net. The deals are out there, just need to dig them up.

On your 6.0 the bulletproofing is a few K and there is guy in Atlanta I think that does it. Do you know your current delta between oil and coolant? If it's more than 20 degrees under stress then I would look into changing your oil cooler. When I first got my 6.0 I dropped, flushed, replaced every fluid, added 4" turbo back exhaust and put the coolant filter on.

Every 2 seasons I changed the coolant and tranny fluid. My delta never went over 20 degrees unless I was on a steep grade climbing, then it came right back down. The oil cooler usually leads to the failure in these engines and is what I believe the most critical part to monitor.

Good luck!

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:40 AM   #70

Check out Kernersville Dodge Ram dealerships inventory in NC. They have one of the largest truck inventories on the EC for Rams. Multiple models to choose from both new and used. I found several there, just no used at the time, but tons of new ones all with multiple build sheets to choose from.

Since your probably getting a factory warranty under most cases any dealer will take you in to do work.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:48 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky1 View Post
I do have to say the remote start sucks. You can't hit the button to stop and grab a coffee. You have to shut the truck off and then remote start it again after you get out. That's a lot of wear and tear on a diesel when it's really cold out. The U Connect thru the phone to start it also takes forever and many times doesn't work. I am seriously thinking of going aftermarket on both. Never had an issue with my Smartstart on my previous truck.
The option in your case is to leave the key fob in the ignition and lock it from the outside with the removable traditional key.

Also, Dodge doesn't recommend idling for any long periods of time so not sure which is the lesser of two evils in your case. 😝
Inthewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:59 PM   #72
Site Team

Well this was fun. but we have made a big decision. I talked with 3 different mechanics who have worked on my truck. I have done everything to my present truck that is a common problem to a 6.0 with 110k except for head gaskets and head bolts. They all agree that my towing circumstances do not increase the chances that my truck is stressing out the heads.

We are going to drive it until it busts, then look for another vehicle. It may be tomorrow or 5 years. Either way my truck is worth more to me than it is worth as a trade or sale so we will keep it!

Thanks for all the input from others and I feel I am more knowledgeable about Dodge Rams and maybe one day I will own one.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 03-03-2016, 07:21 PM   #73

Unless your chipped and towing fairly heavy, head gaskets and stretched head bolts are unlikely. We have 2 6.0s at work that pull heavy constantly, and neither one have ever had the head gaskets or bolts changed. One has 430000 miles and the other has 270000. They are stockers other than EGR deletes.

Common problems for us were injectors, FICM, ICP sensor, IPR sensor, and they've both had a turbo a piece and water pump. Most all of that was after 200k. They've held up fairly well for the abuse they've been through.