Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-06-2015, 12:56 PM   #1

Anyone towing a Mini Cooper?

I should have added 4 wheels down. If so, please provide details, year, model, etc.
Thanks
rdunnivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:25 AM   #2

You might find your answer here:

Towing your MINI - North American Motoring

'13 Jayco Premier 351RLTS

'17 F350 King Ranch Ultimate FX4 6.7L TD SRW LB BackFlip F1
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 03:37 PM   #3

Thanks to all that provided info on this. I think I am going to ignore the advice of the Mini dealers and buy 1, and set it up as a toad. I may be posting for advice on the best way to get that done (be gentle, I'm new). Then hopefully I can post the positive results. Again, Thanks all.
rdunnivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:14 PM   #4

I am considering towing a Ford Fiesta all wheels down behind a Precept 31ul. Any comments would be appreciated.
preceptjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 03:08 PM   #5

In the size range of the Mini / Fiesta mentioned above, I am towing a Chevy Sonic with 4 down. It is one of the few compact cars with automatic transmission that needs no significant alterations to tow.

The only requirement that GM has to tow this vehicle was the removal of a fuse to prevent battery drain. I eliminated that nessecity by adding a charging cable connected to the 7-pin plug with an inline fuse to protect the battery. It was installed by my dealer at the same time as the towing plate for no additional cost.

So far I have loved the car. it is my daily commuter as well as the Toad. Decent power for a compact, lots of space for four adults and the dog and tons of trunk room for picking up groceries or storing extra items while in transit.

If you want really small, the Chevy Spark also tows 4-down without any additional alterations.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:19 PM   #6

rdunnivan. How did you do setting up the Mini Cooper for towing? Were you able to find the baseplate? And how level was your towbar when it is connected? Or did you have to lower your hitch on the motorhome to keep it level? I would love to tow a Mini Cooper, but refuse to lower my hitch on the motorhome. It already drafts too often going in and out of parking lots. The tow experts say the bar should be reasonably level, but I never did understand why.
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote