Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-30-2015, 01:02 PM   #1

Assistance with Eagle 23.5RBS pre-order info

I am considering custom ordering a 2016 Eagle HT 23.5RBS. Since my tow vehicle is a F150 short bed (5.5) I will need a slider hitch to make things work. I was advised the Reese 16K dual jaw 5th wheel jaw hitch (30047), along with a 5th Airborne sidewinder pin box are the correct hitch components to order, however, on the factory order sheet there are options listed for the MOR/Rydell "RPB" Rubber Pin Box, as well as a Reese Revolution 90" Pin Box.

Is anyone aware if either of these pin boxes are acceptable to use with my truck/trailer combo? I understand there is considerable labor involved with installing a pin box, and if the height adjustment, or clearance is not correct then you may have a major issues to resolve.
EagleHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 03:37 PM   #2

The Reese Revolution is the same as the 5th Airborne. I have it on the rig in the signature (6.5 box). Be aware that it is not a slider, but gives the same effect by moving the pivot point rearwards all the time. You can use any non-sliding hitch with it. (Well, B&W doesn't like it, so if you buy theirs, they'll void the warranty.) I have a Reese hitch in my truck. BTW, it won't work with an automatic slider, so don't buy both (might with a manual slider - call Reese)! Call Reese and/or Jayco directly, I'm sure they can give you the ultimate word on suitability.

The MORyd is a regular pin box, with extra shock absorption. Really only a consideration for the "big boys", and not us with the small 5ths.

Can't advise on how well it will work on your bed, have never jackknifed mine, then gotten out to check to see how much clearance I had. All I know is that I can jackknife it a LOT, and not hit the cab on mine!

When I picked up my 5th two years ago, the dealer had to add a lift kit to the axles to get the 5th to have adequate clearance over the sides of my F150. He said the choice of pin box didn't matter - it would have had to be done anyway. Ford's are just a little higher than Jayco built for.

Search on my username - I have posted several things about the Revolution. Generally it is a plus, but there are some "tricks" to living with it.....
Old 07-30-2015, 04:28 PM   #3

Thanks Flapper! Very helpful information.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:17 PM   #4

I emailed Reese and they were very helpful, and saved me some money also. I have the 6.5 bed with factory pucks. Reese recommended their adapter to fit into the pucks, then said I could put almost anyones hitch on it. I went with the Reese 16k hitch with the double jaw. I also installed a Sidewinder pin box on the 5'er. It all works well for me. The hitch and adapter are light enough that I can take them in and out of the bed myself. I also removed the original pin box and installed the Sidewinder myself, but took some doing, with a small bench and floor jack to put the pin box into the turret. If you have a second body to help, it would be an easy job.
2015 F250 Super duty 6.2L full trailering pkg.
Loris, South Carolina.
rryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:06 PM   #5

Here's a link to a thread where we discussed in's and out's of the Revolution/Sidewinder....

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f6...der-25858.html
Old 07-31-2015, 05:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rryman View Post
I emailed Reese and they were very helpful, and saved me some money also. I have the 6.5 bed with factory pucks. Reese recommended their adapter to fit into the pucks, then said I could put almost anyones hitch on it. I went with the Reese 16k hitch with the double jaw. I also installed a Sidewinder pin box on the 5'er. It all works well for me. The hitch and adapter are light enough that I can take them in and out of the bed myself. I also removed the original pin box and installed the Sidewinder myself, but took some doing, with a small bench and floor jack to put the pin box into the turret. If you have a second body to help, it would be an easy job.
Thanks rryman. Lots of good information. Earlier I looked at the option of installing the Pullrite ISR Series SuperGlide 16k hitch, however, I concluded that it might be better to keep all the components Reese branded. Possibly, my thinking was incorrect.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:28 PM   #7

Order the camper with the Reese Revolution from Jayco. They design the frame differently and it is backed by their 2 year warranty. It is the same as a Sidewinder but it looks and mounts different. You can use almost any regular hitch you want with it and it WILL allow you to completely jackknife with a 5.5' bed. Here are some pics I took of my old truck with a 5.5' bed hooked up to a 2015 23.5 With the revolution and a Husky 16KS hitch.

-Eli
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2204.jpg   IMG_2203.jpg   IMG_2202.jpg   IMG_2205.jpg   IMG_2207.jpg  

Old 08-07-2015, 05:41 PM   #8

Eli,

Excellent photos...thank you very much. I heard a few reports of hitch issues due to the height on a few 4x4 ultra short bed trucks, however, after seeing your photos I suspect this is a non-issue unless you have a custom raised tow vehicle.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:32 AM   #9

Height will be a non issue on any stock height 1/2 ton truck. For reference.... Here is a pic of that same truck with my 26.5 BHS hooked to it. That truck had a 2" lift in front, 1.75" block in the rear and SSA5 SuperSprings. My 26.5 has the Revolution pin box and as you can see it sat level.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, my new truck is a 2015 2500 HD Z71 with the 20" wheel option. This is one of the highest sitting stock trucks on the market. I have a Husky 16KW hitch set on the second hole. My camper sits only slightly nose high on this truck. (see pic)

The aftermarket Reese Sidewinder pinbox mounts slightly lower than the OEM Revolution because of its universal design. This DOES sometimes cause the trailer to sit pretty high on some of the newer trucks. Get the Revolution.

Hope this helps clear some things up.

-Eli
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2265.jpg   IMG_2736.jpg  
Old 08-08-2015, 04:12 PM   #10

Great info! Will definitely go with the Reese Revolution pin box. Just installed the Roadmaster Suspension System on my F150 this week, and as a result there is about an 1 1/4" lift in the back.

Also, considering the factory 16" Maxxis M8008 tire/wheel upgrade option. Is this money well spent?
Old 08-09-2015, 01:24 PM   #11

That's your call. I do not think it is nessicary on a 23.5 being towed by a half ton.

-Eli