Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-04-2015, 07:35 PM   #1

Best hitch for 6.5' bed?

Hello, I'm new to this forum and I'm just looking for advice on the best hitch for my application? I have a Jayco 29.5BHDS on order and the dealer is trying to sell me on the Reese manual slider hitch. I know nothing about fifth wheel hitches so any feedback will be appreciated!

Kevin
Kevin O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 07:53 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to JOF. Lots of info to absorb as you get started.

First off, what type truck body do you have? If it is a short bed, 6.5' you will likely need a slider and a extended pin on the camper. The Reese slider is tried and true. I have the same hitch w/o the slider option.

Knowing the hitch/unhitch procedures is key to using any type hitch.

I am sure you will get many other opinions and they may all be someone's favorite.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:45 PM   #3

This is an area that you will get many, many opinions. A Reese manual slider is a very good unit. The problem with the manual slider is that you need to remember to reset it when you are going to make a extreme angle backing turn. The most full proof setups are the automatic sliders. They work off a cam that is placed on your fifth wheel called a capture plate. Pullrite makes automatics as well as others.
There is some question if you need a slider at all. Most fifth wheels and all recent Jaycos that I'm aware of have made the noses of the fifth wheels with indents made in them to help accommodate turns on short bed trucks without the use of sliders. Thats not to say that you could make full 90 degree turns in any condition and be assured of not "kissing" the truck with your camper. In my experience, its very rare to make a full 90 degree turn while backing.
I have a 6.75' Ford bed and use a pullrite automatic slider which I'm convinced I really don't need. I'm going to replace that with another Ford with the same bed and going to replace with an Andersen ultimate which has no slide at all.
As Norty1 said, the length of your bed has a lot to do with your needs. If you want absolute guarantee's, go with an automatic slider. But for no more times then you need it and you have presence of mind to move the slide, any adjustable slide will get the job done.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:03 PM   #4

Best hitch for 6.5' bed?

If you have a 6.5' bed you really shouldn't need a slider but it won't hurt you (other than a couple hundred bucks) to have.

I have a Reese manual slider and have never had to use it in 2yrs. I have been from Maine to Key West and Michigan and back. We routinely go in to towns and cities with it and no issues. Planning your turns before you make them and setting up your back properly will take most of the stress and guess out of it.
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 07:55 AM   #5

I too have the Reese manual slider but haven't needed it yet. I can get to roughly 75* - 80* when backing before the cap gets a little too close for comfort.

Something to consider when deciding manual vs. auto is the weight of the hitch. When researching them before we purchased I found that the auto were quite a bit heavier.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:09 AM   #6

Look very close at the Andersen ultimate. They have a setback of 4 inches total that should give adequate clearance under nearly all situations. And it is about $700 and only weighs 35 lb.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:35 AM   #7

Thanks for the input guys.. After doing some research I'm leaning towards the Pullrite Superglide with it's automatic slide .. One less thing to worry about.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:30 AM   #8
Site Team

Please keep us posted on your opinion of the Pull-rite.

My first truck was used and already had the Reese setup. I liked it so much that I bought a new one next truck but there are many good ones to pick from.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:15 AM   #9

The one thing that you need to know with a pullrite is that you need to be within 10 degrees of straight when you hook up. The cam action will twist the head of the hitch if you are not backing into the hitch straight.
As I said previously, I am switching to an Andersem ultimate and have a 16000 lb. pullrite for sale if you are interested.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:44 PM   #10

I'm brand new to 5'er, and I just used a new Pull-Rite Superglide to pull my Jayco North Point 377RLBH home. No problems at all with a sharp turn, backing it onto my side yard. Plenty of clearance. No "chucking" or bumping on 230 mile ride home from dealer.
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_Instructor View Post
I'm brand new to 5'er, and I just used a new Pull-Rite Superglide to pull my Jayco North Point 377RLBH home. No problems at all with a sharp turn, backing it onto my side yard. Plenty of clearance. No "chucking" or bumping on 230 mile ride home from dealer.
Pullrite superglide is an excellent hitch!! My only reason for switching to something else is that I am a waiting delivery on a new Ford truck with the gooseneck assembly built in. The pullrite that I have is designed for rails which I Don't want to use on the new truck. My only beef with the pullrite is that it does require nearly straight hook up and it is also heavy. It remains to be seen if I will be happy with the Andersen hitch.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:27 PM   #12

Overall accounts on the Pullrite are excellent. But...they are very heavy in both weight and $$$. If that is not a big concern, go for it. They do appear to be the best.

The "cheaper", and much lighter, option would be to consider a conventional hitch, and a Reese Sidewinder/Revolution. It's an extended pin box that moves the pivot point back.
I've gotten myself into some really hairy jackknives with it on my 6.5 box, and never any worries about hitting the cab - and nothing to remember to manually set.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin O. View Post
Thanks for the input guys.. After doing some research I'm leaning towards the Pullrite Superglide with it's automatic slide .. One less thing to worry about.
I'm planning on doing the same. (PullRite SuperGlide)
I just ordered an Eagle 323LKTS on Saturday. The extra weight and money I can deal with easier over the slim chance I could put the 5vr into my cab. After reading several posts on the subject and talking to a coworker that has a manual slider and forgot to slide it back one day and put $1000 damage to the corner of his cab I think automatic is for me!
This will be our first 5vr and I'm going to be nervous enough just from the size of this new rig and getting it in a camping spot without putting a tree branch in the side of it. So what ever I can do, I just call it more insurance.

Like you said "One less thing to worry about".
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:05 PM   #14

Regardless of which slider hitch you get, please make make sure that the pin box will clear the tailgate when it slides back. We have the B&W Companion sliding hitch and the pin box will not clear the top of the tailgate. We will now have to get a new one that has the V cut out. So far, we have no need to engage the slide feature, as we're currently getting about 75 degrees in a tight turn.

Quote:
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:39 AM   #15

I debated between pull rite superglide and Reese revolution (with b&w ram hitch) and went with the latter. It works great and b&w locking jaws are the best out there imo. Bad thing business to give up my morbryde pinbox to do this
Old 12-08-2015, 07:50 AM   #16

I have been using a Pullrite Superglide for the last 9 years with our current 33' 5th, over 40,000 miles towing. I was in the same situation as you 9 years ago. When researching online, I saw way too many pictures of crushed cab corners and broken back windows, quite a few from people with manual sliders that got into a bit of a rush at zero dark thirty trying to set up in the middle of the night during a rain storm. All it takes is one occurrence to make you regret a decision. I knew that I would do this at some point. Many don't have slider hitches and don't ever use them or have a problem, so it goes back to you, your camping likes and how likely you are to forget to watch the corner along with everything else.

I have never had an issue being able to hook up within 10 degrees of straight. Unhooking is more likely to be a problem if you camp in tight areas. If this happens, you just pull the pins for the head of the hitch and run the landing gear up until you can drive out. You pull the head off the king pin and put it back on the hitch. A little inconvenient, but not a deal killer. I've done this twice in 9 years and we camp in a lot of tight places.

Just be warned, there is some maintenance on this hitch. Minor lube tasks every now and then. And once every year or two you should remove the slide tubes and clean them. I coat them with a graphite base spray paint, called slip plate. I generally do it every year.

I have had springs on the head rust and break. Called Pullrite and they sent a full rebuild kit out in the mail, no charge. This year, while letting my son hook up the camper, it high hitched and bent the self closing lever, which then broke when I was trying to bend it back. I called Pullrite to buy the lever, they sent it to me with no charge.

Nothing but good things to say. I'd buy one again in a second if I were getting a new one.

The only real downside that I have felt is that when others need help with fifth wheels, I am unable to help since the hitch won't work without a capture plate on the pin box. Again, not a deal breaker.
Cdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:17 PM   #17

Thanks again for all the feedback guys. Can't wait for next years camping season!!
Old 12-08-2015, 10:33 PM   #18

We have a Pullrite but not the Superglide. It's automatic but is an in box hitch setup, not under frame like the Superglide. They work the same but the straight Pullrite is somewhat cheaper. The 10 degree angle issue has never been a problem for us but the unit is heavy. We have had some chucking issues but it can be adjusted to not do that. If I was starting from scratch I would look at the Anderson, but you won't go wrong with a Pullrite.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 02:15 PM   #19

I tried sending you a private msg but it didn't work. How old is the Pullrite you have, condition, and how much are you looking to get for it? Also you said that is uses the standard rails correct??
Old 12-10-2015, 07:33 PM   #20

Quote:
I tried sending you a private msg but it didn't work. How old is the Pullrite you have, condition, and how much are you looking to get for it? Also you said that is uses the standard rails correct??
I am assuming that you were referring to me who is in the process of switching trucks. The pullrite superglide was bought new in the end of 2011 when we bought our Jayco fiver.Just removed it from the truck today. $400 here in Maryland is the price. Send me your email if you are interested. It uses standard rail setup.