Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-16-2016, 10:08 AM   #1

Blue ox sway pro hitch reviews

HI there looking at getting a new sway control switch and have been looking the Blue Ox, does anyone have any experience with these? Thx
Jon 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:45 AM   #2
JMC

I'm leaning this way too. Just about everything I can find is positive...
Old 01-16-2016, 11:11 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I don't have any "hands on" experience with the Blue Ox WDH, but it's referenced in the following JOF threads......., you can always PM the JOF member of the thread-post for specific feedback as well.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...h-23466-3.html

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...s-23047-2.html

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...t-25302-2.html

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 04:08 PM   #4

I bought the Blue Ox SwayPro w/1000# bars with my 2015 27DSRL & 2010 GMC 1500. Never had a problem with Sway and it leveled for Weight distribution the Truck & Trailer very well. Since switched to a Ford F250 and do not necessarily need the Weight control but still never had sway.
Easy to Hitch up. My DW positions the Bars into the Hitch and I clip the chain to the frame supports & spin the Wench. Just reverse the process @ the Campsite, only a few minutes. I do not remove the Bars when Backing up.

Although I never used any other Hitch , I would fully recommend.

015 Ford F250 Lariat SD
2015 Jayco WhiteHawk 27DSRL (Sold)
2017 KZ Durango D281RLT.
RSerendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 06:19 PM   #5

For those who currently have or used to have the Blue Ox, do you need to raise the RV in order to put the chains on? This is one extra step in hooking up my round bar system that I'd like to eliminate.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post
For those who currently have or used to have the Blue Ox, do you need to raise the RV in order to put the chains on? This is one extra step in hooking up my round bar system that I'd like to eliminate.

Yes you need to raise the trailer up a little to put the chains on. I believe you have to do that with any WHD, but I could be wrong.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:05 PM   #7

We have a Blue Ox WDH and it has been great. I have no complaints.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:32 PM   #8

Not sure what you mean by raising the RV. I never had to.

Drop hitch on Ball, clamp the hitch on Ball, place bars in the hitch holes, place chain on Bracket and turn the wench. When turning the wench to lock the chains, the TT & TV level out.

015 Ford F250 Lariat SD
2015 Jayco WhiteHawk 27DSRL (Sold)
2017 KZ Durango D281RLT.
RSerendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:50 PM   #9

Have had the Blue Ox and used it with two different configurations. You can tighten the chains without raising the trailer on the jack but I really don't recommend it. The key thing is to get right bars according to the actual weight. Best to weigh the trailer and get the actual weight rather than just estimating it.
redenbacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:54 PM   #10

I have the Blue Ox WDH with 1000# bars for an underslung coupler (Jay Flight 28BHBE). I have to lift it quite a bit to get the number of links I need to level the trailer and truck out. It depends on your tongue weight, I have around 800-900lb with a 7300-7500lb trailer according to a local scale.

This is my first TT and I have been very careful to setup the hitch properly. It seems to work well in normal conditions, but I have definitely experienced sway under windy conditions. I cannot imagine any sway control system which would completely eliminate sway, if the wind picks up you should reduce your speed to accommodate or pull over.
A few times I have driven a bit too fast (over 110km/h) and it definitely felt twitchy with my 1500. I keep it between 100-110 km/h and all has been good thus far.

One thing the Blue Ox has going for it over competing hitches is convenience. I have have it setup without help in less than 5 minutes. The overall construction is also high quality, with grease fittings and a heavy duty finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSerendipity View Post
Not sure what you mean by raising the RV. I never had to.

Drop hitch on Ball, clamp the hitch on Ball, place bars in the hitch holes, place chain on Bracket and turn the wench. When turning the wench to lock the chains, the TT & TV level out.
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:12 AM   #11

Blue ox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon 2011 View Post
HI there looking at getting a new sway control switch and have been looking the Blue Ox, does anyone have any experience with these? Thx
Hi I'm a new member my name ic Paul I just bought a new jay of seismic 43 ft ,but had a class a motor home with a blue ox on a 2013 jeep unlimited and loved it hooks up in 5 min arms hook easy and you just pull forward a little and it will even itself and lock in place and you are ready to the best never had any problems. Blue ox is a good choice
Paul chantaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:18 AM   #12

Congratulations on the new Seismic and welcome to the JOF.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:51 PM   #13

I also have a blue ox and love it! I was pulling my 29qbs with a Chevy 1500. Truck was definitely maxed out but never once had a bad experience towing. Towed in 80km cross winds on a 2 lane highway and never had any sway issues. My knuckles where white and my palms sweaty but the equipment did what it was supposed to.
canadiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:49 PM   #14

This is probably user error but I used a blue ox on A smaller trailer and it was fine. I don't know if it's because of the higher tongue placement on my Whitehawk or the fact that it was set up incorrectly with the trailer way to high but I did have sway. Even after getting another dealership to correctly set up the trailer, it was still difficult at times to get the tension off before releasing the ratchet. This made for a dangerous situation. I finally replaced the system.
Vaneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:01 PM   #15

My dealer did not set it up correctly for me, but after going through the instructions I was able to get it setup well. Release tension from the bars is definitely something that you need to do carefully, I make sure to only hook and unhook the bars with the trailer jacked-up enough so that there is minimal tension, else you could easily break bones or worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaneta View Post
This is probably user error but I used a blue ox on A smaller trailer and it was fine. I don't know if it's because of the higher tongue placement on my Whitehawk or the fact that it was set up incorrectly with the trailer way to high but I did have sway. Even after getting another dealership to correctly set up the trailer, it was still difficult at times to get the tension off before releasing the ratchet. This made for a dangerous situation. I finally replaced the system.
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:35 AM   #16

Well, I was a lucky gal. After an accident while releasing the Blue Ox, I went by the RV place and jacked the unit up till the tension was mostly off and the car was almost off the ground. The owner said no way that should be the case....and lowered the hitch for the 3rd time but I still think it had something to do the receiver being at the top of the tongue. When I released the Blue Ox, I would actually stand as far back as I could reach and still do it because it was so difficult. This particular time, the other side had come off normally and I guess the vehicle must not have been straight or something but when I released the other one I don't really know what happened but I ended up in the emergency room. I didn't have broken face bones or a concussion so I was lucky. Have a nice scar now but felt myself lucky. I had already planned to switch systems so after that, I got a Hensley which doesn't have the tension issues nor the ball not releasing to unhook that I had struggled with. Overkill maybe but I was done with tension bars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbreath View Post
My dealer did not set it up correctly for me, but after going through the instructions I was able to get it setup well. Release tension from the bars is definitely something that you need to do carefully, I make sure to only hook and unhook the bars with the trailer jacked-up enough so that there is minimal tension, else you could easily break bones or worse.
Vaneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:49 AM   #17

We have had the Blue Ox for a couple of years and it has been great.

2017 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax
lhpelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:52 AM   #18

Blue ox sway pro hitch reviews

Vaneta, Something was being done wrong. Whether it was setup or the act of doing it I don't know. Either way, glad you weren't hurt seriously. Hooking and unhooking can be dangerous no matter what your using. My 9 and 11 years old sons have latched the bars with supervision. I have never had them release with any real force. Truck is in line with the trailer and I use the trailer jack to take the tension off the bars. Been using our BlueOx for two years and I'm happy as can be with this setup.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:09 PM   #19
JMC

We're picking up our trailer tomorrow and I went with the Blue Ox SwayPro. Will report back after I get some time with it.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:48 PM   #20

Another happy user. Have used it for one season and I like the ease of setup, no greasy bars, and good control while towing.
I did have an issue with it though. The nice finish that they apply to the shank was applied too thick and I had to grind it off to get it to slide into the receiver.

And yes I jack up the tongue to release the bars as it makes it much easier. My wife hurt her hand a tiny bit once while releasing as the tension surprised her I think.

Cheers