Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-20-2016, 10:33 AM   #1

CAT scale weigh error??

Weighed my rig not too long ago. I weighed with the trailer connected and my E2 WDH engaged. Then weighed the truck alone. Didn't consider weighing the trailer hooked up with no WD connected.

How much weight should actually transfer to the front axle? I've read zero and up to 15%.

Truck sticker lists front/rear axle weights at 3900lbs. Gross weight is still a slight mystery because I've seen numerous charts from Dodge but I think it is 6700lbs.

Truck and trailer weights:
Steer axle - 3560
Drive axle - 3720
Combined - 12500

Truck only:
Steer axle - 3500
Drive axle - 3020
Gross - 6520
andrewjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:51 AM   #2

The recommended amount should be listed in your tv owners manual.

With that said, most will suggest returning the lost front axle weight (with tt hooked up, but no wd bars attached) back to 100%, so in your case the fa would weigh 3500lbs with the tt and the wd bars latched (hooked) up. You are ousted you are currently over the tv only fa weight, but only by 60lbs.... There are a few that will run a little heavier (like you are slcurrently set up), but that is a decision you need to make compared to the owners manual recommendation... The "old school" way was to get equal drop for both the tv front and rear axles (or slightly more drop for ra), but that changed a little over 10yrs ago or so (could be longer now...) when th tv manufactures started "raking" the trucks.

There are some trucks that it is now recommended to only return 50%, or even 25% of the lower weight to the fa, letting the rear doe most of the work.

Depending on the year of your truck the gvwr should be listed on a sticker somewhere in the drivers door jamb. Probably the same sticker as the axle ratings are on...

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote