Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-18-2017, 05:22 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Exclamation Caution: Receiver Hitch-Extensions

Just a cautionary heads-up to folks that use a receiver hitch-extension for towing cargo trailers and flat towing vehicles.

I've seen these "extensions" used on motorhomes (some FW's) when towing cargo trailers to allow for added clearance between the rear of the TV and the cargo trailer's front wall during turns......, cargo trailers tend to have a short A-frame.

Typical receiver hitch-extension:

Most of these extensions are two "hollow" square tubes welded together (one inserted into the other) and typically rated at 300lbs to 350lbs tongue weight with a 3,500lb trailer weight capacity. They also come with a note stating that using a hitch extender will reduce your receiver hitch's overall capacity by 50 percent.

Source: Curt Hitch Extender for 2" Hitch Receivers - 8" Long Curt Hitch Accessories C45791

I worked with a fellow camper at the CG this past week on his MH and cargo trailer combo where he used this same 350lb rated hitch extension. He had been experiencing considerable downward flexing of the hitch extension & 500lb rated ball mount while in tow.

He had a 7,000lb GVWR cargo trailer loaded with two Harleys, a large rolling tool chest, and numerous other heavy items. Using my Sherline scale we confirmed he had a 650lb loaded tongue weight. The resolution was to remove the hitch-extension and purchase a higher rated ball mount to insert directly into the MH's 1,000lb tongue weight rated receiver. His cargo trailer had a V-nose front end, so MH turns wasn't an issue.

Some hitch manufactures do offer a hitch-extension rated at 1,000lb tongue weight/10,000lb trailer weight.., but it still carries the 50% TV receiver capacity reduction. However, the receiver's 50% tongue weight reduction may trump the hitch extension's 1,000lb rating. This particular rated hitch extension uses a "solid" square tube weldment inserted into the TV's receiver.

Source: https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Acces...x/BX88264.html

Note; some manufactures of receiver hitches may have restrictions on using hitch-extensions.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:07 AM   #2

A trailer toad is the solution to this problem all together. I do not have one. But I do want one to take 100% of the tongue weight off of my TV.

TV- 2015 CHEVY 2500 DURAMAX
TT- 2015 JAYCO EAGLE 314BHDS
bigmeaux12 is offline   Reply With Quote