Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #1

creaking sound coming from hitch??

I have a weight dist hitch with that has the torsion bars with the chains. The bars are making a creaking sound every time I take a corner both left and right turns. It makes a lot of noise. I don't see anything unusual when I looked at it. It didn't do this last year. I tried cleaning the dirt and grime off the holes in the hitch where the bars sit, and I cleaned off the pins on the bars, same thing happens.
Any ideas?

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #2

I just had this problem when I went camping two weeks ago. It didn't start until I reached the campsite and it was getting embarassing because of how loud it was. My issue was a piece of steel spot welded on the inside of the frame where the snap up brackets are installed. The one of the spot welds was broken, so...unknown...to me the snap up bracket, with so much pressure on it was moving with the steel. I figured it out after trying to tighten it and finding that the bolt was going further each time, since it was bending the steel plate into the frame. I also took off all the parts and drove with a regular hitch to confirm that was my problem. Trailer was silent without the chains hooked up putting the pressure on the snap up bracket. I ended up drilling a 5/8 hole so that the snap up bracket bolt would go right through the steel and make contact with the frame. Problem solved.

Jayco 197
Dodge Durango
3firetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:49 PM   #3

I will pull off the propane tanks tomorrow and look at the back side of the frame rail where that bolt is. I am going to measure the distance the two snap brackets are on the frame rail from the hitch too, and make sure its the same no both sides. Thanks for the suggestion.

From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:11 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Basically the snap-up bracket on a standard WDH should be located such that the snap-up bracket chain hangs perpendicular to the ground when the TV/TT combination is straight, thus allowing the spring bars to move freely during TV turns. Also, check that you have at least 5 chain links under tension, in most cases anything less may cause the end of the spring bar to hit the TT A-frame (all sorts of noise).

Oh, only tighten the snap-up bracket bolt 1/4 to 1/2 turn, over tightening will compromise the bracket creating unwanted movement and noise in a TV turn...., even bending the snap-up bracket saddle over top of the A-frame.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #5

I had that situation in my first season and it ended up being a lack of grease on the ball and on the wt distribution bars (at the sockets). Once I put some heavy grease on both i've never heard a peep since. And believe me it was noisy prior to that!
Old 05-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #6

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will be taking it apart and I'll let you know what I find with the brackets.
Someone told me to try two or three pieces of wax paper on the pins where they sit in the hitch. They said it worked for their noise. Once they get to the site or back home they just throw what's left of the wax paper away. No grease to deal with.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #7

My Dad towed a trailer back in the 80's with torsion bars on the hitch, and he was told that the noise is normal for that type of towing. He had the type where the bar sat in a depression on the bar that was attached to the trailer in a hump, and the noise was the torsion bar lifting slightly on one side when he took a corner. He use a Reese hitch. He was also told to never use grease or any other type of lubricant on the bars, only on the ball. You should check with your hitch installer to see what they say is best.

Soon to be: 2019 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5RLTS 5th Wheel
2018: 21 days Camping
wakamicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #8

light coat of grease on the sockets. Mine has zerk fittings on the hitch (round bar type) to keep wear.friction and noise down.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:37 PM   #9

We found the same thing - grease on the ball and the torsion arm sockets. No more noise. Then last weekend we came home with on and off rain. Had terrible noise again! Found it was the friction sway bar. When I took it off for driveway maneuvering the noise went away. Any hints for dealing with this?
waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #10

I had a friction sway bar on my tent trailer. The dealer told me to always remove it when maneuvering into position in a campground or backing up my driveway to put it away. If it shrieks when going around corners in normal driving, you have it too tight, loosen the unit a turn or too. But not too much to reduce the anti-sway for your trailer. It is a balancing act. Too much it shrieks, not enough and the anti-sway doesn't work properly.

Soon to be: 2019 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5RLTS 5th Wheel
2018: 21 days Camping
wakamicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #11

Normally mine is quiet. It seems to start making noise when it gets wet. I will try loosening it a bit next time. Thanks.
waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #12

The creaking noise was caused by the sway bar. I loosened up the tension, and slid the inner section out. Cleaned it up with some disc brake cleaner, let it dry, put it back in and the noise is gone.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:54 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

chuckworkb,

Thanks for the follow-up..., always good to close out a thread confirming the root cause and the fix.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:48 AM   #14

Noise is normal as far as I know. My noise is from the anti sway. Shreik means it is to tight ,I adjust mine to a groan.
Pitch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:11 AM   #15

A little noise is OK, my creaking, and groaning was really loud.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #16

What grease is recommended? I also have the loud noise. One thing i noticed is that where the WDH connects to the trailer is only held in place by one bolt that can be tightened and loosend and has moved back and forth. Any suggestions to keep it in place better?
roccoecu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #17

Someone told me about putting sheets of wax paper on the pins where the trunnion bars lock into the hitch instead of messing with grease, and it works. I take about a 6 inch piece and fold it in half and put on the two pins before I put the bars on the hitch. When I get where I am going I throw out the wax paper, no greasy mess to deal with.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckworkb View Post
Someone told me about putting sheets of wax paper on the pins where the trunnion bars lock into the hitch instead of messing with grease, and it works. I take about a 6 inch piece and fold it in half and put on the two pins before I put the bars on the hitch. When I get where I am going I throw out the wax paper, no greasy mess to deal with.
Awhile back I saw a fellow camper rubbing a old candle all over the sockets/arms on his WDH. Makes sense now.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #19

We have the same problem towing a Whitehawk 35' with a Husky Centerline WDH. The dealer told us it was a combination of the dual axles on the trailer trying to turn, and the bars on the hitch sliding. He suggested some dry graphite spray to reduce the noise. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet.
GeorgeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #20

ALWAYS remove the sway bar before backing up. This is even true if you dont think you will get into an angle where it will bottom out...just good to get into the routine of removing it. Typically while the wifey is checking in at the office I'll go out and remove the bar and store it in the TT storage compartment just so its not forgotten and bad things happen.