Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-20-2015, 07:33 PM   #1

Question Creaking sound on my brad new Jayflight 23MB

Two questions:

I just purchased a 23MB and took delivery. I towed it home and noticed that when I go backed it up on my driveway that the leaf springs rockers really make a loud creaking/poping noise while slowing backing it up the driveway. Is this normal for a new trailer?

I'm not sure if this is related but I could never get the trailer brakes to lock up using my F150. I was told setup the TBC to go about 20mph and squeeze the controller until the brakes lock up. Then back down one notch. No matter how much gain I put on brakes they would never lock up the trailer. I was at a 10 gain and while I could feel it grab pretty good they never locked up. Is that normal?

Truck: 1 year old 2013 F150 with Ecoboost V6 and tow package. Never towed a thing with it until now.

Towing: WDS rated for 10k and anti sway bar

Camper: Jayco Jayflight 23MB / 4300lbs

Any help would be great!
WildlifeTag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:12 PM   #2

Creaking popping sounds are pretty normal. Its either your WDH or its the springs popping because the wheels are out of alignment as you make the turn. Either way... completely normal.

Can't help with your brakes.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
Creaking popping sounds are pretty normal. Its either your WDH or its the springs popping because the wheels are out of alignment as you make the turn. Either way... completely normal.

Can't help with your brakes.

Thank you. I had a buddy of mine that tows a lot tell me the same thing about the pops. I appreciate the help!!
WildlifeTag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:23 PM   #4

The way i got told to set the brakes was to roll along slowly and squeeze the slider so that at full on you should stop pretty sharp but not lock up. I cant imagine you would want your trailer brakes locking up under hard braking especially in the wet. Might cause handling problems. I could be wrong as ive only had trailers here for a couple of years now but so far i have had no issues in any weather.
I would be interested to see what more experienced people think?
Old 03-20-2015, 08:37 PM   #5

"The way i got told to set the brakes was to roll along slowly and squeeze the slider so that at full on you should stop pretty sharp but not lock up. I cant imagine you would want your trailer brakes locking up under hard braking especially in the wet. Might cause handling problems."

You are correct; you do not want the trailer brakes locking up. The original advice is good. set the TBC so that when towing 15 to 20 MPH on a flat level surface without using the vehicle brakes, squeeze the controller so that the trailer brakes lock up or come extremely close and stop the vehicle. Then back off on the controller adjustment a little. If you have a place where you can safely test it to get it accurate, load your TT up, and do it again.
Just as when you hook up the TT you can feel the pull on the vehicle as you tow it, so should you feel the tension of the trailer just enough to be aware that it is braking while simultaneously braking the vehicle at normal speeds.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:31 PM   #6

Could it be that the brakes just aren't broken in yet? Just like your car after a brake job your trailer won't stop it's best until you have a few hundred to a thousand miles on the new brakes. You may find yourself having to back off the gain as the miles increase.
Russ661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:42 AM   #7

We just picked up our 23MBH yesterday with a new Equalizer brand WDH. The tech told us that it (the WDH) would make quite a bit of noise and it did. I believe he said there is a break-in period and it will get better over time. This was my first experience towing a travel trailer too. Had he not told about the noise prior to us leaving the dealership, we would have been concerned. The the creeks and pops only occurred when traveling slowly and making turns or backing up. On the highway it was pretty quiet.
Hope this helps.
Enjoy!!
Old 03-21-2015, 08:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildlifeTag View Post
Two questions:

I'm not sure if this is related but I could never get the trailer brakes to lock up using my F150. I was told setup the TBC to go about 20mph and squeeze the controller until the brakes lock up. Then back down one notch. No matter how much gain I put on brakes they would never lock up the trailer. I was at a 10 gain and while I could feel it grab pretty good they never locked up. Is that normal?
I could never get my brakes to lock up either. I really don't get why the brake controller instructions state that but like Higgy mentioned, if you can stop your setup just using your trailer brakes then that is a good thing. I adjust mine so that I can feel the trailer brakes coming on first while applying my TV brakes. I prefer my HTT brakes to work a little harder than my TV.
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:48 AM   #9

I tend to agree with russ on the brakes .. my car trailer took a few hundred miles before the brakes began to work as they should and then i really had to turn the gain down to keep them from locking up... a brake lining place told me it usually takes a few hundred to a thousand miles for the pads to get seated properly
Old 03-21-2015, 12:14 PM   #10

Another piece of helpful advice for those new to WDH systems. It is generally known and most places will tell you, do not back up with a sway bar in place. As well, your sway bars should be loosened and allowed to travel free, if you are doing a lot of in town driving, requiring sharp maneuvers and/or lots of 90 degree turns. My practice, is only to put the sway bar in place just prior to entering the highway (yet seriously, with our new rig with the wide stance axles, I have not needed the sway bar at all).
What many do not tell you, is that often times to reduce stress on the hitch and WDH Bars, it is also a good practice to remove them prior to the maneuvers to back your trailer into the parking place at your final destination. Especially if your backing maneuver requires a near 90 turn.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:59 PM   #11

Whether or not you should be backing up with a WDH may depend on manufacturer. A video on the Equal-i-zer website (timecode 2:15 to 2:35 in the video) says there are no backing, turning or weather restrictions. Check it out here --> https://www.equalizerhitch.com/Equal...ort/videos.php

The dealer did not inform me about any restriction and just told me there will be some noise during break in. They did recommend cleaning, lubing some friction points and making sure everything remained tight, so to your point, there may be some additional wear by not removing them for backing etc. Since Equal-i-zer says there is no need to remove them for backing I will go with what they are recommending. Having to pullover to attach/remove the bars frequently doesn't sound like fun but sounds like it depends on the manufacturer.

I may attempt to run without them though just to see how the trailer handles with out them.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:06 PM   #12

Regarding the brakes, my dealer told me there is a break in period and he told me it would take about 5 stops before they started working properly. He set my integrated brake controller to 5 and told me to adjust as I felt I needed to. He said you should feel the trailer brakes working but if it feels like the trailer is pushing the truck during a stop, apply more control. If the trailer is tugging and slowing the truck during a stop to back off a bit.

On may way home I only added a little control as I could tell they were working and the truck stopped like it would w/o a trailer on the back.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:13 PM   #13

Sorry, please do not misunderstand. I do not no pull over and remove the WD bars frequently. I back up a lot with them on. However, when I park my TT at my house, I have a very sharp turn to negotiate while backing, so I take the bars off only when I get home and am ready to put the TT away (sometimes I will take the bars off when backing into a campground spot depending on the severity of the turn). However, during travels I leave the WD bars on.
Not everyone has one. Many people have the misconception of calling the WD bars, sway bars.The sway bar is a different device altogether.On that, I will pull over at the earliest convenience if I find myself towing my rig through standard city traffic.
However, as I said, with our new TT and the wide stance axles, the dealership told me to give it a try without the sway bar and see how it performs. He was right. I haven't used it.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildlifeTag View Post
Two questions:

I just purchased a 23MB and took delivery. I towed it home and noticed that when I go backed it up on my driveway that the leaf springs rockers really make a loud creaking/poping noise while slowing backing it up the driveway. Is this normal for a new trailer?

Truck: 1 year old 2013 F150 with Ecoboost V6 and tow package. Never towed a thing with it until now.

Towing: WDS rated for 10k and anti sway bar

Camper: Jayco Jayflight 23MB / 4300lbs

Any help would be great!
Hi Andrew, You mentioned that your F150 is a year old. If you haven't done this yet, check to make sure the fuse and/or relay is connected powering the plug on our tow vehicle. When I purchased my 2500HD there was a 12V hot wire that still had to be connected by the dealer. It was in the engine comartment. The easy way to check is have someone step on the brake while parked and get down next to the TT wheels, you should hear the electric brakes make a slight whining or humming sound. Just a thought.

Mark
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:23 PM   #15

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ661 View Post
Could it be that the brakes just aren't broken in yet? Just like your car after a brake job your trailer won't stop it's best until you have a few hundred to a thousand miles on the new brakes. You may find yourself having to back off the gain as the miles increase.
+1

2015 Silverado 2500HD LTZ Diesel
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 RSTS
F14man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:58 PM   #16

I must apologize for my own confusion. I have finally noticed you are utilizing the Equalizer system which is weight distributing and sway control is integrated. It does not allow for varying chain link positions to make adjustments per the loadout of the TT and TV. Personally, I have never utilized the equalizer system. I am just not a fan. I do have a good friend who had one. He no longer has the equalizer as well.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:02 PM   #17

I remove my WD bars when I am backing into places where There is more than a 25 percent angle. First time that I backed my TT into my campsite, I has a really difficult time removing them. I had to pull forward to straighten out, remove the bars andd then back in....never had a problem since.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:26 AM   #18

My brother in law just picked up a used 2015 x23b and has a 2013 f150. When he was setting up his brake controller (factory integrated) he did the 20mph method and also he didn't get the trailer brakes to lock up so he just left the gain at the highest setting. Also i have the equalizer hitch it does make a lot of noise when turning sharper turns (city street driving and backing up).
05 f150 5.4 v8 (sold)
nwminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:16 PM   #19

You can quiet a lot of that creaking sound by applying a good amount of bearing grease to the ball. I found after about 1500 miles I start to hear the creaking again. I use a 12 Oz? ? Solo cup to cover the ball when not in use. It fits perfectly.

I did not notice what type if wdh you have. On my Eq hitch I grease the pivots on the turn ions too, and that helps too. That area has to be grease more often.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:50 PM   #20

I rolled a trailer on the I 75 20 years ago. You do want the trailer brakes the lock up when you push the slider on full. Even now with my 5th wheel I push the slider full my brakes lock up. I learned a lot of things back then I carry with me today.
b1mmuo27 is offline   Reply With Quote