Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-15-2016, 06:51 PM   #11
You will almost certainly need a WDH. I just looked at my 2015 F250 with a factory hitch. It is rated at 800lbs without the WDH. Of course there is plenty of margin built into these things, but I would not be regularly towing something with 800-1000lb tongue weight. Also, the WDH will make for a much more stable towing experience.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 06:54 PM   #12
Originally Posted by NC Hauler View Post
I agree with NC Hauler. If you want a decent towing experience, you should probably get the proper towing setup.

jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:14 AM   #13
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post

I could be wrong, but I don't believe the factory hitches in '03 were as stout as they are now. Most of the older factory hitches had a need for a wdh over 500 or 600lbs tw. There should be a sticker on your hitch stating the specs, or possibly in the owners manual.

Do your parents plan on towing the new rig, or just parking it an a permanent site? If they plan on traveling, I would just order the hitch yourself if you have the time for it to show up at the your door.

That trailer will have about a 900lb tw before loading a personal items in it (dry tw plus the propane tanks and a battery which are not included in the "brochure weight"). Though with a rear kitchen it is hard to estimate a loaded tw, depending on how your parents load the tt I would probably go with 1200lb wd bars myself.

As mentioned, you will probably be better off adjusting the hitch yourself. Once the tt is loaded, ready for a trip it will probably need to be readjusted from the initial setting, more so if the dealer sets it up...

If needed, my signature links have a ton of wdh info.

Good luck, and safe travels!!!
The plan for now is to travel with it. Not long distances as dad is good for driving about 2-3 hours at a time. That being said, we really don't know how long before he wont be able to drive as his health seems to be changing almost daily and I don't see my mom ever towing this as she doesn't like driving any more than she has too. I think im really going to encourage them to buy a hitch just because. What are the thoughts about the kind with the torsion bars also used as the sway bars? I believe one of the brands is equalizer? With those, you don't have to disconnect them prior to backing?
'97 Jayco Eagle 314BHS

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:53 PM   #14
Site Team
According to our poll the Equalizer is the most popular choice of WD system here at JOF.

2004 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0l, 4.10r

2010 Jayco Jayflight 28BHS
Reese Strait Line with Dual Cam
P3 Brk controller
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 11:34 PM   #15
Check your owners manual and the Fleet Ford towing guide. They will tell you what your truck is rated for both with a wdh and without. We have the equivalent Excursion and use a wdh with a smaller trailer. I would think you would need one.

We have the Equalizer and experience 0 sway even when big rigs pass us. We do not disconnect when backing up. I sure hope we weren't supposed to!!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

2016 Jay Feather X254
2001 Ford Excursion 6.8L V10 4.30's
Equal-i-zer 1000/10,000 WDH

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote