Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-15-2016, 03:09 PM   #1

Dealer says no need for a WDH or Sway control hitch?

Ive posted recently in the TT section about a 29rks my folks are buying. The dealer is 342 miles from our place. When asked about what the tow vehicle would be, I told him it would be a 2003 F250 V10 and I had asked about what kind of hitch he would recommend for it. His response was that was the perfect truck for that camper and we would need a 2 and 5/16 ball and he and his service dept didn't think we would need a WDH or sway control. I don't think that this camper has the built in sway control now offered by Jayco, although it is a 2015 MY. So my plan is to tow it back home for my folks with no sway control or torsion bars. IF it doesn't go well, we can buy a hitch at a later date I guess... Is the sales person crazy or do newer models really tow that nice? Im kind of nervous because my BIL used this truck last summer to tow their Jayfeather 29L just about to the same place we are picking this one up, and he said it was the worst sway he had ever experienced, and he normally pulls it with a Durango...

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 03:20 PM   #2

By the weights you probably don't need a WD hitch, except if that trailer has a particularly high tongue weight and exceeds the receiver rating.

That said WD does nothing for sway, unless it's one with integrated sway control like an Equal-i-Zer.

Personally I would want both WD and sway control just to be cautious. For a couple hundred $ more I would get it now and require the dealer to set it up.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 03:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
By the weights you probably don't need a WD hitch, except if that trailer has a particularly high tongue weight and exceeds the receiver rating.

That said WD does nothing for sway, unless it's one with integrated sway control like an Equal-i-Zer.

Personally I would want both WD and sway control just to be cautious. For a couple hundred $ more I would get it now and require the dealer to set it up.
X2
B&W RVK 3600 hitch
USAF Viet Nam Vet
NC Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 03:30 PM   #4

HMMM, I didn't think about the truck side of the hitch... Just checked the emails and the dealer says the dry hitch weight is 765lbs. Not sure what the truck can do. Maybe I will just have them purchase one from etrailer and have it ready to go when we pick it up...

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Old 06-15-2016, 03:30 PM   #5
BCK

x3

One of the rules of thumb is if the GTW is 50% or more of the GVWR of the tow vehicle then you should use a WDH. I expect in your case it is. Sometimes what you can do and what you should do are quite different - I think you are right to question this one.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 03:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
But don't necessarily expect the dealer to set it up right. Bought ours along with the TT from a large dealer here, and there were a couple of issues with the installation. I still have some work to do to get it dialled in correctly.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 03:37 PM   #7

Just to clarify its the Sway Command PREP that is on your unit. We had the rest of the Sway Command actually installed and it works very well..
Not having a bar that can break for us was a plus
Our dealer also said no WDH but our unit is small and under limits. After now 10100 miles we agree.

But ours is much smaller than yours.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
But don't necessarily expect the dealer to set it up right. Bought ours along with the TT from a large dealer here, and there were a couple of issues with the installation. I still have some work to do to get it dialled in correctly.
Agreed -- but hauling all the necessary tools and installing in the dealers parking lot doesn't sound like much fun. I would take my chances with the dealers initial set up then fine tune once the trailer is at home and loaded up.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:52 PM   #9

Plow,

I could be wrong, but I don't believe the factory hitches in '03 were as stout as they are now. Most of the older factory hitches had a need for a wdh over 500 or 600lbs tw. There should be a sticker on your hitch stating the specs, or possibly in the owners manual.

Do your parents plan on towing the new rig, or just parking it an a permanent site? If they plan on traveling, I would just order the hitch yourself if you have the time for it to show up at the your door.

That trailer will have about a 900lb tw before loading a personal items in it (dry tw plus the propane tanks and a battery which are not included in the "brochure weight"). Though with a rear kitchen it is hard to estimate a loaded tw, depending on how your parents load the tt I would probably go with 1200lb wd bars myself.

As mentioned, you will probably be better off adjusting the hitch yourself. Once the tt is loaded, ready for a trip it will probably need to be readjusted from the initial setting, more so if the dealer sets it up...

If needed, my signature links have a ton of wdh info.

Good luck, and safe travels!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 06:29 PM   #10
Site Team

Agree with others, issue is the receiver hitch weight rating without WD.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 06:51 PM   #11

You will almost certainly need a WDH. I just looked at my 2015 F250 with a factory hitch. It is rated at 800lbs without the WDH. Of course there is plenty of margin built into these things, but I would not be regularly towing something with 800-1000lb tongue weight. Also, the WDH will make for a much more stable towing experience.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 06:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Hauler View Post
X2
I agree with NC Hauler. If you want a decent towing experience, you should probably get the proper towing setup.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Plow,

I could be wrong, but I don't believe the factory hitches in '03 were as stout as they are now. Most of the older factory hitches had a need for a wdh over 500 or 600lbs tw. There should be a sticker on your hitch stating the specs, or possibly in the owners manual.

Do your parents plan on towing the new rig, or just parking it an a permanent site? If they plan on traveling, I would just order the hitch yourself if you have the time for it to show up at the your door.

That trailer will have about a 900lb tw before loading a personal items in it (dry tw plus the propane tanks and a battery which are not included in the "brochure weight"). Though with a rear kitchen it is hard to estimate a loaded tw, depending on how your parents load the tt I would probably go with 1200lb wd bars myself.

As mentioned, you will probably be better off adjusting the hitch yourself. Once the tt is loaded, ready for a trip it will probably need to be readjusted from the initial setting, more so if the dealer sets it up...

If needed, my signature links have a ton of wdh info.

Good luck, and safe travels!!!
The plan for now is to travel with it. Not long distances as dad is good for driving about 2-3 hours at a time. That being said, we really don't know how long before he wont be able to drive as his health seems to be changing almost daily and I don't see my mom ever towing this as she doesn't like driving any more than she has too. I think im really going to encourage them to buy a hitch just because. What are the thoughts about the kind with the torsion bars also used as the sway bars? I believe one of the brands is equalizer? With those, you don't have to disconnect them prior to backing?

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Old 06-16-2016, 02:53 PM   #14
Site Team

According to our poll the Equalizer is the most popular choice of WD system here at JOF.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...poll-6130.html
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 11:34 PM   #15

Check your owners manual and the Fleet Ford towing guide. They will tell you what your truck is rated for both with a wdh and without. We have the equivalent Excursion and use a wdh with a smaller trailer. I would think you would need one.

We have the Equalizer and experience 0 sway even when big rigs pass us. We do not disconnect when backing up. I sure hope we weren't supposed to!!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote